Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-10-18, 02:03AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81151
  • Total Topics: 1709
  • Online Today: 97
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 72
Total: 75

Author Topic: Store Closures - New "Discount" Stores  (Read 12201 times)

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Store Closures - New "Discount" Stores
« Reply #25 on: 03-08-18, 02:36PM »
Apply for vacancies in other stores but they have to be interviewed first.  They are being prioritised over other applicants though.
Apply for jobs in new format store and lose redundancy. New t and c's, only length of service retained.
Take the money and run.  Redundancy is statutory, length of service payment plus an amount in lieu of notice.

Only take the money if your pay out is expected to be a good one , you plan to stop working anyway ,or you are sure you will be able to find a job to replace it

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 03-08-18, 03:35PM »
Aldi and Lidl will be laughing their asses of at this. No way will these stores run without out the burocratic nonsense and 6 million proceedures tesco will insist on.

Tesco just can't help themselves but add stupid bureaucracy and complexity into anything and everything, the latest nonsense is new replenishment routines being rolled out to some express stores (how exactly has filling stock from a cage changed recently) and people are being given jobs as coaches to go into stores and train the staff on said routines, wonder how much all this rubbish is costing. Jacks will no doubt be the same within a year, a good simple format to start with gets ruined by overpaid head office project managers that add nothing to the business.

I have been on holiday for the last 4 weeks , And have only heard about the new stock control that is coming in and that they will be sending out coaches to show stores how it works , also from what I have heard from the test stores the new way is better ,
But I have not heard about Replenishment routines  ??? so are you sure what you are saying is correct ?

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #27 on: 03-08-18, 06:08PM »
Forrestgimp your point being?

It was an anecdotal story that all why does everything have to have a point? 

Adywebb

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #28 on: 04-08-18, 11:44PM »
Not all Metro stores will convert to Jacks. The central London and city centre stores probably won't, many are too small and those with their warehouse on the 1st floor or no carpark probably won't.

Metro stores I've  heard that are converting are:

Middlewich
Castle Bromwich
Liverpool Edge Lane
St Helens Clockface
Rubery

The mothballed stores in in Imminham and Chatteris have been split in two, half gone to Home Bargains and Pound Stretcher respectively, the raimianing space will become Jacks.

Nearly all the Metro stores converting to the Jacks brand are former Kwik Saves.
Middlewich is a Superstore

PETE_M

« Reply #29 on: 06-08-18, 12:20AM »
Ok pedant, it's not branded as a "Metro" bit its no bigger than most Metro stores and it's a former Somerfield/Kwik Save

Adywebb

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #30 on: 06-08-18, 10:15PM »
No need to be rude - to us that work here we like to be called what we are, or rather were now I guess

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #31 on: 07-08-18, 03:53PM »
I dont get all this same size as a metro stuff. I work in a superstore and not a small one, we have about 200 meters down the same road a Lidl that is the same size as our store and a quarter of a mile away an Aldi of a similar size too so obviously not all are small footprint shops.

PETE_M

« Reply #32 on: 09-08-18, 12:14PM »
Well it's quite simple  8-)

Aldi stores are between 9000 sq ft and 13500 sq ft in the U.K., Lidl stores are very similar.

'Metro' format stores vary from 5500 sq ft to 17500 sq ft but the majority of them are 8000 sq ft to 12000 sq ft, certainly the ex Kwik Save/Somerfield ones. Therefore it's likely that any potential 'Jacks' is most likely to be a 'Metro' as they are typically the closest in size to a discount store.

Most (almost all) 'superstores' are over 17500 sq ft. (up to approx 55000 sq ft). There are some exceptions, like Middlewich, Pulborough and Farringdon which aren't branded as 'Metro' stores and look like superstores but are much smaller than most 'superstores'.

So if your 'superstore' is the same size as an Aldi/Lidl, you must be in one of the smallest superstores and the Aldi/Lidl must be one of the biggest. I live a five minute walk from one of Aldi's biggest stores in the U.K. it's no bigger than a store a Tesco would typically brand as a 'Metro' format store.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #33 on: 09-08-18, 12:30PM »
Metro, Express, Extra, Superstore, etc

I never look, I just go into a shop  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

patty1

« Reply #34 on: 09-08-18, 05:17PM »
At the end of the day a lot of people are losing their jobs and there are a lot of p***ed off customers!

Do we know of any that are already being converted?  I think it's tomorrow that the St Helens  store is closing so work should start sometime next week

jonty

• Know All
« Reply #35 on: 09-08-18, 06:14PM »
An express branch I know of is closing this weekend for a few days, re-opening as a 'temporary store' a few days later, then closing again near the end of the month, then opening again a few days later? Express seems too small a format to 'jackify', dya think it's just a refurb or could they be doing something with Express stores too?

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 09-08-18, 08:34PM »
They can convert as many as they want, the problem is they are still in the same place yet the discounters' appeal is what has taken customers away from that place. Plus the majority of Metro's - by virtue of being a Metro - are in town centres which are generally in decline and have high business rates. The solution to this for Tesco was to develop the Express format and the solution to this for discounters was generally to avoid those locations and plonk a store right next to an Extra instead - meaning Tesco has paid for the free car park, road access, provides a Cafe and petrol station - all for the discounters' customers. No matter how it get dressed up, it's still Tesco and I still think this will be Drastic's albatross.

letmego

« Reply #37 on: 09-08-18, 10:52PM »
Aldi and Lidl will be laughing their asses of at this. No way will these stores run without out the burocratic nonsense and 6 million proceedures tesco will insist on.

Tesco just can't help themselves but add stupid bureaucracy and complexity into anything and everything, the latest nonsense is new replenishment routines being rolled out to some express stores (how exactly has filling stock from a cage changed recently) and people are being given jobs as coaches to go into stores and train the staff on said routines, wonder how much all this rubbish is costing. Jacks will no doubt be the same within a year, a good simple format to start with gets ruined by overpaid head office project managers that add nothing to the business.

I have been on holiday for the last 4 weeks , And have only heard about the new stock control that is coming in and that they will be sending out coaches to show stores how it works , also from what I have heard from the test stores the new way is better ,
But I have not heard about Replenishment routines  ??? so are you sure what you are saying is correct ?

What new stock control routine is this? Any details on what's happening or when?

patty1

« Reply #38 on: 09-08-18, 11:49PM »
That's probably the combination of the low line and gap scan functions. Not exactly relevant to a discussion about store closures 😩

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #39 on: 10-08-18, 09:15AM »
patty1, how right you are.  Can we keep the thread on the subject of 'Store Closures - New "Discount" Stores', please.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

renault1

« Reply #40 on: 10-08-18, 11:56PM »
Metro, Express, Extra, Superstore, etc

I never look, I just go into a shop  :)
i never iook, i just drive past on the way to aldi :thumbup: 8-)

PETE_M

« Reply #41 on: 14-08-18, 06:30PM »
Do we know of any that are already being converted?

I believe work has started on the Liverpool Edge Lane store, Ive heard it has closed and the signs are down...

PETE_M

« Reply #42 on: 14-08-18, 06:40PM »
At the end of the day a lot of people are losing their jobs and there are a lot of p***ed off customers!

They would be even more p***ed off if it closed completely. This conversion isn't just about taking on Aldi and Lidl. It's about trying to find a format for these stores that makes money. Sadly many of these stores are barely profitable and they would never make enough money to recoup any investment made in refitting them, so they would just get more and more run down until they eventually closed.

This isn't a unique-to-Tesco problem, this size of store isn't suited to a proper middle-of-the-road supermarket, it's neither a proper superstore so doesn't have the range or economy of scale, or a convenience store. It's why Somerfield suffered, over half of Asda's former Netto 'supermarkets' lose money and Sainsbury's never really rolled out its 'central' format. Works fine though you can find a niche, like where you overcharge people to cover the costs of this type of store *cough* Waitrose *cough*, charge more and have no local competition *cough* co-op *cough*  or strip it out as a discounter....

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #43 on: 15-08-18, 08:31AM »
Pete you have a terrible cough perhaps you should go off on the sick.