Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19-10-19, 11:24AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8508
  • Latest: sheryle
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61719
  • Total Topics: 1084
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: What's the procedure for absence, when is a welcome back out of process  (Read 7266 times)

brappy

Have Tesco changed their rules on welcome backs having to be done within the first 24hrs or its out of process?
Could someone link me to the policy please if possible, I have searched everywhere!
Also, does anyone know if it's standard procedure to receive a written warning for absence at 5% in an AR when you've been genuinely sick?
Thanks in advance

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Welcome backs should be done before you start your shift on certain fresh areas like counters or during your shift for everywhere else.

Warnings are given for not attending work. Just because you have been genuinely sick does not mean a warning can't be issued. However the managers should consider the big picture ie have u had other absences in the previous 6 months; are there any trends (ie always sick at payday or before holiday) and is absence linked to any underlying health issues.

If you are in Usdaw always take a rep into AR meetings

Welcome backs are sometimes missed on the day of return because colleagues don't inform the duty manager that they have returned after an absence, which they are supposed to do. Did you notify the duty manager when you returned to work?
Unfortunately, managers don't know everybody who has been absent, they may have been absent themselves.

brappy

Yeah duty was aware but never got around to it. I'm just curious if this welcome back that was done a day late should have been used in my % calculation.

First written seems a bit harsh when you've never had any next steps or a verbal.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
If it's not done on the day, and you have informed duty of your return to work at the beginning of your shift, then it is out of process, therefore the warning cannot stand, and cannot be used to escalate in future.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

brappy

I have asked in work and apparently it's 3 days before its out of process

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Who told you that  ???

oldfashionedplayer

Arrange a date and time for the meeting – the absence review meeting must be held as soon as possible
but at least within seven calendar days of the colleague’s return to work or eight days if the colleague is a
one or two day a week worker.

People Policies - A-Z - Sickness absence / absence review meeting pack.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
That is for the absence review meeting....not the welcome back meeting....which is to ascertain if you are fit to return to work, a question you should be asked on the day of your return to work.....where you have to declare and sign you are fit to return...3 days later?? My arse!!! :-X  :-X
« Last Edit: 23-09-18, 06:45PM by lucgeo »

oldfashionedplayer

doesn't seem to say anything otherthan they aim for the first 24 hours on a welcome back, but if not then they would give you a time and date, both sickness and welcome are in the same policies, the sickness says up to 8 days depending on part time or full time to sort it out, welcome back review doesn't specify dates in the examples nor in the policy, so either they both apply to the same 8 day rule of time / arrangement if not sorted within first 24 hours, or it's just been left out completely and there isn't a timeflow which is unlikely. lol

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
That is for the absence review meeting....not the welcome back meeting....which is to ascertain if you are fit to return to work, a question you should be asked on the day of your return to work.....where you have to declare and sign you are fit to return...3 days later?? My arse!!! :-X  :-X
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Unless the policies have drastically changed......report to duty on your first day back, who should then arrange a welcome back meeting, either before your shift starts for certain fresh depts....or during your shift on that day...the absence review should only take place, if you are over the % of absence and then should be conducted within the timescale of the 8th day being the last day. If the welcome back is not done on the first day of your return to work, then it voids any absence review as it is out of process, and as such should not proceed and can not be used for consideration in future absence reviews or upscaling any warnings.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
No WB then no AR. If no WB took place then there was no absence ( technically ), as the no WB made it out of process.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

claden

• Smart Arse
I always go for it being out of process if the WB isn't done on the first day but there is nothing in the policy that says what is or isn't out of process it's just guidelines which I always quote at them and they either have never read the policy so have no idea or don't know if what I'm saying is actually a fact lol

Unsung heroes

WBM don't technically have a time scale. If you work with fresh foods and you've been off with a virus then you should hand it done at the earliest opportunity. If you work with machinery ie back door then this is also the case but a WBM doesn't necessarily need to be done on your first shift back.no clear time scales but if WBM isn't done till 3rd day then management can't count ARM as 7 days from that point as well be out of process.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
Lets be honest, no one at tesco has any clue what the policies are for pretty much anything.

A good union rep would know straight away about all this as its their job to DEFEND you. If your union rep does not know then you should be asking them why they don't know.

Me2015

• Regular Pain
Union rep is not to defend, it’s their role, in a joint partnership remember, to ensure the meeting is fair, to the point and to a relevant policy.

Yes, they should know what they are talking about but to use the word ‘DEFEND’ is a misrepresentation of their role; what if the person was being investigated for a clear threat to an individual or customer, they were caught with sticky fingers at the checkouts, had a TV gone through the door without being paid for? Would their role have been to, as you put it ‘DEFEND’ or to ensure a fair Hearing was being undertaken for the person in question?

Iron Giant

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
While I'd agree they are there to ensure a fair hearing, lets face it, the ineptitude of most managers to follow process puts them into a defensive role by default.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Ulsterboy

• Know All
Preacherpauly , the phrase you use for union reps is " their job". Wrong , union reps aren't paid .

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
Lets be honest, no one at tesco has any clue what the policies are for pretty much anything.

A good union rep would know straight away about all this as its their job to DEFEND you. If your union rep does not know then you should be asking them why they don't know.

So in answer to the OP, all WB/RTW related to Sickness Absence Must be done within the first shift back.

As for the interpretation of defend and whether it is apt, I would like you to consider that predominantly if an individual finds themselves being questioned, then they do inherently have to defend themselves.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Shafted

• Know All
Yeah duty was aware but never got around to it. I'm just curious if this welcome back that was done a day late should have been used in my % calculation.

First written seems a bit harsh when you've never had any next steps or a verbal.
The warning process for absence is slightly different and has no verbal warning just a first absence warning etc.

Minnie Mouse

Wonder if someone can help asking for a friend, been off work long term, being told they are to get a phased in back at work but they have to use holidays so to get full pay as their sick pay is up can someone tell me what the process is and do they have to use their holidays or just get paid the reduced hours that they work Thank You

Miss Piggy

• Know All

On both counts, very good reasons to appeal in my opinion.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
Wonder if someone can help asking for a friend, been off work long term, being told they are to get a phased in back at work but they have to use holidays so to get full pay as their sick pay is up can someone tell me what the process is and do they have to use their holidays or just get paid the reduced hours that they work Thank You

Have to consider using holdays. Someone who has been off long term may have used up sick pay and if that is the case they will be unpaid for shortfall in hours. By using hols it prevents this. Also, if holdays have built up whilst off it is a sensible way forward but it should be agreed.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Any return to work programme should be agrees between colleague and manager. Working reduced hours will lead to reduced pay and may well cause a employee stress, which is the last thing anyone recovering from a long term illness needs.

The holiday period ends in March and any outstanding holidays will have to be used up. Using holidays to make up shortfall in hours seems sensible.

The only other option to consider is could the employee take a 3-4 week block of holiday now (fully paid) and then return to work on their contractual hours.