Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-05-19, 04:27AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57059
  • Total Topics: 1008
  • Online Today: 116
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 86
Total: 89

Author Topic: Holidays in December  (Read 5110 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Holidays in December
« on: 19-06-18, 06:15PM »
Manager in a store I know of is refusing to authorise any holidays in December, now whilst I believe policies make it clear that they can be restricted surely a blanket ban isn't right. Can anyone throw in their comments and point to anywhere in Tesco's policies which say there is NO holidays can be booked then, and also how best to progress, is greivance etc.
DFL

Thevamps

Re: Holidays in December
« Reply #1 on: 19-06-18, 06:38PM »
Lots of staff have holidays in December in my store form the first week  in Dec to personal days and bank Hol days tagged on at Christmas clearly not company policy or all stores would be the same.

Life after tossco

« Reply #2 on: 19-06-18, 08:18PM »
This was the Same in my store and imposed by complete tossers for management. The only thing I can suggest is what I did and many others and that was to go sick! Tesco never wins!

Global Moderator Comment Edited to remove offensive comment.
« Last Edit: 19-06-18, 09:04PM by tumshie »

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 19-06-18, 08:50PM »

Life after Tesco  >:(

Your comment is not called for   >:( >:(

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 19-06-18, 10:03PM »
Surely that depends what department you work on.

I can fully understand grocery, non food and replenishment team not being allowed holidays in December as turnover on those departments increase week on week in December.

However if you work fresh then customers don't buy until it says best before after December 25th so I can see no reason at all why these departments can't have time off up to, say, the 15th December

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 19-06-18, 10:27PM »
DOTCOM I think it was
DFL

rayinski

« Reply #6 on: 19-06-18, 10:37PM »
I always have a week off in December.  When I moved to my current store my department manager said that holidays were not permitted in December other that the personal day I pointed out to her that the personal day can be taken any time of year and I asked her to show me the policy stating otherwise or let me have the week off. As there is no policy I got the week off and take my personal day at a time that suits me.

Jethro

« Reply #7 on: 19-06-18, 10:57PM »
Phone in sick and use your holidays another time, jobs a good un

m360

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 20-06-18, 12:15AM »
Not so great advice if the person doesn’t get paid for the first three days, leaving their pre-Christmas pay short.

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 20-06-18, 12:19AM »
I love how people on here complain about having to work hard due to staff cuts, complain about premium cuts and reducing hours and then tell people to lie and phone in sick.

Do people not realise that the company is reducing costs to save money and it is reasons like people being paid for time off sick when they aren't that necessitate this.

If you believe you should be allowed the time off then grievance it to higher management and/or speak to union rep.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 20-06-18, 02:11AM »
@captain
Our store must be very different then because fresh replenishment is murder for weeks before Xmas.  People have pre Xmas parties , cook things and freeze them or just buy stuff to freeze so they can spread the cost . Some things don't change much like yoghurts but apart from that's it's hell on earth like most retail in December.
Although areas like srm and pi I believe have a lighter workload , I can't see Tesco getting away with saying those departments can have hols but replen, check outs or phone shop  staff can't.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 20-06-18, 06:24AM »
I know a lot of questions on here can get emotive and emotional responses, and I thank you to everyone who responds, but is there anyone who can answer the original question or has experience of this and has been able to prove that policies on the whole surmount to being "not a blanket ban"
DFL

Jethro

« Reply #12 on: 20-06-18, 07:47AM »
The store manager is being totally unreasonable, by refusing holidays in December, work a few overtime shifts, get your money in then phone in sick, it's what they deserve with their unreasonable behaviour.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #13 on: 20-06-18, 09:47AM »
Ask the manager to show you the policy that says they can impose this ban.

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #14 on: 20-06-18, 10:13AM »
I know a lot of questions on here can get emotive and emotional responses, and I thank you to everyone who responds, but is there anyone who can answer the original question or has experience of this and has been able to prove that policies on the whole surmount to being "not a blanket ban"

The holiday policy states:

Some departments and functions will restrict holiday according to the time of the year, for example, stores and distribution over the Christmas period.

Usdaw States:

Holidays need to be agreed between the individual and their Manager. In most cases we would expect holiday requests to be authorised. However, requests can be turned down if there isn’t adequate cover in the department. In this case we suggest alternative dates are agreed to make sure the individual takes their full holiday entitlement.

There are no ‘holiday freeze’ periods in Tesco, ie days when nobody will be allowed to take a holiday.

Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 20-06-18, 03:04PM »
Oh Jethro

Colleagues that do as you advise, are extremely unpopular in my store, and rightly so. It's a busy time for all, we've all got families, preparations etc....and the skivers who go off sick, to get a crafty holiday in, just dump a load more work on their dept colleagues!! On one occasion a manager was having a go at our team, as the workload was behind...I told him to have a go at the skivers who called in sick, and not at the mugs who turned up!! Fair play, he apologised, and bought us all a brekkie :)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Jethro

« Reply #16 on: 20-06-18, 03:29PM »
When someone continually screws you over like tesco are doing to many of their staff with things like cutting Sunday premiums, the skills payment, the allocation of holidays etc then you are in your rights to screw them over, do you not think ?

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #17 on: 20-06-18, 04:05PM »
Treat employees with disdain then the conscientious worker will evaporate.
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 20-06-18, 04:17PM »
Treat others as you wish to be treated. If you get treated like c**p, treat that same individual/group in kind.

It's disgraceful how some management  in Tesco treat their staff, they shouldn't be surprised when the sentiment is to return the favour.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #19 on: 20-06-18, 05:30PM »
We are going off topic but, do onto others as they do unto you.

December holiday, anyone ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

hot_chick

• Regular Pain
« Reply #20 on: 20-06-18, 09:10PM »
I've never had a problem having holidays in December, I've actually had Xmas off a number of times.  I put a letter and holiday form in to my manager and store manager every time.  I have yet to be refused!  There are no freeze weeks and if the line manager or even store manager said otherwise then that's when you need to go to union( not that I'm a big fan) and push the issue.
« Last Edit: 20-06-18, 09:11PM by hot_chick »

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 20-06-18, 11:39PM »
Well a few weeks ago I saw our holiday book and December had no one off but the pages were all scored out
DFL

hot_chick

• Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 21-06-18, 07:12AM »
This is from our tesco.....

Your holiday dates need to be agreed with your manager who will need to take the whole department’s holiday requests into account.  You need to request holiday using the holiday request form or online tool as appropriate in your area of the business.

Generally holiday is agreed on a first come, first served basis, taking department needs and when the request has been made into consideration. To avoid disappointment, make sure you give as much notice as possible.  Please give a minimum of four weeks’ notice in writing, using the
process defined in your team, although if your manager agrees, you don’t have to.

In stores, your manager must respond to your request within seven days or you can assume that your request has been authorised.  As a guideline, 75% of your holiday and bank holiday should be taken between 1st April and 31st October, with the balance being taken between 1st November and 31st
March.

**Some departments and functions will restrict holiday according to the time of the year, for example, stores and
distribution over the Christmas period. **

It’s your responsibility to make sure you have booked and taken all of your holiday within the holiday year so that you
don’t lose out.  In stores your manager will hold a holiday review meeting with you to help you plan your holiday for the year. As a
last resort, your manager may allocate holidays if you haven’t booked them.  If you are a new starter in stores you are restricted from taking more than 25% of your holiday in your first three months of service.

What if I need more time off than my holiday allowance?  There are a number of options to support you if you want to take more leave:
Extended holiday leave, you can request up to four additional weeks’ unpaid leave so long as you have at least one year’s service. You need to give at least four weeks’ notice to your manager and you can have one period of extended leave every two years.

So as above they can restrict holidays but there are no freeze weeks. If your manager has said no then there needs to be a reason why. Is there another staff member off?   

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #23 on: 21-06-18, 08:48AM »
There was no staff members off the pages for December were completely scored out, it says that in my last post.

Thanks for all your replies so far folks.
« Last Edit: 21-06-18, 08:49AM by dfl »
DFL

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #24 on: 21-06-18, 12:49PM »
I guess the dept manager could say they have assessed the December workload for their department along with the staffing level needed and have determined that they cannot give anyone holiday during that time.

Going by the info quoted by Loki and hot_chick, the manager would be within their rights to say that.