Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-09-18, 12:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5970
  • Latest: Piggo64
Stats
  • Total Posts: 80620
  • Total Topics: 1688
  • Online Today: 90
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 88
Total: 91

Author Topic: Will Tesco follow suit with Aldi andLidl and close early if England get to final  (Read 4860 times)

jimbo4563

• VLH Supporter
I have read today that Aldi and Lidl are closing at 3pm if England get to World cup final. Who thinks Tesco should follow suit?

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
Not a chance in hell
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

rayinski

They should follow suit, then again, they should have come up with this first. Oh wait, I forgot the big bosses don't work weekends.  (-*-)

captain

• Smart Arse
Would be a great gesture, wonder if staff would lose an hour's pay?

Peppa17

• VLH Supporter
Shame Aldi & Lidl have to lead the way....Tesco is English company....you’d have thought they would of shown support.....oh wait this comment belongs to the ‘remember when’ thread!

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Pigs might fly.They would make you work time back as well.

bobbywm

• Regular Pain
Pigs might fly.They would make you work time back as well.
but if they made you work time back.  Would it still not be worth it..  just to see a piece of history.  Should your Team make the Final
Keep on Rockin' in the free world

Happy Days

Even though I have no time for tesco senior management. I am convinced that when England reach the final tesco will close early as well. Its coming home

Bleh

• Know All
Not a chance large format will be open as usual and express until 11pm, business as usual don’t get your hopes up for anything different.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
They can't even support staff by paying a decent wage so why would they support the England team.

FarmerFred

• Regular Pain
Given the demographic that Aldi/Lidl largely serve I suspect that the shops would be nearly empty anyway, closing early will be saving money...

hesketh

• Know All
The only way Tesco will close early is after a hugely publicised earlier opening.

"We are giving our valued customers an extra chance to stock up with their match essentials".......
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Final is on Sunday so non-express stores close at 4pm anyway (excluding Scotland who won't be interested anyway).  Don't see the problem?

In any case I bet the Germans have got a good price at the bookies to offset any loss of business should England be playing in the final.
« Last Edit: 10-07-18, 04:52PM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

jester21

I would be shocked if they close as PI dept need to do the labels before 12pm to get legal!

captain

• Smart Arse
Can any price increases or decreases for a week, simples

just curious

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
There's more chance that Tosco would want to stay open till six pm / eight pm like they did when the Olympics were on so you could still shop if you were not interested in football and escape the game or if you were to be watching football you could shop after the match .  :-X :-X :o :o

trolleyboy96

• Know All
No chance, stock control routines to do, pi, twilight stores have to fill the shop, more chance of double time back on Sunday....

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Our store was completely empty while the quarter final was being played.
All the managers (including SM) and their flunkies were near the front of the store with beer and nibbles watching the match on a TV set up for customers.
While 75% of the tills were open and the poor sods had to sit there waiting for non existing customers and were not even allowed to watch it on their phones!
So in all probabilities it will be just normal hours.

Crocodile Dundee Centre

The Germans know full well English fans will be anywhere other than  a supermarket by 4pm

Probably cost them more to stay open empty than to close an empty store at 3pm

PR exercise only

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Also less chance of  people calling in sick if store shuts at 3pm. Tesco will more than likely stay open till 4pm, take peanuts in takings after 3pm and see a huge spike in one day absence. Morale will dip just before the next WMTY launches.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
Morale will dip ??? It’s at rock bottom just now. The TMs are trying hard but too little to late. Hard but not hard enough.

Wearethehearts

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
DL is about to ask the government if he can open longer should England reach the final , nothing better than your minions making the money while your off enjoying your weekend

Darth Tosco

Lidl are the official supermarket of the England team (go figure) so can understand them shutting.  Tesco are reluctant to close for Christmas day, so not a chance for a footy match.  I'm guessing the disabled toilets will be permanently engaged as someone will be in there watching it on wifi. lol

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
This is a staff announcement could the owner of the engaged toilet please go to the staff reception.

madness

• Know All
Our store was completely empty while the quarter final was being played.
All the managers (including SM) and their flunkies were near the front of the store with beer and nibbles watching the match on a TV set up for customers.
While 75% of the tills were open and the poor sods had to sit there waiting for non existing customers and were not even allowed to watch it on their phones!
So in all probabilities it will be just normal hours.

In general. And please note i'm saying this in general. Checkouts is staffed by mostly woman of an older age who have zero interest in the football and have been complaining about it being on all the time.