Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-09-19, 03:09AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60705
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 91
Total: 94

Author Topic: Unroadworthy vans  (Read 5955 times)

cddriver

Unroadworthy vans
« on: 22-08-18, 10:29PM »
Could someone advise me who I would need to speak to about the state of our vans.

The problem is 9/10 drivers don't care either and they'll drive anything so when the odd driver complains it makes them look like they're just causing a fuss.

A few times I've done my checks of a morning and found a defect with the van but when alerting the boss rather than have the problem fixed they switch a driver around who will drive it.

Anyone else in a similar position?

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Unroadworthy vans
« Reply #1 on: 23-08-18, 07:42AM »
Defect the van and keep defecting it until it is fixed.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotcomdrone

« Reply #2 on: 23-08-18, 09:16AM »
if the van is not roadworthy then log it, never drive a van that is faulty as you are responsible for your safety and other road users, at the end of the day its shopping we deliver and its not that important, if your managers are not doing due diligence then log faults with your driver trainer for your area and tell them your fears

oldfashionedplayer

« Reply #3 on: 23-08-18, 09:22AM »
feel free to use the protector line too or email them, it's like watching rats scuttle when you go in the next day, every one of them is hiding from the store manager and people are there blaming eachother for the problems... funny to watch but protector line gets things done quick.

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 23-08-18, 10:38AM »
Keep refusing to drive them, keep defecting it and when your managers don't do anything about the problems phone he protector line.
If that doesn't work an anonymous call the DVSA aboutinroadworthy vans should get a nice ch3ckpoint set up down the road.
Managers need to be aware that if the problem is logged get get the fine too.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 23-08-18, 11:26AM »
If a driver of a vehicle knowingly drove a defective vehicle, or believed it to be non roadworthy, it would result in serious problems for that driver, especially in a RTA.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 23-08-18, 11:33AM »
Keep refusing to drive them, keep defecting it and when your managers don't do anything about the problems phone he protector line.
If that doesn't work an anonymous call the DVSA aboutinroadworthy vans should get a nice ch3ckpoint set up down the road.
Managers need to be aware that if the problem is logged get get the fine too.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #7 on: 23-08-18, 07:57PM »
Depends on the nature of the defect, ask yourself 'could this defect present a safety risk to myself or others' your answer determines if you should take it on the road.

An insecure step, bumper or seat are most certainly a safety risk.  Imagine the step, bumper coming off in the path of another vehicle (especially the 2 wheeled variety ), would/could the seat effect the drivers control of the vehicle, particularly in an emergency situation.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 23-08-18, 08:19PM »
As someone said do not use vans with defects it won’t be Tesco who are to blame when an accident happens. It will be you to blame for taking the van out when you are meant to carry out an inspection before driving. Tesco will give you a gross misconduct disciplinary in a heartbeat saying you should’ve reported it. We all know it is very different in reality and they push people to drive van which are not roadworthy.

weebee

« Reply #9 on: 26-08-18, 02:57AM »
Phone  VOSA

memberx

« Reply #10 on: 01-11-18, 06:45PM »
I'm in the exact same position as you. No one else seems to care so I look like I'm just being a nuisance. And yes Egertons do our store aswell and only really show up when a van is undriveable. If it can move then my defects tend to fall on deaf ears.

« Reply #11 on: 01-11-18, 07:31PM »
Tesco can be a good place but the 'couldn't care less attitude' is on the rise which is tiresome.  You are more likely to be shot down for raising issues than supported.  Who cares I will continue to do so if need be.

NewDotComDriver

« Reply #12 on: 23-01-19, 09:45AM »
I had a van the other night with a yellow brake pad warning light. Was told to just get on with it. Where would you stand if you outright refused to drive a vehicle?

Turns out it had been "G"'d for weeks and had been defected but nothing done- same problem you guys have mentioned- 90% of the drivers will just G by default and drive it regardless.

I personally feel I would have been liable for leaving the yard in a van that I know had low pads - if there had been an accident.

« Reply #13 on: 23-01-19, 11:13AM »
I would refuse the request to take to van out. Ask them to provide an alternative van in plain view of other staff and customers if you can. Take a time and date stamped picture of the warning light if you can and submit the usual defect sheet in case of any come back form management.

DrStrangelove

« Reply #14 on: 23-01-19, 01:20PM »
Exactly the same at our place although we have a very special driver called The Terminator who recently defected a Van for a torn seat I kid you not.
The tw*t thing is the replacement is always 100 % worse.

NewDotComDriver

« Reply #15 on: 23-01-19, 01:50PM »
 ;D ;D ;D " The Terminator"

brucie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #16 on: 23-01-19, 09:27PM »
If you take a vehicle out on the road with a defect like a brake pad warning light on it will be recorded in the on-board computer date and time defect occurred.  If you have an accident it is your licence you will lose, if a fatal accident you will be going to prison for a while.

blueberet

« Reply #17 on: 03-02-19, 11:15PM »
To get back on topic the 2014 and older automatic ivecos are a joke taking one of those up a hill with parked cars close either side is not a pleasant experience. luckily my hill was straight, if it was a curved I think I would have hit something with all the jumping about it does. You'd have thought that it was a 20 year old van the way the gearbox and clutch are set up in those vans. A similar aged Mercedes is an absolute dream to drive in comparison.

« Reply #18 on: 04-02-19, 10:46AM »
vans vans vans

Victor

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #19 on: 06-02-19, 12:21PM »
To get back on topic the 2014 and older automatic ivecos are a joke taking one of those up a hill with parked cars close either side is not a pleasant experience. luckily my hill was straight, if it was a curved I think I would have hit something with all the jumping about it does. You'd have thought that it was a 20 year old van the way the gearbox and clutch are set up in those vans. A similar aged Mercedes is an absolute dream to drive in comparison.

The newer Iveco vans are alright

the old ones (pre 2015) are a pile of shite. They are not fit for purpose and the gearbox, oh the f****ng gearbox.

the build quality is shocking, even the newer ones. theres a reason they are cheap - because they're a bunch of c**p.

Swampy

« Reply #20 on: 05-03-19, 09:03AM »
In our branch, 2018 Sprinters. After side step damage the micro switches aren't working so the warning panel is bleating out constantly, so some of the drivers are unplugging the panel and driving the vans.....seems to me that is a definite no no. Unplugging a safety device, in the case of having an incident, the book will surely be thrown at the driver and at the management...Have brought this up with various managers but none are interested.

blueberet

« Reply #21 on: 05-03-19, 07:56PM »
Phone it through to your maintainance provider. Our manager says to us to not take a van out if we don't think it's roadworthy, at the end of the day you'll be the one in court if you're driving an unroadworthy van not your manager.

The amount of damage there is to the side steps is incredible though, I can't even remember the last time I even used it.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 05-03-19, 08:15PM »
I sometime stand on the edge of the step with it in the up position and hold a grab handle or racking with one hand while I reach in with the other hand for the tray as that is sometimes more convenient than using the grab pole.  Not once, in 14 years have I dropped the step to use it as intended.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

blueberet

« Reply #23 on: 06-03-19, 09:49AM »
I once tried that and the sidestep fell down  ;D