Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-10-18, 09:36AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81178
  • Total Topics: 1710
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 77
Total: 81

Author Topic: Work related health problems  (Read 2793 times)

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
Re: Work related health problems
« Reply #25 on: 13-08-18, 07:48AM »
Hmm arthritis doesn't just develop from 6 months of stacking shelves. Also cereal tea cofffee crisps are light filling aisles. Funny how people take new jobs and 6 months in every ailment under the sun comes out.  I do sympathise that you have genuine pain but what are you wanting done about it? Every role in tesco involves lift or using your hands. If you can't do it then you are not suitable for work. Merchandising is even heavier and health and beauty is very fiddly so i would have thought worse?  Only thing I could think would be counters.

Why do you work at Tesco when you are obviously either a doctor or an arthritis consultant, you must be to be able to say with such conviction that this persons problem has not arisen in the last 6 months. Also you did it over the internet with out anything to go on other than their first post.

You could earn so much more with your qualifications and talent.

He just does it to get some exercise.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 13-08-18, 11:41AM »
That is all I'm looking for. I'm not blaming Tesco for my injury, or expecting them to create a role for me. I didn't anticipate having these health issues and neither did they. When I complain about my treatment, it's based on my experiences of going to management and telling them I have said issues, them being sympathetic initially, but not following anything up. If they have the ability to refer me to OH, then surely that protocol should be being followed?
If my disdain for management and my store is coming across, that is owing to different issues that aren't relevant here.
When the PMs were still in store, they mentioned health checkups etc, but I think they were limited to certain Nuffield hospitals, none of which are anywhere near us

I have posted elsewhere on this site something which maybe of benefit to you.

I think it will be beneficial if you talk to your Manager about The EAP ( Employee Assistance Program) I believe T’s is run by the same company that are the Occupational Health Consultancy. Nuffield I believe ( may be wrong).

The company have invested heavily in these processes of late in a bid to move with the times but most of all have a clear approach to such serious issues as Mental Health of Employees and Their Occupational Health approach.

From what I have been led to believe The EAP can be a shorter route to the right type of  help than the NHS.
I am pretty sure the phone Number we are Given for EAP via policy and process is a Number that is Unique for T employees or that you identify who your employer is, so I am led to believe, the point being the service is funded by our employer.

It maybe of use to you as the EAP is run by the same consultancy that deal with OH referrals. So I was led to believe.

Get the Number of the EAP and give them a ring they are there to talk ( at the first stage) through a wide range of issues and they could give valuable advice or the best direction for you to consider.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Princess2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #27 on: 13-08-18, 09:26PM »
May I suggest an alternative approach? Research the ketogenic diet and it’s positive effects on inflammation/arthritis. You’ll immediately be resistant to a diet change like I was, but it is a whole new way of life that could change things for the better for you :)

rogersmart

« Reply #28 on: 14-08-18, 12:10PM »
Princess makes a really good suggestion.  Whatever alternative approach you may consider, it’s you that have the arthritis and it’s you that must deal with it.  You cannot expect Tesco (or any other employer, for that matter) to provide you with employment that doesn’t affect your condition - you may have to change your diet, your lifestyle, etc, and that might necessitate eventually giving up work.  Or, with your GP’s help there may be medical benefits to be had.  If you look to Tesco for help, you’ll have to wait a long time.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 14-08-18, 02:37PM »
That depends whether the ailment can be catorgerised and whether it qualifies for reasonable adjustments. Adjustment Passports although relatively recent are worth far more than the paper they are written on, both for the individual and the company, we are no longer in an age where the health problems of individuals are not a concern for the company and they have no obligations to consider them. Those days are gone.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.