Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:29AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60799
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 110
Total: 115

Author Topic: Tesco Direct RIP  (Read 22303 times)

FunkSoulBrother

Tesco Direct RIP
« on: 22-05-18, 04:03PM »
Prince Charles (Wilson) of Tosco just announced this one:

"Dear colleagues,
Following a detailed review of our non-food business, we’ve taken the difficult decision to close our Tesco Direct website on 9 July 2018. As part of this, our intention is to close the fulfilment centre at Fenny Lock which supports the service."

I hope there will be a bit more resistance against cheap redundancies compared to when they closed the call centre in Cardiff...

What's next?!
the harder they come...

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
Re: Tesco Direct RIP
« Reply #1 on: 22-05-18, 04:26PM »

what is it you say they should do in  fighting the closing of fenny lock ?

Red Rock

• Regular Pain
  • Together We Achieve More
« Reply #2 on: 22-05-18, 04:36PM »
Feel sorry for those effected by today's announcement.  However, the powers to be have made some hellish and diabolical decisions over the years when it comes to non food projects.  Their Del Boy cars sales cones to the forefront of my mind every time they announce closures like this. 

T.C.1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 22-05-18, 04:42PM »
What next?? I reckon nonfood departments instore will go the same way as the opticians did i.e. another company will take it over

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 22-05-18, 04:45PM »
So if Tesco can't make a profit how does Argos.

Sometimes it's better to make a loss than give a lot of extra business to your main competitor i.e. Argos/Sainsbury's and soon to be Asda.

Obviously I don't know how much of a loss direct incurred but I bet if Argos is, at best, break even then the extra business might tip it into profit.

I think there will be cuts across the company on customer service desks and maybe if tobacco goes and lottery is incorporated into self service checkouts then what else will a customer service desk do?

So, to quote a Tesco saying "the bigger picture" is cut backs in store as well.

Wonder what will happen to phone shops????

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 22-05-18, 05:18PM »
As i remember Argos sales had slumped when Sainsbury moved in , and its the direct side that Tesco are closing down with them moving some lines to the grocery web site ,
 as it stand we have no idea how much of a loss Argos makes on its on line sales ,

And I agree we will see cuts made in stores esspecialy since no one will have to deal with direct orders or returns , which I am sure will make many in Express happy ,

Jacket potato

« Reply #6 on: 22-05-18, 05:35PM »
Confused as there are changes coming in store too to non food as the Oakwood rep in our store has said we are losing mods on books cds games and DVDs . How will that look ! Argos will get a surge in certain items as tosco no longer sell them ???? Amazon and Argos must be rubbing their hands together.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 22-05-18, 05:43PM »
As i remember Argos sales had slumped when Sainsbury moved in , and its the direct side that Tesco are closing down with them moving some lines to the grocery web site ,
 as it stand we have no idea how much of a loss Argos makes on its on line sales ,

And I agree we will see cuts made in stores esspecialy since no one will have to deal with direct orders or returns , which I am sure will make many in Express happy ,

Until Express find out more stores are getting the pleasure of collect plus another big roll out is on the way, and that is ten times more messing around for express than direct ever was.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

FunkSoulBrother

« Reply #8 on: 22-05-18, 06:03PM »
Notsofunny: they might not be blue to stop the closure, but if they put up some resistance they might be able to get out with better conditions and their heads held high. We had a good time supporting the Ford Visteon workers in Enfield when factory closure happened to them in 2009 and they decided to occupy. And at least they secured their Ford pension and redundancy - without direct action they would have gone empty handed:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/apr/02/visteon-enfield-ford-protest
the harder they come...

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 22-05-18, 06:27PM »
Xmas/Black Friday will be interesting as direct took a lot of trade in Store.  At least if you wanted a set toy/game direct ensured you could get. How many customers will now go to our large extras expecting great availability and leave disappointed?

Whilst I agree no business can run at a loss surely we could have tried a fee to order/realistic time scales to deliver etc.

Long term will they take the same axe to .Com which rumour has it equally runs at a loss?

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 22-05-18, 06:44PM »
Gutted for everyone at Fenny Lock went down and supported them about three years ago had a great set of people in there learnt a lot and was made to feel welcome from day one. Was thinking about transferring down there some day.

Good luck to everyone :( :(
Has This Been Briefed Out??

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 22-05-18, 07:23PM »
Londoner83. Dotcom just about breaks even, but if it was to stop then Tesco would be giving a huge chunk of grocery market share away to it's competitors which I can't see happening.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #12 on: 22-05-18, 07:37PM »
 So how it will look like from store perspective??? More/less work/stock???
How Tesco managed to fail in e-comerce??? Its usually big competition to stores as its cheaper to run. Did sale was so low that it was impossible to cover labour n logistics?

Wandy

« Reply #13 on: 22-05-18, 07:43PM »
@londoner83 can’t help feel that is what the company have done pulling the online service too. It’s no longer a competitive market in my opinion, it’s now more sell off assets/make cut backs but keep a jumbo jet we don’t and won’t use!!

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 22-05-18, 07:52PM »
Confused as there are changes coming in store too to non food as the Oakwood rep in our store has said we are losing mods on books cds games and DVDs . How will that look ! Argos will get a surge in certain items as tosco no longer sell them ???? Amazon and Argos must be rubbing their hands together.

Books /cd/dvd sales have collapsed and the stores like all others in retail have been cutting back on space for some time , some how i do see over time Tesco Incresing what they plan to sell on the other website , as well as increasing the range in store ,

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 22-05-18, 08:06PM »
Notsofunny: they might not be blue to stop the closure, but if they put up some resistance they might be able to get out with better conditions and their heads held high. We had a good time supporting the Ford Visteon workers in Enfield when factory closure happened to them in 2009 and they decided to occupy. And at least they secured their Ford pension and redundancy - without direct action they would have gone empty handed:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/apr/02/visteon-enfield-ford-protest

From what i remember most not if all have been working at penny lock for 3/4 years so Redundancy payments will be low , But will be what is given to everyone else in Tesco , (I would think so ) as to heads held high  ???  they dont have to hold heads down if thats what you are suggesting  8-)
And

Wandy what Jumbo Jet ???
« Last Edit: 22-05-18, 08:13PM by notsofunny »

overworkedexpresslad

« Reply #16 on: 22-05-18, 08:10PM »
so with the closure of Tesco direct due soon, when is the next double discount due so we can all make use of direct before they lay in to rest,

billandben

« Reply #17 on: 22-05-18, 08:12PM »
Another new job at the top and another department gone

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 22-05-18, 08:15PM »
so with the closure of Tesco direct due soon, when is the next double discount due so we can all make use of direct before they lay in to rest,

My better half tells me it should be in about 2 weeks time ,but I dont expect a major sale ,,

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 22-05-18, 08:20PM »
Yet .com continues at which has to be at a staggering loss.

Picker, Driver and Vehicle cost has to wipe out Grocery Profit and incur a loss, doesn’t it?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 22-05-18, 08:42PM »
According to my dotcom manager, the dotcom side of the business only makes around 1% profit, so for every order we deliver of £100 we make £1 profit. Don't know if that's true but just what I've been told.

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 22-05-18, 08:51PM »
And how did he get that from ?

And if it is 1% how much sales do we have on dotcom? which will give use a total ,

I think all in all no one has the info as to what  tesco make or dont , and up to now i had it in mind like Duracell that we made a loss in dot com , just like everyone else does ,,

TechSupporter

• Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 22-05-18, 09:06PM »

If a 20% event starts before direct has closed, all direct items will be excluded. It's in the Q+A online at ourtesco.... >:(

Crocodile Dundee Centre

« Reply #23 on: 22-05-18, 09:34PM »
The company punted out jobs to Capita in Bury, taking Direct customer service calls. This is a death knell for Dundee. They started painting walls and re-carpetting just like they did in Cardiff  :(

Tesco / Booker destined to be a supply chain for high street stores and eateries?

Large store formats and dotcomedy make nothing.  The profit comes from the smaller format although I believe they will be franchised off.

This company is changing, morphing into something very different  :'(

Vanilla

« Reply #24 on: 22-05-18, 10:01PM »
This company is a sorry excuse for a joke.
And the worst of it is that these numpties actually get paid for making such decisions.
All I can say is that I hope karma prevails and that there's a place for them in heaven.