Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 05:33AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62880
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 87
Total: 88

Author Topic: Flexi Hours whilst at university  (Read 2115 times)

£3MealDeal

Flexi Hours whilst at university
« on: 26-09-18, 11:47AM »
Hello,

So i'm currently on a Flexi contract for 12 hours a week, working all day Saturday and working Friday evenings (I'm on CSD). I'm a university student and i'm retaking the year, due to last year i failed the year, now i'm not blaming my job, but doing overtime when all the time during term time definitely didn't help. So this year I've spoke to my manger and said I don't want to be doing loads of overtime so I can focus on my studies. Obviously I will still do overtime when I can, but since im the only flexi contract on the desk I dont want to constantly have my name written down on shifts that I haven't agreed to. Yesterday I had a call asking why I wasn't in when i was written down on the rota, and I said that I had told my manager I cant do it, and hes written me down anyway behind my back (I showed them the text of me saying no). They are now saying that he can write me down whenever he wants as im flexi, but I know this isn't the case as I have to at least sign to it. Im already doing two extra shifts this week on top of my normal two shifts, and they're trying to say im not flexible, even though im at university full time as well! During holidays I pretty much work full time and within reason do anything they ask. But now im back at university they are not respecting that and are trying to put all the pressure on me as im the only flexi trained on a late night for the CSD(because of this i also never get my breaks on a late night shift and i am always by myself).

I understand im flexi, but im pretty sure on my availability sheet I had one set of hours for holidays (basically free all week) and another sheet for my uni hours(which is mostly a few evenings and Sundays). This was for my previous manager though since we have had a new manager for CSD over the last year. The main issue with this is, im pretty sure on my uni hours sheet it asked how many shifts I could do a week extra and I wrote down 1, and it also asked how many hours extra and i said 7 or something. I do try to do more than 1 if i can, but i only put 1 to cover myself from any issues that I've seen happen to people.

Does anyone have any advice for this? Im usually at university 9-5 Monday-Friday so surely they cant flex me in for like 3 evening shifts and a Saturday and Sunday?
Thanks for any advice :)

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
Re: Flexi Hours whilst at university
« Reply #1 on: 26-09-18, 12:37PM »
Don't worry about it mate. You're only obliged to work your contracted hours no matter what your Numpty of a manager says. They're trying to take the p**s as usual. Just stand your ground and don't be bullied into shifts you don't want to do. Your education is far more important.
« Last Edit: 26-09-18, 12:38PM by Teddybonkers »

Ulsterboy

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 26-09-18, 07:43PM »
Arrange for a meeting, bring a rep, due to change of circumstances you wish to become permanent or reorganise your availability window to suit what you can work . This you can ask for once a year.

RubyRed

« Reply #3 on: 27-09-18, 02:20PM »
I think Teddybonkers advice is questionable to say the least. To be a flexi worker you need to have 36 hours of availability and can be flexed to work that if it sits in your availablity. I would ask your manager if you can come if your flexi contract and explain why. Good luck

Ulsterboy

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 27-09-18, 03:29PM »
The availability window is 48hrs unless it's been changed recently , though the max you can be forced to work is 36.5 including your core ( contracted ) hours .

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 27-09-18, 03:30PM »
Ulsterboy has the best advice do that ASAP join the union if you have to always good to have someone in your corner. Look o on our tesco at the policy surrounding switching from a flexi contract

£3MealDeal

« Reply #6 on: 04-10-18, 10:51AM »
Thanks for the advice guys!

Arrange for a meeting, bring a rep, due to change of circumstances you wish to become permanent or reorganise your availability window to suit what you can work . This you can ask for once a year.

I'm already in the union, I've been in the Union for about 2 years now but never had an issue so never really used it. You say about asking to be permanent? Do you mean a non Flexi contact? If so then there is no way my store will do that, I'm pretty sure they have every student on a Flexi and never give out normal contracts anymore. Another thing I don't get is how can I have a 48 hour availability window if I'm at university full time?  :o I know some people at my store that are Flexi contracts that are on 8 hours a week but they go university in another city so they only work on weekends for 8 hours, how are they allowed to get away with that when they technically should be treated the same as me

claden

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 04-10-18, 02:12PM »
You can ask to switch to a real contract once a year.