Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-12-18, 09:06PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81724
  • Total Topics: 1708
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 76
Total: 79

Author Topic: Work related health problems  (Read 2915 times)

moanymcmoaner

Work related health problems
« on: 10-08-18, 01:51PM »
Since the People Manager roles have been dissolved, who are the best people to go to actually get help?

I started working as a GA last March, and by August had started to develop hand issues.  The doctor advised me that it was "most likely" the onset of arthritis which is a common complaint in my line of work.  The PM at the time was very defensive trying to establish if the GP had actually stated my job was to blame.  I explained that of course they couldn't out and out say that, I had had no previous problems and given the constant wear and tear of my job, it makes sense that it has come from that. I changed my availability and eased off (when you're a newbie, you go warp speed to ensure you get that permanent contract).  The pain has eased but I am left with pain in my index fingers and lumps on the joints which are painful to touch.  To add to this being old before my time, I have developed tennis elbow to boot.  I was placed on "light aisles".  Weight isn't always the issue, its the movement.  Crisps and cereal and sweets aren't always light.  I have now been moved to health and beauty.  The shifts are great, but I am still left in agony.  The pain in my arm wakes me in the nights. 

I know some people have it worse, but pain is subjective to the individual.  When it is mentioned to a manager I get "ahhh.  So when you're done, make sure you face up". 

Who is the best person to speak to and what protocal are they supposed to follow? I've lost alot of faith in the management at my store (long story) and I am sick of trying to chase people up and getting fobbed off.

fatboy

• Regular Pain
Re: Work related health problems
« Reply #1 on: 10-08-18, 01:54PM »
Sounds like someone else after compensation. If you can't do the job just leave & find something you can do.

moanymcmoaner

« Reply #2 on: 10-08-18, 02:01PM »
Haha! Not in the slightest.  I've tried to shift departments (merchandising, PI, checkouts) but they haven't had the hours or shifts that work for me.  I've been trying to transfer stores since last year too.  And I have been actively seeking other work since April. 

I was looking for advice with regards to Occupational Health etc.  As I stated, my managment have let me down multiple times and I am getting tired of chasing people up or being told to "speak to this person...." and that person being unavailable or being fobbed off

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 10-08-18, 02:13PM »
If it's not an issue that bothers management they'll just keep fobbing you off. It's the Tesco way I'm afraid.

moanymcmoaner

« Reply #4 on: 10-08-18, 02:17PM »
Glorious....
I'll just have to settle for passive aggression via the WMTY  :D

Fair play

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 10-08-18, 02:38PM »
Don’t think there’s a lot more they can do for you by the sounds of things. After all they are a business they can’t let you just do the hours you want , on the department that fits it just wouldn’t be fair on other staff members.
I do sympathies it can’t be much fun if your in pain . Can the doctors not give you anything. Don’t hold your breath waiting for a transfer, if you have health problems 🙈
« Last Edit: 10-08-18, 02:41PM by Fair play »

madness

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 10-08-18, 03:03PM »
Hmm arthritis doesn't just develop from 6 months of stacking shelves. Also cereal tea cofffee crisps are light filling aisles. Funny how people take new jobs and 6 months in every ailment under the sun comes out.  I do sympathise that you have genuine pain but what are you wanting done about it? Every role in tesco involves lift or using your hands. If you can't do it then you are not suitable for work. Merchandising is even heavier and health and beauty is very fiddly so i would have thought worse?  Only thing I could think would be counters.

moanymcmoaner

« Reply #7 on: 10-08-18, 03:15PM »
Oh I understand that completely, I have provided a fairly wide availability window but I don't expect them to just be able to snap fingers and accommodate me.  Its student transfer season now too so I know that takes priority. The doctor has advised the usual pain relief and a watch and wait approach until things become acute.

Obviously the manner of the work has sped up deterioration of my joints.  Working 40+ hrs a week shredding boxes open etc will do that.  And being 5ft 4, lifting those huge boxes of cereals on and off capping has knackered my elbow.  You're right, health and beauty isn't great currently, but its better than the main aisles ( I was on the same main aisles for months, tins etc).  I had no idea that my health was going to take a kicking the way it has, I'm only in my 30s and I'm fairly fit.
Do Tesco provide referrals to physio? 

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 10-08-18, 05:44PM »
Hmm arthritis doesn't just develop from 6 months of stacking shelves. Also cereal tea cofffee crisps are light filling aisles. Funny how people take new jobs and 6 months in every ailment under the sun comes out.  I do sympathise that you have genuine pain but what are you wanting done about it? Every role in tesco involves lift or using your hands. If you can't do it then you are not suitable for work. Merchandising is even heavier and health and beauty is very fiddly so i would have thought worse?  Only thing I could think would be counters.

:thumbup: I have never heard of anyone getting Arthritis within such a short time  8-) I have it as well as many memeber of my family and to date its always been something that has developed over years ,

moanymcmoaner

« Reply #9 on: 10-08-18, 05:55PM »

:thumbup: I have never heard of anyone getting Arthritis within such a short time  8-) I have it as well as many memeber of my family and to date its always been something that has developed over years ,

Just because you have never heard of it, doesn't mean its not the case.  The doctor ran blood tests to rule out rheumatoid.  It is what it is.  Maybe I was always going to be predisposed to it, but I never had a problem with my hands before this job.  Im a fit and healthy person, and prior to this enjoyed the fact that I'm physically active in my role. 

I'm just looking for advice or anyone who has had similar problems and their experiences.  Honestly, at the list of my complaints about my store, this ranks at the lower end.  I just want to be able to crack on with my job

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 10-08-18, 06:04PM »
moanymcmoaner ,, You say you have developed hand Issues , Which you say your Doctor has said It most likely the onset of arthiritis  ???

To me it seems you are linking your job with your problem ,  Arthiritis is something that anyone in anyjob can get
Also why is it that Your Doctor has not sent you for any tests or Exrays ? No medication ,If I was having so many problems I would be pushing to find out what problem I had  ??? Not pushing to get my Job changed  8-) , I would not also go to a doctor that treated me by telling me MOST LIKELY  :o

moanymcmoaner

« Reply #11 on: 10-08-18, 07:12PM »
moanymcmoaner ,, You say you have developed hand Issues , Which you say your Doctor has said It most likely the onset of arthiritis  ???

To me it seems you are linking your job with your problem ,  Arthiritis is something that anyone in anyjob can get
Also why is it that Your Doctor has not sent you for any tests or Exrays ? No medication ,If I was having so many problems I would be pushing to find out what problem I had  ??? Not pushing to get my Job changed  8-) , I would not also go to a doctor that treated me by telling me MOST LIKELY  :o

You seem to be agonizing over what my doctor has said, rather than actually answering my original question.

The arthritis is now limited to my index fingers as previously stated. The more pressing injury is my tennis elbow. I saw my doctor today , again, about it. He advised me to ask my employer if they offer physio etc. That it's self limiting and to come back when it's considered acute. Same advice for my fingers, carry on using anti inflammatory tablets and cream. They sent me for bloods initially. I don't know any doctor that would refer someone for further investigation until the condition is severe.

I was hoping for some first hand experience on here, I didn't realise I needed to bring my medical records with me  8-)

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 10-08-18, 07:17PM »
Stop blaming Tesco for your poor health. Seems like your manager has tried to help you by moving you around different sections..

If you can't do the job what do u expect them to do... maybe look for a new a job

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 10-08-18, 07:43PM »
There is are people who have been with the company a lot longer who do not have any of the symptoms.  Your problems are nothing to do with Tesco.  You should think long and hard about getting a new role though as there is a chance you may become worse as a result of the repetitive and sometimes heavy work involved.  Managers need to stop messing about with people who are clearly unfit for the job.
« Last Edit: 10-08-18, 07:49PM by Nomad »

Walker

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 10-08-18, 10:17PM »
I think people are getting sidetracked.

There are over 100 different types of arthritis and attempting to diagnose whether the op has it/ doesn't have it and whether it was/wasn't caused by working at Tesco isn't feasible for any of us.

I think going back to your doctor is probably a good idea ... He/she could be asked for a medical fit note explaining what accomodation is necessary. Possession of such a fit note would probably help your case to be reassigned to a less physical role in Tesco BUT

... it may very well be the case that you should over the medium term look for another role you are more suitable for if this is a permanent thing.

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 11-08-18, 12:40AM »
There are not many "light jobs" in store. The CSD, PFS and checkouts are considered light duties but these roles should now be recruiting with service in mind. The days have gone where they move people into these roles because of health issues.
I have never heard of physio being offered by the company but in my area, Scotland, it's self referral at the hospital. I know as I have fine this myself because of a bad shoulder.
Arthritis can flare up at any age but the advice is not to change your life because of it. It flares and dies. Not everybody is the same. For some the flare lasts a long time, for others it is shorter but returns but it can even flare just the once but then no more. When my mum started with hers she as advised to rest and not do things. The advise is the opposite now, it's use it or lose it. My daughter has had a bad flare up in her hands. Hers was not because of anything. It just happens sometimes. I myself have had a flare in my hands but now years later I just have a few fingers joints that are now k**bbly. They say arthritis is not inherited but as 60% of people get it your chances are high.
I sympathise with the pain but at the end of the day they have tried to accommodate you. They do not have to create a job for you but I suggest you ask to be referred to occupational health. This is happening more and more just now. They can be the go between and ensure fairness. They won't ask to have a job created for you but will ensure that things are done properly.

moanymcmoaner

« Reply #16 on: 11-08-18, 10:24AM »
That is all I'm looking for. I'm not blaming Tesco for my injury, or expecting them to create a role for me. I didn't anticipate having these health issues and neither did they. When I complain about my treatment, it's based on my experiences of going to management and telling them I have said issues, them being sympathetic initially, but not following anything up. If they have the ability to refer me to OH, then surely that protocol should be being followed?
If my disdain for management and my store is coming across, that is owing to different issues that aren't relevant here.
When the PMs were still in store, they mentioned health checkups etc, but I think they were limited to certain Nuffield hospitals, none of which are anywhere near us

lostanddead

« Reply #17 on: 11-08-18, 12:41PM »
Has your doctor provided you with a fit note for amended duties?
Has your condition been diagnosed as long-term?

If so your manager (who is the person you need to speak to) should put you on an adjustment passport where they document what effects your condition has and what you are unable to do and what support they can give you.

It sounds like they have been supporting you by moving departments etc but it is still not helping.

They cannot refer you to occupational health without you giving verbal consent, and if you didn't know this was an option is probably why it hasn't happened before.

I've never heard of physio being provided, but they should arrange your shifts to give you time off for it if you can only get this during working hours.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #18 on: 11-08-18, 12:44PM »
Tesco will not refer to or pay for physio and from what I've witnessed over years , they only refer people to occupational health in very severe cases .

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 11-08-18, 01:26PM »
The last person I saw going to occupational health didn’t last long.  ???

Plato

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 11-08-18, 08:43PM »
It is inevitable, that, in years to come, staff will be arriving at work with their Zimmer frames, and operations ( such as knee or hip replacements ) will be taking place whilst colleagues are employed ( rather than retired). Take a look around your stores... how many staff ( on the shop floor and on checkouts ) are already wearing braces on their hands because of arthritis or carpal tunnel . These problems are exacerbated by work but are also because of the necessity to work longer because of the rising state retirement age.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 11-08-18, 09:12PM »

You seem to be agonizing over what my doctor has said, rather than actually answering my original question.

The arthritis is now limited to my index fingers as previously stated. The more pressing injury is my tennis elbow. I saw my doctor today , again, about it. He advised me to ask my employer if they offer physio etc. That it's self limiting and to come back when it's considered acute. Same advice for my fingers, carry on using anti inflammatory tablets and cream. They sent me for bloods initially. I don't know any doctor that would refer someone for further investigation until the condition is severe.

I was hoping for some first hand experience on here, I didn't realise I needed to bring my medical records with me  8-)

Well you stated what your problem is , But you seem to suggest that you and your doctor blamed Tesco after you had worked for them for 6 months ,
What your Doctor gives you as mecication and tests is important as well as what he says in regards to your job , you say you was fit before you started the job , well my brother who is a fitness instructor Developed it in his hands and knee he used to go gym and for runs every day so how fit you are does not always come into it ,

You need all the information so you can go and show your sm what the problem is ,
what do you say they should do to help you ? for that is what they will ask you,
End of the day if you cant do the job they need you for they will not keep you , they cant just make up shifts or jobs to fit you in ,

« Last Edit: 11-08-18, 09:14PM by notsofunny »

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #22 on: 12-08-18, 07:55PM »

Why do you work at Tesco when you are obviously either a doctor or an arthritis consultant, you must be to be able to say with such conviction that this persons problem has not arisen in the last 6 months. Also you did it over the internet with out anything to go on other than their first post.

You could earn so much more with your qualifications and talent.

rogersmart

« Reply #23 on: 12-08-18, 08:24PM »
Why don’t people just answer the question rather than launching into criticism of everything being said.  In the absence of the PM role, these things are now part of Team Manager responsibilities, and that is your starting point.  However, nobody within Tesco will take your concerns seriously unless and until you have a proper written medical opinion about the cause(s) of your arthritis and whether any medical or non-medical action can be taken to alleviate the symptoms.  Speak to your USDAW Rep about any support they can provide, but you must take the initiative.  Think about it - why should Tesco managers feel that they should take notice if your GP doesn’t appear to be taking any action?  Ultimately you may have to decide yourself whether you can continue to do the job, as you will not be referred to Occupational Health unless you have a qualified medical opinion in writing that your condition is caused or significantly worsened by the work you do fo Tesco.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 12-08-18, 10:03PM »

Why do you work at Tesco when you are obviously either a doctor or an arthritis consultant, you must be to be able to say with such conviction that this persons problem has not arisen in the last 6 months. Also you did it over the internet with out anything to go on other than their first post.

You could earn so much more with your qualifications and talent.

Because I and many others I know have done retail for many years and have not developed arthritis. The OP obviously was going to get arthritis regardless of stacking shelves for 6 months or doing nothing involving movement of thier hands/wrists hence at worst the job is a catalyst. Someones head gets chopped off you don't need to be a doctor to state the obvious that they are dead and be correct.