Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:13AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60688
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: The 2005 multi-skilling deal  (Read 12083 times)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Re: The 2005 multi-skilling deal
« Reply #25 on: 23-06-18, 01:39PM »
The union has agreed that while the 2005 deal exists, it only stated checkouts. Self service and scan as you shop didn’t exist at the time, and are not covered by this exemption as they are separate from checkouts
That is one interpretation. Another one is that they are all types of checkout and so are all covered by the exemption.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

sfsorrow

« Reply #26 on: 23-06-18, 02:41PM »
We'll see what happens. I think he'd probably be willing to give the self scan a go but I'm not convinced he'd be good at it. I will update the forum when he tells me what the upshot of his conversation with management is.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #27 on: 23-06-18, 04:31PM »
Seems that some who genuinely wish to help,like your friend,will get pushed to do even more. That doesn't seem fair. Best of luck to him.  :thumbup:

AlexM

• Know All
« Reply #28 on: 23-06-18, 04:40PM »
In the shop I used to work in the replen manager had told all his staff to come up with some medical reason why the couldn't use checkouts so his staff were never pulled to answer red calls (allergic to cash, anyone?!).

Kinda bit him in the ass when they made him checkout manager tho.
One guy pretended to have particularly bad dyslexia. Everytime they attempted to till train him his till was out by loads of money & every customer coming back for a double difference refund. He had no trouble completing the annual legal training or WMTY survey tho.....

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 23-06-18, 05:50PM »
I'm with gomezz here....the term is "checkout" which is the act of "checking out" your purchases.

Be it self serve, self scan or till....it's the act of checking out, and therefore should be interpreted as such. Why was the agreement made, if it wasn't important?? Why are some so keen to override this agreement?? Those not contracted to the front end, should be supported by their colleagues not berated for not being a team player. They are in RHRP for their departments, to complete their tasks, and most of those departments are under hours as we all know HO rarely give the budget to cover those hours.

The pressure put on shopfloor colleagues is unfair. Their dept hours don't allow for answering service calls and rumble, but both is expected of them....then the knock on effect of their dept load building up for the next shift etc....etc....

How come checkout operators aren't expected to train to multiskill on other depts...so they can go support??....why don't they rumble?? All seems a bit one sided to me ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

flowerpower

« Reply #30 on: 23-06-18, 06:24PM »
Lucgeo
I agree with you there check out sit there for ages talking amongst themselves if shop floor where seen talking for that long a manager would soon be over and find them something to do

Argonaut

• Regular Pain
  • Paese che vai, usanze che trovi
« Reply #31 on: 23-06-18, 07:27PM »
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what is it with Tesco people ," I cant fill that I don't know the aisle" …. however find things when they're shopping or giving 'Service' helping a Customer  …. I mean products are grouped together FGS   … …" I  cant go on a till … I get nervous handling money "  or have some condition... or someone in a service based industry agreed I don't have to serve a customer at a till just on the shop floor …. " I cant work past five or before nine as my husband need his tea and the kids need breakfast"  ….. look at what the discounters are doing and how they operate ….

you can attempt to rollout WSS in the hope it replicates the said discounters structure however its never gonna work with such an inflexible and stuck in their ways workforce ….

glad I'm out of it  >:(

sfsorrow

« Reply #32 on: 23-06-18, 07:31PM »
What is it with Tesco people expecting the company to stick to a binding agreement? Honestly, people these days.

Which of your other T&Cs are you happy to apply a bit of flexibility to? Shall we start with your annual leave? After all, Tesco would be in a much better position to take on the discounters if its staff would work a few extra days a year.

Argonaut

• Regular Pain
« Reply #33 on: 23-06-18, 07:40PM »
what are you going on about quoting 'Your'
I'm not Tesco ?!

Things change , agreements are just agreements … you can state 'binding' however that's your choice of terminology ….that's how businesses succeed by evolving and adapting
wake up and smell the tiger bread

sfsorrow

« Reply #34 on: 23-06-18, 07:55PM »
It's funny how at Tesco "adapting" always seems to involve hacking away at the T&Cs of its staff.

Argonaut

• Regular Pain
« Reply #35 on: 23-06-18, 08:05PM »
maybe..... however perhaps its a delusional workforce who just "Don't Like Change"
Terms and conditions …… makes me actually giggle … these people know they work in a public place, serving the public, don't they ….
I'm out of it , as are you however surely when you take a job you expect to tow the line with expectations from who PAYS you ….
« Last Edit: 23-06-18, 08:14PM by Argonaut »

sfsorrow

« Reply #36 on: 23-06-18, 08:33PM »
I expect to work in line with the agreement I've made with the employer?

m360

• Know All
« Reply #37 on: 23-06-18, 10:07PM »
I'm with gomezz here....the term is "checkout" which is the act of "checking out" your purchases.

Be it self serve, self scan or till....it's the act of checking out, and therefore should be interpreted as such. Why was the agreement made, if it wasn't important?? Why are some so keen to override this agreement?? Those not contracted to the front end, should be supported by their colleagues not berated for not being a team player. They are in RHRP for their departments, to complete their tasks, and most of those departments are under hours as we all know HO rarely give the budget to cover those hours.

The pressure put on shopfloor colleagues is unfair. Their dept hours don't allow for answering service calls and rumble, but both is expected of them....then the knock on effect of their dept load building up for the next shift etc....etc....

How come checkout operators aren't expected to train to multiskill on other depts...so they can go support??....why don't they rumble?? All seems a bit one sided to me ??? ???

Their department hours do allow for rumble.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 23-06-18, 10:54PM »
The union has agreed that while the 2005 deal exists, it only stated checkouts. Self service and scan as you shop didn’t exist at the time, and are not covered by this exemption as they are separate from checkouts, and so it is a reasonable request to ask a colleague from pre 2005 to be trained in these areas. So stick to your guns if you like, but they can still make you get trained in those areas with union backing. And I know most people would rather sit on a till than handle 4-8 self serve tills and do scan as you shop service checks.
If people were needed on those areas, the roles could and should have been filled by those whose jobs were eliminated by the introduction of them, since they were no longer needed on a manned checkout which was removed as a result. So again, the issue is a shortage of people - or very, very poor scheduling - and not willingness to multi-skill.

maybe..... however perhaps its a delusional workforce who just "Don't Like Change"
Or perhaps it's a beleagured workforce that's had enough of being trampled over under the guise of 'change'? After having premiums, hours, pensions, shares and even jobs hacked, I can hardly blame them. If I signed a contract in 2004 that stated I did not have to be multi-skilled on checkouts then I accepted the job on that basis and it is not - in law or otherwise - unreasonable to expect my employer to stick to it. If you want to point the finger of blame, point it at Tesco who were short sighted enough to (i) agree to it and (ii) not to forsee the coming change - they have always claimed, after all, to 'know our customers better than anyone'. Shame they don't have a clue about their staff.

m360 - does that allowance for Rumble apply to checkouts too? I never realised that.
« Last Edit: 23-06-18, 11:03PM by OvaSees »

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #39 on: 23-06-18, 11:27PM »
The 2005 pay agreement created pay parity between the shop floor staff and the cashiers, who up to then had been paid a higher rate. The agreement recognised that the shop floor role was a job of equal worth - in other words it wasn't dependant on being till trained.

m360

• Know All
« Reply #40 on: 24-06-18, 07:57AM »
Checkouts don’t have any hours allowance for rumble.

All the replenishment departments have hours designated for rumble.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 24-06-18, 08:33AM »
And yet every replenishment dept in our store is under hours, excuse being that they are not sufficient hours to employ another person on a low hour contract ??? Checkout support is not recognised, and the service calls are constant. So someone somewhere is fudging the books ??? Service calls in my store start from early morning, every day, so it's not just holiday or sickness cover ???

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #42 on: 24-06-18, 09:53AM »
The question i have is to what extent a agreement made 15 years ago is relevant in today's massively different retail environment?

As a company we now at induction till train every new colleague thus showing the importance we as a business place on serving the public.

15 years ago managers didn't carry mobile phones would you back a manager refusing to do so today coz when they started in 1980 they didn't have to?

Yes there will always be individuals who for health/disability grounds etc should never be made to operate a till but many others are perfectly capable of doing so and should give it a go. They may even enjoy it.
may enjoy it  :D :D :D

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #43 on: 24-06-18, 12:38PM »

Checkout staff can be required to train on other departments... In last two weeks I've helped out on the fresh food counters, grocery, and the fresh delivery, and the trolleys. And I've even Rumbled.

Really, though, the reality is many checkout operators are unsuitable for shop floor work... Lots of them have various illnesses / disabilities. Further, as a rule, checkout staff levels are kept lower than necessary to achieve IDQ which is the entire reason for multiskilling.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #44 on: 24-06-18, 01:51PM »
The question i have is to what extent a agreement made 15 years ago is relevant in today's massively different retail environment?

As a company we now at induction till train every new colleague thus showing the importance we as a business place on serving the public.

15 years ago managers didn't carry mobile phones would you back a manager refusing to do so today coz when they started in 1980 they didn't have to?

Yes there will always be individuals who for health/disability grounds etc should never be made to operate a till but many others are perfectly capable of doing so and should give it a go. They may even enjoy enjoy it.
I agree. Some just don't want step out of their comfort zone. I'd love to train on other departments but my manager blocked it

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #45 on: 24-06-18, 02:11PM »
Walker, was that a typo error?? "Checkout levels are kept lower than necessary to achieve IDQ" ??? ??? Doesn't that defeat the object  ???

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #46 on: 24-06-18, 02:46PM »
Walker, was that a typo error?? "Checkout levels are kept lower than necessary to achieve IDQ" ??? ??? Doesn't that defeat the object  ???

No, absolutely not.

Staffing levels on tills are always set below the level needed to achieve IDQ consistently.  ( except at periods like Christmas).

It's because of business volatility. In essence you can't predict how many items will be scanned per hour. If a timeslot varies between 7,000 items an hour and 15,000 in an ideal world the store will have 7 members of staff employed on the till.

The other members of staff needed to comply with IDQ will be employed on the shop floor, and will be called on when trading is busy.

Obviously it's not an ideal world.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 24-06-18, 07:33PM »
Staffing  ;D compliance  :D

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #48 on: 24-06-18, 09:45PM »
So if I'm understanding this right....the checkout team are deliberately under manned, and any shortfall should be covered by the shopfloor staff, who are also undermanned, to complete their dept tasks and expected to answer service calls, whenever....for as long as needed.. ??? ???.....the bloody lunatics are running the asylum   :o :o

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #49 on: 25-06-18, 03:26PM »
^ no, the accountants are, and that’s why we’re in a perpetual operational quagmire.