Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-09-19, 03:44AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60705
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 90
Total: 93

Author Topic: Can't beat them, join them.  (Read 1874 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Can't beat them, join them.
« on: 21-06-18, 10:01AM »
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6576872/tesco-project-reset-scrapping-products-lidl-aldi/

TESCO is stripping its shelves of a number of household brands in a dramatic bid to streamline its product range and lower prices.

Dubbed Project Reset, the shake-up is an attempt by Britain’s biggest supermarket to eclipse its low-cost rivals Lidl and Aldi.

It’s a model which has worked for German-owned companies Lidl and Aldi – the latter of which was recently named grocer of the year.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

strebor

• Regular Pain
Re: Can't beat them, join them.
« Reply #1 on: 21-06-18, 10:36AM »
Not sure if that's the right thing I for one can't do a full shop at discounters because I can't get a lot of the things I want .What will shoppers like me do . Go to Sainsbury's.  And I'm sue I won't be the only one

Totot

« Reply #2 on: 21-06-18, 10:44AM »
Tesco would never learn, their management skills mostly about ocd-ness. Forget about financial management in proper way, they could only fiddly with math approach.

Lidl and aldi might be strong in europe strategically but in some asian country, they will need much more than that.
Tesco need to learn alot, but i guess it wont happened soon. Too many things wrong in general system and work system. Career competition is mostly for people who want or close to someone up there.
Even if tesco suddenly got twice amount of customer just like that, they will scr*w it even more, that how bad they are.
Seems like loads of management dont have a clue what business is, all the managerial flexibility are almost non existent, either like people who follow dummy text book or just being lazy and dont care.

Not many manager in tesco know what management is even. To manage resources. To make priority because resources are limited. And being bossy and ocd is NOT management skill.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 21-06-18, 11:08AM »
This is not new, it has been ongoing for sometime. Tesco wont match Aldi and Lidl unless costs are cut massively across the business, and I think we all know it will be us guys in the firing line again next one way or another.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 21-06-18, 11:13AM »
They are bossy and the work gets finished why would they want to adopt an every little helps approach. They are all to busy trying to keep people to the death and get every last pound of flesh out them. I am surprised more people don’t tell them they are all pr**k*. Since when did a flattened cardboard box count as ppe.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #5 on: 21-06-18, 12:58PM »
As strebor says, people come to Tesco for the variety they don't get at Lidl or Aldi. If prices are not also dramatically lowered, a smaller range of products won't attract anyone.
Of course, maybe they do hope to pass on the savings made by only having to faff around with 6 types of ketchup instead of 26.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 21-06-18, 03:20PM »
If drastic wants to compete and mimic aldi and lidl, then they need to be measuring their managers and store managers for headsets. An aldi near me, has the manager on the shopfloor, checkout and filling, all the while talking and directing his team.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 02-07-18, 11:32PM »
Tesco would never learn, their management skills mostly about ocd-ness. Forget about financial management in proper way, they could only fiddly with math approach.
This, Tesco loves to fuss over delicate complexities whilst remaining blisfully ignorant to the blatantly obvious basic problems. Retail is an incredibly simple business that is hammered out by hard working people on shop floors and in warehouses - Tesco has merely excelled at making complicated and a business that is fussed over by bespectacled non-jobs governed by Excel.

Tesco need to learn alot, but i guess it wont happened soon.
Tesco is nearly a century old, and there isn't a person alive today who was around when it started. It's already learned all it wants to know. If, after all that time as a retailer, it still has to learn that people want low prices, decent service and choice then that says everything about it's arrogance.

Not many manager in tesco know what management is even. To manage resources. To make priority because resources are limited. And being bossy and ocd is NOT management skill.
You are right, that's not management skill. But it's the Tesco way, and as stated above after being around for so long it sees no reason to change - Tesco still believes the things that made it big will keep it big.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 02-07-18, 11:55PM »
I do really hate big stores with very poor range. Whats the point to keep huge store space and nothing to offer.