Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19-10-19, 11:30AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8508
  • Latest: sheryle
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61719
  • Total Topics: 1084
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Alledged damaging the brand investigation  (Read 7353 times)

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Alledged damaging the brand investigation
« Reply #25 on: 06-09-18, 06:50PM »
telling somebody you don't shop at tosco is not bad mouthing the company. telling somebody why you don't shop at tosco is just telling the truth. if tosco treated their staff with more respect i might shop there but in the current climate i would rather spend my money elsewhere  >:D

Of course, which is why I said “otherwise".

But we're missing so much context, I mean did some person just come into that store and ask that colleague where they shop, to then go home and  post a status saying that, whilst identifying that colleague?

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 06-09-18, 06:54PM »
I don't know. some people tend to exaggerate and twist words ???

if I was a manager and I saw somebody on social media "bad mouthing" tosco then why should it bother me? if they were "bad mouthing" me personally then yes that would bother me.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 06-09-18, 07:35PM »
If a customer admired your shoes/watch/glasses and you said thanks they're from primark/Specsavers etc is that brand damaging
Would it be wrong of me to suggest that it could be seen as more damaging to the Primark / Specsavers brands to be acknowledged as worn by a mere supermarket employee?  :D
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #28 on: 06-09-18, 07:37PM »
I'm aware that freedom of speech is not a recognised term in the UK, I believe its freedom of expression or very  similar.......splitting hairs does not alter the fact that no firm, body or establishment has the right to dictate that freedom.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #29 on: 06-09-18, 07:47PM »
It's a castrated version of freedom of speech, though that's a whole different  debate in itself.

But either or, neither protect you from retaliation from a private company. A common phrase is, "freedom of speech, not freedom from consequences".

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 06-09-18, 09:10PM »
I think there's more to this... but to tell a customer you shop elsewhere is in itself not 'brand damaging'. I've seen employees from other retailers shopping in our store - in their uniforms. They may work elsewhere, but by shopping here - and that's their choice - they advocate Tesco. That's not the same as damaging the company they work for.

As for 'brand loyalty' there's no such thing in these terms - Tesco is not a 'brand' because it is not a product. I can be loyal to the Nescafe brand but I will buy it wherever it's cheapest. I'm not loyal to the entity that sells it. If you look in my cupboard, there is only ever Nescafe coffee and price drives that purchase, not loyalty. The nonsense that gets touted around by snake-oil marketeers like Drastic about customers wanting to have a relationship with their 'brand' is just so much c**p it makes me sick. Brand loyalty is a rare thing, and is always, always given as part of a whole package of value that is delivered consistently by the product to the customer. Customers want a lot of things from their favoured brands, but only a very few with some sort of emotional incapacity see a brand as a substitute for a human relationship, so Tesco should stop talking about it as if it were.

In absence of all of the facts here, I'd say this is a very overzealous manager in a store that must be absolutely dersperate for sales and obsessed with hitting targets if they are resorting to enforcing brand advocacy by effectively removing your choice to shop elsewhere. A tribunal would have a field day. There's nothing wrong with Tesco 'expecting' brand advocacy but that's at your discretion and not part of your T&Cs.

Customers are not loyal to supermarkets - they shop at them because of a human necessity for food. Would they also take action if you told a customer your cat was one of the 8 out of 10 that preferred Whiskas?
« Last Edit: 06-09-18, 09:13PM by OvaSees »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #31 on: 06-09-18, 10:31PM »
Ah the big saying at the moment "brand damaging" a real favourite with a lot of new and younger managers, we have just lost a manager to Morrisons who kept saying it all the time, even to the point where he accused people of "brand damaging" for walking from their cars to the store entrance in their own coats over the Tesco uniform.

If clowns like him are the future of food retail we are all going to need to start growing our own food very quickly. In a non brand damaging way of course.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Iron Giant

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #32 on: 06-09-18, 11:55PM »
Anyhow said customer has posted it on social media. And a tm has seen it and reported it.

That a colleague is being disciplined over an an allegation is troubling. Especially as the incident was denied to have happened.

Just off to create a fake facebook account and make a comment about my manager kicking my seeing eye dog while drunk and shouting racist comments.
« Last Edit: 06-09-18, 11:59PM by Iron Giant »
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #33 on: 07-09-18, 12:33AM »
Of course if we look at the previous post and the quote within.

Customer puts comment on social media, then Manager happens to see it?
Even with the defining option of a # I suspect the Mangager was either actively doing searches looking to cause a s*** storm, or they were directed to the particular post.

Like has been already said there is more to the chain of events than has been said.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #34 on: 07-09-18, 05:54AM »
So from some of the posts in this thread,
If a manager were to leave tesco and go to work for a competitor, that would be tesco brand damaging, would it not? I would find it difficult to believe that that manager could ever be employed by tesco again. So Dave Lewis damaged the Unilever brand because he left them to come to tesco.

As for the OP,
Did the customer ask them where they shopped? If so was your workmate supposed to lie? Are tesco asking us to be dishonest to our customers? If so surely this is brand damaging of itself. So tesco are asking (indeed in this case 'forcing' would be closer) us to lie to our customers. Can an employer force an employee to lie to their customers? And would this be an enforceable part of a contract?

Not asked if they wanted a rep (is this in the minutes) if so this is evidence of this being out of process before they even start. Regardless of the morality of the original 'crime'.

Put in a grievance under Terms & Conditions.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #35 on: 07-09-18, 08:36AM »
At the end of the day you are free to shop where ever you want. There could be many reasons for visiting a competitor and you used to be encouraged to do SWATs on our competition to see how you could improve your department.

Anyone working for Tesco that claims to have never ever made a purchase in a competitor is lying.

Like others have suggested ask where in your contract it states Tesco can restrict your shopping choices; whether as a  result of this alleged term to only shop in Tesco you are entitled to any back pay for time spent shopping out of working hours and finally where your contract states you should lie to customers.

As long as you haven't been actively promoting competitors (ie handing out Aldi leaflets during your shift in Tesco) or have posted libellous things about the company on social media they don't have a leg to stand on.

Get a rep; put in a grievance and appeal any disciplinary given

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 07-09-18, 08:40AM »
Would answering the door to a Sainsburys delivery in your Tosco uniform be damaging the brand? If so ill have to stop doing it.

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 07-09-18, 11:56AM »
Believe this or not but it is a fact, part of my reasoning for shopping elsewhere, I take my own food to work for meal breaks, in the event my locker is searched, when they find non T branded items in my locker it doesn’t arouse any suspicion, yet if I were to shop at T, there would be T branded products in my locker which even in the most genuine of cases would be questioned when such products are in my work area.

Simple example Morrison’s Soup get no reaction when found in my locker, where as T soup would lead to questions and very likely cause unfounded opinions and suspicion.
« Last Edit: 07-09-18, 11:57AM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 07-09-18, 01:47PM »
penguin, Duracell and optout - thank goodness for your continued voices of reason  :thumbup:

Sidewinder

« Reply #39 on: 07-09-18, 07:40PM »
I don't imagine for one minute that the customer simply posted that Tesco staff shop in other grocers

There are 1001 possibilities here. Maybe 'I was speaking to a Tesco member of staff who said that he doesn't shop in his own store because....he has seen the rats in the warehouse/the counter staff never wash their hands/the store has no regard for food safety/the prices are a rip off/XXXX company has better quality food...'

Without seeing what the customer posted it is impossible to form an opinion over whether the conversation breached social media policy or brought the company into disrepute

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #40 on: 07-09-18, 09:23PM »
Half the problem in cases like this is what gets said in store and what the customer or someone who sees the incident posts on social media are two very different things, I've seen it myself a mild dispute over free bags when the 5p charge came in between a customer and a checkout team support, sorted out without any real issues and the two both shock hands before the customer left, another customer takes a photo of the team support and puts it all over local Facebook groups saying "avoid xxxxxxx store as this vile manager was trying to start a fight with a terrifed customer" team support ends up suspended and investigated, off work for almost a week until the company accepted the post was not a true reflection of what happened.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 07-09-18, 10:30PM »
Not only “half the problem in cases like this” but perhaps life in general very often exhibits gross exaggerations of the truth, not so much to be vindictive or to cause malice but to seemingly Dramatise events.
« Last Edit: 07-09-18, 10:35PM by Duracell »

Duracell.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 08-09-18, 11:44AM »
Social media platforms are notorious for that - nothing on them is ever the reality. People simply use them to paint a brilliantly peachy snapshot of their life or to dramatise things to the point where they are scarier than the outbreak of WW3. On social media and behind the safety of a keyboard people portray everything in extremeties free from any repurcussion or even consequence. It's the modern, digital equivalent of keeping up with the Joneses on the one hand and spreading the gossip in the pub on the other. Social media vs. reality is a very real issue and the company would do well to consider that - how many hotels or restaurants unfairly dismissed employees because of a disgruntled customer sounding off on Trip Advisor even though their grievance was unfounded?

ETUKL

« Reply #43 on: 08-09-18, 12:08PM »
Just cause someone writes something on social media isnt reason for displicine.  This under law is hearsay and insufficient evidence.  Suggest take union in as you didnt put comment on social media and no evidence to say you said this to a customer.  Therefore no action can be taken as hearsay isnt enough hard evidence otherwise people can go round saying what they want to get people into trouble. 

Blondie

« Reply #44 on: 09-09-18, 09:55PM »
Am I allowed to swear on VLH? I'll censor just to be safe.

Complete and utter b*******.

And I'll tell you why it is.

In my store, we work opposite a massive home improvement store, which has a much better stock of products than we do for those areas, and when we do not stock items that customers are searching for, we routinely send them to this other store instead. Even our f****** managers do this. And it happens at least once a week, but those occasions are ONLY within the 25 hours that I work, so it could very well be more than that.

In short, an investigation for this is complete nonsense. And I thought I couldn't hate the company anymore than I already do.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #45 on: 25-09-18, 03:53PM »
Hi. Im after some advice for a colleague.  They have been in an investigation for allegedly telling a customer they shop else where. They say it didnt happen.  Anyhow said customer has posted it on social media. And a tm has seen it and reported it. Investigation has been done and a new manager did investigation but notetaker was constantly teling lead what to ask ect. Person under investigation wasnt asked if they wanted a rep. Now its gone to discliplinary there really worried. Any advice?

If there was no rep then how can anyone prove that the note taker was giving the interviewer the questions.

The managers will say it didnt happen.

Why would a customer go and post on social media that a worker prefers to do his shopping at another supermarket? Unless he went on a rant at said customer saying how shite tesco was and he would never shop there because of what he may see.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #46 on: 26-09-18, 12:21AM »
I wonder if dipshit dave and his missus only get their food from tesco?
I wonder if the manager who is making the accusations eats food that was not from tesco?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #47 on: 26-09-18, 09:51AM »

Why would a customer go and post on social media that a worker prefers to do his shopping at another supermarket?

Because there are some weird people in this world  :o
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

rogersmart

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #48 on: 27-09-18, 12:51AM »
I work in a Tesco PFS and the Store Manager from our local Aldi comes in regularly and buys a Meal Deal at lunchtimes, wearing his Aldi badge and ID lanyard.  These things work both ways!  Is he damaging the Aldi brand?  In my view he’s not - what he is doing is recognising good value offered by Tesco.

darklighter

• Know All
« Reply #49 on: 27-09-18, 11:22AM »
This absolute horse-excrement needs nipped in the bud straight away; you are employed by Tesco, you sign a contract and you get paid for fulfilling said contract.

That money belongs to you, the employee and you can spend it anyfeckingwhere you like, including Tesco, which tries to recoup some of that money with the provision of a staff discount/loyalty card.

No case to answer given the details provided so tell them politely where to go.

P.S, Jumped up little ...... that troll facebook and other social media just to target certain individuals need a good kick in the rusty sherrif's badge.