Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-08-18, 06:28PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 79802
  • Total Topics: 1661
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Mental health support  (Read 1130 times)

Cherokeerose

• VLH Supporter
Mental health support
« on: 12-08-18, 04:00PM »
Hello everyone, new member here & first time poster so apologies if this topic is in the wrong section or it has already been discussed.

I know that other large companies offer support for mental health in way of some sort of therapy etc, I was wondering if Tesco offers this service and how I would go around looking into it. I have looked on the ourtesco website however most of it is "e-learning" or phone numbers to call. Obviously this is a service that my GP could potentially offer me however I am aware that there is months' waiting lists on this sort of thing that doesn't involve taking medication.
My mental health suffers, not because of my work but because of my personal life, however it has gotten quite bad recently that it has started to affect my work and my manager has noticed this. I'm not sure who to go to to speak about such a thing as I'm aware that the personel managers no longer exist.
I wonder if anyone can help. Thanks

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
Re: Mental health support
« Reply #1 on: 12-08-18, 05:42PM »
Really sorry to hear about your health, and I applaud you for being brave enough to reach out. I don't have it to hand although I do know there is a number you can call as you say. I know of colleagues that have made use of it and they found it very helpful, although ultimately it will still refer you to a GP if necessary. I could be mistaken, but if you are member of USDAW I believe they also offer a similar service? Good luck and keep us up to date with how you get on :)

rogersmart

« Reply #2 on: 12-08-18, 10:13PM »
There’s a whole Section on mental health issues within the Tesco Support Policies - all available to read and download online.  Tesco is, however, really only geared up to deal with work-related issues, and even then managers within stores don’t have the necessary skills and training.  At a recent Store Director’s Forum, we were told that senior company management had just received training regarding mental health, and that this would be trickled down through the company.  In addition Tesco has just started investigating some sort of partnership with a national mental health organisation, so there may be significant steps forward in the future.  The most important point they are making, though, is that mental health is no different to physical health - it affects us all.  Hang in there!

Cherokeerose

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 12-08-18, 10:57PM »
Thank you.

I have looked on the Tesco website but could only find links to websites geared towards mental health charities and phone numbers to speak to someone - I don't particularly want to do this, I already have people to speak to, I think I would benefit more from actual professional help. I wonder if you could post a link to these policies if possible? Maybe I wasn't looking in quite the right place or I had overlooked this information. Thanks again

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 12-08-18, 11:10PM »
Hi Cherokee

Nope the company doesn't offer what your looking for.As you know from looking it's all support from support charities and NHS

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 13-08-18, 08:16AM »
Sorry can't help with Tesco policy on this but I really think it's worth getting your gp to put you on the waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) , its very effective if like me you didn't wish to take medication. 
Well done for reaching out it can be very difficult , good luck

oldfashionedplayer

« Reply #6 on: 13-08-18, 08:24AM »
not sure if you've seen this, but you might want to give it a read.

https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/people-policies/diversity-inclusion/mental-health/

also theres a downloadable pdf at the bottom labelled :Supporting Mental Health

Depending on the type of mental health issue/s, tesco has a responsibility under the equality act of 2010 apparently, so may be best to give that a read and see from there if that solves your concerns.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 13-08-18, 11:10AM »
I think it will be beneficial if you talk to your Manager about The EAP ( Employee Assistance Program) I believe T’s is run by the same company that are the Occupational Health Consultancy. Nuffield I believe ( may be wrong).

The company have invested heavily in these processes of late in a bid to move with the times but most of all have a clear approach to such serious issues as Mental Health of Employees and Their Occupational Health approach.

From what I have been led to believe The EAP can be a shorter route to the right type of  help than the NHS.
I am pretty sure the phone Number we are Given for EAP via policy and process is a Number that is Unique for T employees or that you identify who your employer is, so I am led to believe, the point being the service is funded by our employer.

« Last Edit: 13-08-18, 11:18AM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 13-08-18, 12:11PM »
Sorry that my last post was a bit generic.

Cherokeerose, I have much empathy for situation. The EAP contact details are not the type of referrals your GP would give, it is not a service funded by charity donations or the government (although they do a really good job with the limited resources they have), the EAT is an employer funded Program as part of a Employee Health and Wellness package, our employer pays for the service.

Your situation is one of the very reasons the scheme came into being.
I applaud you in taking the first step in seeking help from our employer it is not an easy decision to make.
If you can find the details of our EAP on The Our T site give them a call, I believe they only need the employer detail, they talk about a wide range of issues that could be contributing to your situation, including financial problems and other problems that may be contributing to your present Mental Health suffering.

If we assume your Manager is approachable, get the phone number from them, this will inevitably be beneficial to you if you now find your work is being affected, as absence, medication, shift changes for Therapy could all be a consideration in the future, even if it isn’t at present, I really do understand that being open with your manager may be a worry to you or seem impossible because of the type of person they may be, but it is part of their job to help you through this as much as is possible. Their Duty as part of the Company’s Wider “Duty of Care”.
« Last Edit: 13-08-18, 12:18PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.