Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-08-18, 06:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 79802
  • Total Topics: 1661
  • Online Today: 124
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Store Closures - New "Discount" Stores  (Read 11456 times)

Freddyfrog999

• VLH Supporter
Store Closures - New "Discount" Stores
« on: 31-07-18, 08:37PM »
Anyone have info on store clusures / conversions to the new discounter subsidary ?

I undsertand Middlewhich is one such store

What options are colleagues been offered etc ?

Kingkong2015

Re: Store Closures - New "Discount" Stores
« Reply #1 on: 31-07-18, 08:47PM »
Not sure? Heard more distribution centres are to close so wonder what’s going to happen there as well?

patty1

« Reply #3 on: 01-08-18, 06:02PM »
Apply for vacancies in other stores but they have to be interviewed first.  They are being prioritised over other applicants though.
Apply for jobs in new format store and lose redundancy. New t and c's, only length of service retained.
Take the money and run.  Redundancy is statutory, length of service payment plus an amount in lieu of notice.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 01-08-18, 06:26PM »
I thought Jacks wasn’t going to interfere with the main brand due to daves careful planning. 
(-*-)

Trebor64

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 01-08-18, 07:33PM »
Our SM talked a bit about this in our Forum meeting today. Castle Brom metro (the only metro on our group) is affected, all colleagues put into consultation ending on 18 August.

patty1

« Reply #6 on: 01-08-18, 07:41PM »
I've heard of one store closing on the 11th and one on the 18th. Trading as normal until closure, emptied and then the workmen move in. Probably reopen about 4 weeks later.  Might be one date set for all stores to reopen though. More impact that way

ETUKL

« Reply #7 on: 01-08-18, 07:59PM »
I wont be surprised if all metro convert to jacks they have the right store size when comparing to lidi and aldil

madness

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 01-08-18, 10:14PM »
Aldi and Lidl will be laughing their asses of at this. No way will these stores run without out the burocratic nonsense and 6 million proceedures tesco will insist on.

patty1

« Reply #9 on: 01-08-18, 10:49PM »
With a third of the staff?? These are not going to be normal stores. Normal rules won't apply.

PETE_M

« Reply #10 on: 02-08-18, 12:21AM »
Not all Metro stores will convert to Jacks. The central London and city centre stores probably won't, many are too small and those with their warehouse on the 1st floor or no carpark probably won't.

Metro stores I've  heard that are converting are:

Middlewich
Castle Bromwich
Liverpool Edge Lane
St Helens Clockface
Rubery

The mothballed stores in in Imminham and Chatteris have been split in two, half gone to Home Bargains and Pound Stretcher respectively, the raimianing space will become Jacks.

Nearly all the Metro stores converting to the Jacks brand are former Kwik Saves.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 02-08-18, 07:10AM »
Aldi and Lidl will be laughing their asses of at this. No way will these stores run without out the burocratic nonsense and 6 million proceedures tesco will insist on.
Indeed. It also can't carry any credibility with customers. Tesco is ignorant to the fact that Aldi and Lidl succeed because of their simplicity of offer and operation, lower price, comparable quality and decent range. In simple terms, they're just better at giving today's customers what they want and they do so without all the profit-centric bells & whistles Tesco employs to make the shopping trip more laborious than it already is.

Interesting that they are throwing so much time, energy, money and resource at this in a time of escalating rents (which will be a key determinant of locations chosen thus limiting capacity to directly compete) when they all they should do is cut prices and get rid of some suits in the core.

It's just another ridiculous marketing gimmick - remember 'fake farms'? - and customers are fed up with them after years of it.  This whole thing is an admission that Tesco has been ripping customers off for years.

Ultimately it will still be Tesco - you can take the name out of Tesco but you can't take Tesco out of the name.
« Last Edit: 02-08-18, 07:15AM by OvaSees »

Flatout

« Reply #12 on: 02-08-18, 07:36AM »
Part of Lidl and Aldi's strategy is to open stores near a Tesco store (other large stores are available!) Therefore taking trade that would normally go to Tesco. This is a strategy Jacks cannot employ, as they would be taking trade from the main Tesco brand.

Personally I think the bureaucracy that Tesco employ will spill over into Jacks and will kill the scheme stone dead.

filling-machine

« Reply #13 on: 02-08-18, 01:51PM »
Personally I think they could work (although not to the phenomenal extent of lidl etc). The whole reason they're not transferring staff straight over is to avoid transferring the "not my job" culture of many long standing staff. A big part of the discounters success is built on very hard working, multi skilled staff on flexible rotas. Everyone does every job as and when required - it's why their payroll model is half the cost of ours.......

sfsorrow

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 02-08-18, 03:20PM »
The whole reason they're not transferring staff straight over is to avoid transferring the "not my job" culture of many long standing staff.

Ha! Tesco divide and rule in action yet again. They are not transferring people because they don't want them to take across T&Cs, not attitudes.

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 02-08-18, 03:51PM »
Personally I think they could work (although not to the phenomenal extent of lidl etc). The whole reason they're not transferring staff straight over is to avoid transferring the "not my job" culture of many long standing staff. A big part of the discounters success is built on very hard working, multi skilled staff on flexible rotas. Everyone does every job as and when required - it's why their payroll model is half the cost of ours.......
as far as i know they get paid £10.50 an hour. tosco expect people to do all jobs for £2+ an hour less. f*** em!!!
« Last Edit: 02-08-18, 03:54PM by lackofinterest »

patty1

« Reply #16 on: 02-08-18, 03:57PM »
£9 per hour. That's what's on the adverts I've seen.  No discount, probably all single time  but that amount of detail isn't on there.  Same generic wording on  adverts for store manager,deputy and csa. Not seen anything for line managers.

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 02-08-18, 04:03PM »
f*** discount!! >:D

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 02-08-18, 05:03PM »
No, their payroll bill is lower than ours because they structure more leanly - they don't employ an endless stream of managers, regional teams and a bloated head office filled with non-value adding jobs. Quite simply, the discounters are inherently structured with low cost in mind by following the most simple of economic principles - if you cannot quantify what a job generates in terms of revenue or profit then that job is not necessary. It's why they are thus able to pay people more money and simultaneously generate significantly more sales per employee than Tesco - they focus on what matters. Besides, given the pay rates on offer, it's no wonder those 'hard working, multi skilled staff on flexible rotas' choose to work there while Tesco employs whoever is left. They are not just winning the war for custom, they are winning the war for the best labour, because they understand what employees want - money in their pocket - as much as they understand what customers want, which is why customers reward them by shopping with them in ever increasing numbers.

Call it Jack's or whatever you will, it's still Tesco, and as such will come with everything that entails including all the complexity and associated cost. And you can bet, if it isn't there at the start, it will gradually creep in, including 'own label', until it's indistinguishable from Metro. If this is the best innovation Tesco can come up with to address a threat that's been looming for over a decade and which it initially dismissed, against a backdrop of discounter plans to open thousands more stores over the next 5 years then it's failure is inevitable. A tin of Tesco beans is still a tin of Tesco beans regardless of where you buy it from, and we've been here already with One Stop which has practically vanished up it's own arse and been abandoned - Tesco lacks what it needs to make this happen and is unable or unwilling to do what it takes having rid itself of a lot of the talent, knowledge and experience that probably could have made this work.

Besides, despite Tesco having a 'loyalty' scheme customers are more loyal to the discounters who don't even have one, proof that they are better at giving customers what they want - customers thus reward them by doing business with them;-
https://www.talkingretail.com/news/industry-news/consumers-loyal-discounters-big-four-31-07-2018/
« Last Edit: 02-08-18, 05:05PM by OvaSees »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 02-08-18, 05:32PM »

Tesco just can't help themselves but add stupid bureaucracy and complexity into anything and everything, the latest nonsense is new replenishment routines being rolled out to some express stores (how exactly has filling stock from a cage changed recently) and people are being given jobs as coaches to go into stores and train the staff on said routines, wonder how much all this rubbish is costing. Jacks will no doubt be the same within a year, a good simple format to start with gets ruined by overpaid head office project managers that add nothing to the business.

Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #20 on: 02-08-18, 06:59PM »
I know of someone who has applied for what I presume would be a SM role (anything else would be a demotion) he has been interviewed but is nervous because of the change to Ts & Cs.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 02-08-18, 08:11PM »
Forrestgimp your point being?

AlexM

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 03-08-18, 07:33AM »
There's 3 Aldo's within a 10 minute drive from my house, of varying sizes. One has just opened. One thing I have noted is - they are all set out the same. All the same products are in the same aisle & all the aisles are in the same place in each shop, & it never gets chopped & changed.
None of this each shop has its own layout palaver that gets moved around every week, like Tesco. Must save a fortune not having to microplan every single shops layout. You can see why Aldi are managing to keep prices low.

Two of my biggest frustrations with Tesco are the constant moving of aisles & the constant changing of range. Go in one week & stuffs where you expect it to be. A week later & it's moved or they've stopped selling it!

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 03-08-18, 09:23AM »
AlexM :thumbup:

It makes it harder for the customers to find what they are looking for and takes longer for the fillers to put it on the shelf. The customers are constantly complaining about this in my place.

Totot

« Reply #24 on: 03-08-18, 09:59AM »
It is because tesco still use this old system from some "statistic researcher", a fake "statistic scientist" about how to make customer buy more.
The idea of moving stuff was customer will try to find their item, while they do that they will see other items and that they will buy those items even they didn't needed.

That and put slow song, smaller tiles etc, what a rubbish, this psychological trick that in some school already debunked in the 90's.
The principal of retailing been changing a lot since late 90's and early 2000's for few retailer, and some few new "art of retailing" been emerged since then.

That is why I really doubt that tesco can do this, well even tesco doubt it, if they are not, they will use this system to the whole tesco rather than make a new chain.

As far as I know, tesco still using the old method, it represent the way of thinking and knowledge in retail, when they get cornered they will use this biggest supermarket and the size of the company as true achievement.

Plus bragging cutting cost by cutting the staff number and holding the pay rise as achievement and showing tiny increase in selling as total winner while hiding the fact that price has gone up, inflation up and the market getting bigger and other competitors get more than this were say more what they try to show.

Me personally would never trust leaders who increase their income by cutting their staff income, they are no different than a zombie in my eyes.