Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
05-12-19, 10:24PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62726
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 124
Total: 128

Author Topic: Intimidated at work  (Read 11065 times)

StayCation01

Intimidated at work
« on: 01-05-18, 02:56PM »
I work in Dotcom as a picker, I keep my head down and always exceed the pickrate. My team leader speaks to me as though i'm garbage so I barely speak. In our team lots of staff won't do any chilled trollies so I mentioned that the first trolley should be chosen each time to be fair to other staff. I got shouted at again and asked 'what am I on about' in manner I found intimidating. I was sworn at on my way out as I backed down and took the trolley out. This team leader aldo makes derogatory comments about my age and I admit I am scared of him.  What do I do? Keep my head down or just move on? I have very bad mental health issues and this is making me ill.

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
Re: Intimidated at work
« Reply #1 on: 01-05-18, 03:09PM »
First step report the MotherF####r swearing at you is not acceptable you would be dragged over the coals if you acted that way. Also don,t allow him to speak down to you he is no better than you simply because he has a Managers badge.Make sure you remain calm during any confrontation do not go down to his level. If you need to make sure someone else is within ear shot of any conversation that takes place. Finally keep a note of all events when you interact with him.
« Last Edit: 01-05-18, 03:15PM by GasMonkey »

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 01-05-18, 05:21PM »
Me, personally I rise above it, go back to keeping my head down and I no longer have good ideas or opinions I just let them think they are full of good ideas and I smile to myself when it goes tits up. I am sooo stress free now

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 01-05-18, 05:43PM »
Totally agree with GasMonkey's advice.  Make a record events with as much detail as possible (date, time, location, what was said, witnesses, important how you felt).  If the work is being unfairly allocated, make notes of that, too.  Of course, age discrimination is against the law.  You wouldn't need to accumulate much detail before putting in a grievance - just enough to be credible evidence.  Taking out a grievance may/should make him stop, but if not, keep taking notes and put in another grievance as soon as you have enough evidence that the matter isn't resolved.  USDAW has a bad reputation, but I think still worthwhile joining in order to be represented in such a situation.  Remember - your manager is not just being nasty - he is BREAKING THE LAW, not just age discrimination, but breach of contract (Google 'breach of trust by employer'), but you need to collect the evidence/details to prove it.

I do agree with captain to the extent of not bothering to give them helpful suggestions, but not if your suggestions are to address unfairness.  However, I don't agree with rising above it, because it is upsetting you too much and why should the manager be allowed to do so without complaint?

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 01-05-18, 06:30PM »
Agree blutopia, each person should make their own decisions what to do, the point I was trying to get across was years ago something like this would wind me up big style leading to loss of sleep, worry and anxiety then I thought why worry coz a lot of bully managers respond to seeing people getting stressed

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 01-05-18, 09:07PM »
I fully understand what is being said as a lot of the management in my place are like this. Report the manager under the grievance procedure explaining exactly what you said here. Your grievance will be brushed aside by the lead team but at least you will have made them aware of his behaviour and attitude. You should tell them the affect it has had on you. Hopefully the manager will have had a few complaints previously and the SM will have a conversation with them.

fargone

• Smart Arse

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 02-05-18, 02:49AM »
Agree blutopia, each person should make their own decisions what to do, the point I was trying to get across was years ago something like this would wind me up big style leading to loss of sleep, worry and anxiety then I thought why worry coz a lot of bully managers respond to seeing people getting stressed

Being bullied is a horrible journey.  I'm pleased you decided on a solution that works for you. 

Tambrath

« Reply #8 on: 07-05-18, 06:34PM »
Report them, you find a lot of so called team leaders, not all of them, are idiots worked there for umpteen years and get tesco madness think they know it all but know jack s***, report them now.

Not sure if it's the norm but to many managers doing f*** all in dot com.

Kingkong2015

« Reply #9 on: 08-05-18, 08:51PM »
Report them and start to keep notes of things this pr*ck has been doing, managers do tend to think they can do what they want, but don’t let them. We all have enough problems outside work without bringing them too work. Don’t use protector line seems that whoever rings this there I’d gets back to the offender, typical Tesco, i’m Afraid. Good luck!

memberx

« Reply #10 on: 09-05-18, 08:15AM »
Phone the protector line. They will take up your concerns. Then sit back and wait for the c**p to roll back down the hill towards the bully.
But get times. Dates. And witnesses

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 09-05-18, 01:07PM »
Remember that Tesco policy regarding bullying and intimidation is Impact vs Intent. So even if the team leader claims he did not intend to intimidate or bully you, that is not a viable defence. Unless he can prove his behaviour was completely reasonable, he's in trouble.

As others have said, take notes of any times you feel his behaviour crossed the line. Try to find witnesses if possible. You mentioned you have mental health issues? If you are being treated, ask your doctor for a letter you can show to management, stating that this idiot's behaviour would exacerbate your condition.

I wouldn't recommend Protector Line. In my experience they are of extremely limited use, to put it politely. Speak to your USDAW rep and start the process of a formal complaint under Dignity at Work. And, given the effect it might be having on your preexisting conditions, perhaps Health and Safety as well.

Unfortunately, this type of bully has to learn the hard way their behaviour will have adverse consequences for themselves. You can't appeal to their better nature; they don't have one.
« Last Edit: 09-05-18, 01:17PM by VladPutin »

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 09-05-18, 11:49PM »
Some paint stripper thrown over the bully’s new car was one way of sorting one in my store.

miriam

« Reply #13 on: 10-05-18, 04:02PM »
Hi

I'm on a return to work after 10 weeks off due to stress issues in workplace.  If a witness is not prepared to say what they witnessed what can I do ?

please help its got really bad for me.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 10-05-18, 06:19PM »
Hi miriam

Did the witness give any statement, either verbally or written to anyone before??

If not, then you can't force someone to say what they may have witnessed if they don't want to. If yes, then to retract a statement could backfire on them.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

miriam

« Reply #15 on: 10-05-18, 09:39PM »
Hi
Yes verbally to a team leader, she said she likes the person and she does not wish to be involved she wont speak up either.  Team leader said I need to get her to behave inappropriately in front of another person.

I've had many years at tesco with being victimised, I've had it.  I have bills to pay and I'm finding it difficult to find another job.  Section manager said she can't make people like me.  My manager has said so many negative things about me.

Thank you for replies.

miriam

« Reply #16 on: 10-05-18, 11:07PM »
Can someone plz tell me how the sick pay is worked out
thanku

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 11-05-18, 08:35AM »
miriam

Sit down with a rep and go through what's been going on, as it all sound a bit like a witchunt here ??? A T/L, who won't act on a colleagues behalf, after a witness has collaborated the incident taking place ??? Section manager aware there is a problem ???

I take it you had your return to work, was any of this alleged intimidation noted in the meeting as contributing to your absence? Was there a rep present?? Did they do a support plan??

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 11-05-18, 10:24AM »
Hi
Yes verbally to a team leader, she said she likes the person and she does not wish to be involved she wont speak up either.  Team leader said I need to get her to behave inappropriately in front of another person.

I've had many years at tesco with being victimised, I've had it.  I have bills to pay and I'm finding it difficult to find another job.  Section manager said she can't make people like me.  My manager has said so many negative things about me.

Thank you for replies.

Company wide the Team managers are like this.  They cannot seem to help themselves spreading people’s private and confidential business about the store.  Tell them nothing or a lot of nonsense so that the people who really know you can have a good laugh.  They would be the first to complain if you did the same to them. Why put up with the behaviour is there not someone higher up you can go to who is not sh**ging the other off.

Samantha

« Reply #19 on: 11-05-18, 12:46PM »
Something really need to be done across the stores to tackle intimidation and bullying at work. Maybe we need training now and again to remind us that this behaviour is unacceptable and it affects people's mind mentally and emotionally.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 11-05-18, 07:33PM »
That's like trying  to get blood from a stone. It's not going to change,  retail (and Tesco for the matter) will only get worse. I can only say find a way out, I know it's easier said than done, but believe me you'll be relieved when you out of it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

miriam

« Reply #21 on: 12-05-18, 08:40AM »
Thank you everyone.  I've got in touch with a rep before found out they work on behalf of company.  I have found a new rep who no longer works in store.  Moving forward I'll be in touch face to face with him soon to make a statement.

To update on my return to work.  It went from bad to worse yesterday, I thought my notebook would be empty I was sooooo wrong.

StayCation01

« Reply #22 on: 13-05-18, 10:36PM »
Thanks for the replies, I left and am looking for a new job which at 52 ain't going to be easy.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #23 on: 17-07-18, 10:24PM »
Something really need to be done across the stores to tackle intimidation and bullying at work. Maybe we need training now and again to remind us that this behaviour is unacceptable and it affects people's mind mentally and emotionally.

I've heard a store manager tell someone, who was bringing up a valid issue complaint, that if they dont like it they can leave. They view GA's as numbers and easily replaceable. All managers will s*** on you no matter how long the service you have given.

Call me

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 17-07-18, 11:47PM »
Please report to your store manager . If you get no joy please please ring the protector line , they have got to do something about it they will do something I assure you with past experience me to was bullied we got rid of the said manager .