Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-11-18, 03:47PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81409
  • Total Topics: 1711
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: store closed due to lack of staff  (Read 5772 times)

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
store closed due to lack of staff
« on: 30-08-18, 02:35AM »
Felt that this deserved its own thread,

originally posted by @surlaroute, on the 'Re: Sunday premium down to time and a quarter' thread.
Reply #1081 on: 29-08-18, 02:57AM

"well would you look at that https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/tesco-express-store-whiteladies-road-1946244  :D"
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

K2S0

Re: store closed due to lack of staff
« Reply #1 on: 30-08-18, 06:50AM »
Is it in our contracts that we can get moved to another store if needed? Be interesting to see if this happens again especially if it’s pay related

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 30-08-18, 08:19AM »
It looks like the unofficial strikes have already started  :thumbup: to all involved in the “no staff”.  :D

Wearethehearts

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 30-08-18, 09:47AM »
don't do sundays, don't do overtime, don't move your hours, make  every move tesco does last the full time it can, only way to hurt them, we can as employees tie them up in their own proceedures and policy, then everytime your not happy complain . This all takes up time and money

AlexM

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 30-08-18, 09:56AM »
See the world of Tesco express hasn't changed at all since I left 3 years ago? Maybe the staff & managers finally had enough of running one on one & being treated like rubbish.

mac84

« Reply #5 on: 30-08-18, 10:50AM »
This news cheered me right up.

Teddybonkers

« Reply #6 on: 30-08-18, 12:45PM »
See the world of Tesco express hasn't changed at all since I left 3 years ago? Maybe the staff & managers finally had enough of running one on one & being treated like rubbish.

You're absolutely correct Alex M, nothing has changed in Express. I'd lay money on 1 of the 2 scheduled staff blowing out the shift, and no one else mug enough to come charging to the rescue. Only surprised it it doesn't happen more often. In my store, staff working insane hours just to keep the shop running. Shocking - never experienced anything like it before.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 30-08-18, 01:55PM »

Things have changed in Express,  No express that I am in contact with has any problems with staff, and non of them have had a situation when they are 1 to 1,  You just have to walk in and look at the back stock and availability to see how things have changed, I think Tesco have 1600 express stores so yes they will have the odd problem, But does anyone expect them to cover every staff hours in case someone phones sick  ?

Global Moderator Comment Edited, this thread is not concerned with Co-op or Sainsbury's, we have another section for other retailers.

NeedingSleep

« Reply #8 on: 30-08-18, 06:34PM »
Just to note:

• News report was posted on a Tuesday, so nothing to do with Sunday premium
  • The note is seriously unprofessional. Just say store closed due to unforeseen circumstances
  • Having no staff could be due to lots of reasons. Bad recruitment, sickness, bad holiday planning etc etc

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 30-08-18, 07:59PM »

Things have changed in Express,  No express that I am in contact with has any problems with staff, and non of them have had a situation when they are 1 to 1,  You just have to walk in and look at the back stock and availability to see how things have changed, I think Tesco have 1600 express stores so yes they will have the odd problem, But does anyone expect them to cover every staff hours in case someone phones sick  ?

Edited, this thread is not concerned with Co-op or Sainsbury's, we have another section for other retailers.

I think it does , especialy when some seem to think that the problem is just to do with Express or with the pay cuts on Sundays ,

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 30-08-18, 11:41PM »
does anyone expect them to cover every staff hours in case someone phones sick  ?

I absolutely do, and I would guess so would the customers who went there only to be gobsmacked - the proliferation of these Express stores have replaced the traditonal corner shop in most areas which could always be relied on and upon which many customers who cannot travel depend - that was part of the Express proposition. Whether it be support from local stores (even non-Express), telling the SM they have to open it or even the Area Manager/support team having to go in and man the place there is always a way to man a shop that small with at least 2 people even if all they do is man the tills. Closing any store or even a department simply because it cannot be manned due to absence reeks of incompetence, is unprofessional in the eyes of customers and is reputationally damaging. I have never in all my life seen a small local store - even small privately owned ones - do this. It also sets a dangerous precedent for stores faced with attendance challenges in future - I cannot believe a Store Manager and possibly an Area Manager actually sanctioned this, let alone even considered closing a shop as an option. If you really do think differently you are nothing more than one of those professional apologists that have become so commonplace - businesses don't fail, leaders do, there is simply no excuse for this.

Teddybonkers

« Reply #11 on: 31-08-18, 01:17AM »

Edited, this thread is not concerned with Co-op or Sainsbury's, we have another section for other retailers.

What a ridiculous post. If this store was being manned properly it wouldn't have mattered if someone phoned in sick. Obviously the store was being staffed with just two people otherwise it wouldn't have had to close its doors. Its all very well running these shops on a shoestring, and I'm sure the bean counters in Head Office are very pleased with themselves,  but its like walking a tight rope, and there's precious little contingency for when things go wrong.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 31-08-18, 08:27AM »
When I joined Tesco a few years ago I was more than happy to change shifts and help out when required, since then I have had my team leader pay gone, hours altered to match the ever changing heat map 4 times, overtime and Sunday pay slashed, first aid pay frozen for 3 years and seen loads of staff leave due to lack of regular hours. And Tesco still wonder why staff are nowhere near as flexible as before. Treat your staff right and they will respond in the right way, treat them wrong and they will kick back

Totot

« Reply #13 on: 31-08-18, 11:17AM »
Closing the shop is a company policy too when only one person there, even when taken delivery, if only 2 ppl there, either wait until there is another staff or close the shop until delivery finished.
In real, working in express, some express i know, when one on one you still open the shop, take delivery, back to back sometimes frozen and groceries within 15min differences with one person stay in the till and the other rushing around like headless chicken.

Working in express can be unfair, while some staff do easy job every shift, meanwhile other do everything from taken delivery in to manned the till and everything between plus half the job of team leader. One on one can be quite common, me personally done that alot, one on one for whole full shift or just for few hours, no many staff  wanna do overtime or bank holiday. But again these are tesco strategy, only a matter of time it will be quite common in express, mostly the one that really busy, earn loads of money with minimum staff.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 31-08-18, 08:14PM »

What a ridiculous post. If this store was being manned properly it wouldn't have mattered if someone phoned in sick. Obviously the store was being staffed with just two people otherwise it wouldn't have had to close its doors. Its all very well running these shops on a shoestring, and I'm sure the bean counters in Head Office are very pleased with themselves,  but its like walking a tight rope, and there's precious little contingency for when things go wrong.

Can you explain why alex or my post is as you call it ridiculous

mac84

« Reply #15 on: 31-08-18, 09:08PM »

Can you explain why alex or my post is as you call it ridiculous

You sound like a Tesco apologist.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 31-08-18, 10:18PM »

you talking to me ?

if so you can explain why you think so , 

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 01-09-18, 12:08PM »
Due to the written apology on the door, I wouldn't be suprised if a colleague found that they were left on their own due to no show, no support offered, so thought sod this I'm going home  ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Silver

« Reply #18 on: 07-11-18, 07:29PM »
Express has got big problems, anyone that says it doesn't works in a bubble of nativity. I work in the second most busy store in my group, in September 17 we had 21 Customer assistants, this year by October 18 we have 15 and have only had one replacement colleague to claw us up from 14. We have lost over 150 hours of CA working time yet we are not allowed to recruit as we are "overspending". Staff are leaving as they are unhappy, never get more then a 20 hour contact, I can't cover my shifts as the staff hate being at work, they openly admit to me they are happy to work with me, it's not personal but they would rather not help Tesco and just have a life, even if it is terribly paid. I have had days where I'm one on one for 6 hours until midnight in a busy store with a PFS and on my holidays even get asked to work or go to other stores to run shifts, I've even been bribed with extra holiday for doing it and offered double time because so few people will help them out these days, I loved my job, regrettably moving to express from the larger store was not a good call. Somethings got to change because even the long term colleagues are getting sick of this poor hours poor pay poor contracts approach.

Teddybonkers

« Reply #19 on: 07-11-18, 08:11PM »
Same in my store. Staff leaving but not replaced. Remaining staff working insanely long hours ( 60hrs+ per week ) staff being called into work when off, staff being expected to work shift's they haven't agreed to, holidays impossible to take or cancelled, SM routinely borrowing staff from other stores, customers complaining about the absolute shambles of a service - I could go on. And then I fill up at a Tesco PFS the other day, and there's two staff sitting behind the counter looking pretty bored with nothing to do! Express is definitely the worst job out there. 
« Last Edit: 07-11-18, 08:13PM by Teddybonkers »

madness

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 07-11-18, 09:13PM »
We in a superstore all know not to ever go to express. Some store assistants thinking they were "getting a hard time" in our store were offered a twist to try express and came runing back to us and have never complained again. Infact they are better for having seen the grass is not always greener.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #21 on: 08-11-18, 01:37AM »
Due to the written apology on the door, I wouldn't be suprised if a colleague found that they were left on their own due to no show, no support offered, so thought sod this I'm going home  ??? ???

That seems very likely. Or they got to the end of their shift and no-one else turned up.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #22 on: 09-11-18, 12:00PM »
I know I will probably get laughed at but can you volunteer redundancy?

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #23 on: 09-11-18, 12:10PM »
Don't think so, your department, store or actual position need to be going through restructure.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #24 on: 09-11-18, 12:34PM »
I know I will probably get laughed at but can you volunteer redundancy?

If redundancy is in the wind and they offer voluntary redundancy to staff.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.