Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-18, 06:28PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 6027
  • Latest: Marie
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81053
  • Total Topics: 1707
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Disciplinary Processes  (Read 11544 times)

baldeagle

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Re: Disciplinary Processes
« Reply #50 on: 17-05-18, 04:44PM »
Duracell.Thanks for muddying the water.Yes your comments are correct but the information I have put forward I have done so in the expectation that Tescos employees will use it.  Before the introduction of CCTV an impact assessment of the nature of the reasoning for the use of the system is required.  In this case performance monitoring is out.  Yes retrospective viewing is used but can only be used for the reasons laid out.  I am sure you and I know the implications of the act, but I'm sure managers misuse the system due to Ignorance or arrogance. " The notion that if an individual is acting suspiciously that they can't be monitored live on CCTV and if they are it is inadmissible is a bit of a Nonsense." This is correct but you must have a valid reason to believe wrong doing otherwise its wrong to view it.  The changes to the act will have major implications to employers but I doubt your average manager will have a clue.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #51 on: 17-05-18, 06:26PM »
Someone who works at our DC should have picked a certain number of products but decided to only put a few in. As it was expensive stuff the store asked for it to be looked into. The DC worker was seen putting only 5 in the cage instead of 25 by CCTV. Is this allowed?

At a site that pays a performance bonus, then yes because they have defrauded the company, which technically is theft, if that act can be shown to be deliberate. The viewing of CCTV would have to be in retrospect, the issue raised and then they refer back to CCTV after the event for evidence.

This type of Viewing can often be common place and justified, particularly in the defence of individuals.

I am not sure of the precise wording but the CCTV signs and policy implies the CCTV is for misappropriation of property and the safety of Staff visitors and customers which can encompass a lot of actions and behaviours.

So dependant on the incident the CCTV can and is viewed retrospectively when the incident is being investigated.

Conduct issues dependant on the nature, can fall broadly within the policy so it isn’t black and white.

We aren't on a bonus. T*sco didn't really lose any money as it was still in their warehouse. I'd have thought it might have come under a conduct issue. Can CCTV be used for that?

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #52 on: 17-05-18, 06:41PM »
We have it looked at for people being late, people going for a fag when they shouldn't be, people having a long break or anything the managers want to look at it for.

I have complained, I have shown them the policy but it changes nothing, How would you suggest I take this forward if and when it happens again.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #53 on: 17-05-18, 07:04PM »
Why would anyone be against someone being taken aside for Taking extra breaks ? leaving the building to have extra Fag breaks, using the phone when they should not be, sitting around doing nothing, all in all for doing things they should not be, after all do we want to work with those that do less so others end up doing more ?

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #54 on: 17-05-18, 07:12PM »
You are not grasping what we are talking about are you, Its not about the extra breaks its about using something they are not supposed to use. Its against company policy it specifically states it wont be used for any of that.

Now if you are not worried cool good for you but when a manager takes against you because you didnt push on their belly hard enough to expunge the crud whilst they were logging one out and they start to log your movements you may think differently.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #55 on: 17-05-18, 07:26PM »
forrestgimp, unfortunately there are some persons that believe that those of a certain work level should be 'jumped on' if they transgress, but those of a higher level should not be.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #56 on: 17-05-18, 08:01PM »
@Nomad.....Spot on. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: MM have been warned about using CCTV for all sorts of things in my store almost all of which are against company policy and Data Protection law. Hopefully one day soon a ton of sh*t will be coming there way. ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #57 on: 17-05-18, 08:05PM »
You are not grasping what we are talking about are you, Its not about the extra breaks its about using something they are not supposed to use. Its against company policy it specifically states it wont be used for any of that.

Now if you are not worried cool good for you but when a manager takes against you because you didnt push on their belly hard enough to expunge the crud whilst they were logging one out and they start to log your movements you may think differently.

Fair point and I give way on a your point in regards to a manager login your movements  ,in regards to when you are working,

But still hold that if its over someone coming in late . login in for someone, taking fag breaks I would not have no problems in them looking at such CCTV so long as it was done so for every one , having said that also cant see why i would need to be upset over them looking at cctv of me taking a fag break when not on my break, if I break the rules i should understand whats coming ,regardless of when I was a troly boy or what ever roll i held ,

« Last Edit: 17-05-18, 08:12PM by notsofunny »

cupcake29

« Reply #58 on: 17-05-18, 10:41PM »
Some managers can be bias though can't they?   Let's face it, some staff are going to be difficult or expensive to get rid of, so some misguided and draconian managers could be desperately looking for anything incriminating.  The laws on cctv are there to protect staff.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #59 on: 18-05-18, 07:32AM »
Where does it stop, they use the cctv to check your breaks or to check how often you go to the toilet an for how long, then they start checking it for how long it took you to work a cage oh and you seemed to talk to a colleague for at least 2 mins did you realise that.

All a bit 1984 isn't it and it is specifically against what the cctv was installed for and completely against company policy.

If the company intend to repurpose the cctv from a security and theft perspective to a staff eye in the sky then they would need to at the very least make people aware.

The fact that you are ok with it is neither here nor there it is currently against policy and some here say its against other unspecified rules. So managers should not be doing it regardless.

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #60 on: 18-05-18, 10:19AM »
If you think your store is monitoring the staff against policy and guidelines, and do not feel comfortable putting a grievance in then report to:

Information Commissioner's Office (England, Wales and Scotland)
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF

Helpline: 0303 123 1113 (Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 4.30pm)
Tel: 01625 545 745
Fax: 01625 524 510
Email: casework@ico.org.uk

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #61 on: 18-05-18, 12:29PM »
People seem to care yet they are not prepared to write to the above or go down the grievance route in store. They have no right to moan IMO.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #62 on: 18-05-18, 12:59PM »
Have you ever put in a grievence against a manager? I have and regardless of you being right it's incredibly stressful and mine was back when there was a personnel manager to go to with it.

Its not something to go into lightly or on a whim you need evidence of what you say is happening which when it's a locked room an people hunched over a screen watching cctv is not an easy thing to get.

Telling people that unless they are willing to become a whistle-blower they have no right to moan is egregious to say the least.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #63 on: 18-05-18, 02:03PM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

I have never had to put in any grievance and have had many issues resolved usually the threat is enough when you have evidence. If you care that much why wouldn’t you whistleblow. “Stressful” Do you expect people to be your best mate after you have complained about them.
« Last Edit: 18-05-18, 07:51PM by tumshie »

Bleh

• Know All
« Reply #64 on: 19-05-18, 07:53AM »
Strangely cctv signage is to change within the next few weeks to say it can be used to investigate breach of policies and grievances. Just seen the comms regarding this.

baldeagle

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #65 on: 19-05-18, 03:25PM »
As Donald would say "fake news"

madness

• Know All
« Reply #66 on: 19-05-18, 05:16PM »
Not fake news. Cctv will be used for staff monitoring. Do nothing wrong you have nothing to hide.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #67 on: 19-05-18, 08:27PM »
Not any kind of news you have always been watched when working.

forrestgimp

• Smart Arse
« Reply #68 on: 19-05-18, 10:16PM »
I have never had to put in any grievance and have had many issues resolved usually the threat is enough when you have evidence. If you care that much why wouldn’t you whistleblow. “Stressful” Do you expect people to be your best mate after you have complained about them.

You are an odd type of person, almost managerial in what you say.

Bleh

• Know All
« Reply #69 on: 19-05-18, 10:39PM »
As Donald would say "fake news"
Let’s see what happens, I guarantee it’s coming in. Piece of advice I wouldn’t run your mouth on things you know nothing about.

patty1

« Reply #70 on: 19-05-18, 11:17PM »
Our store has a new sign up saying that cctv can be used to monitor staff for breaches of company policy and for grievances.  Not noticed it before.

baldeagle

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #71 on: 20-05-18, 08:12AM »
Bleh. Thanks for the advise, I won't post on here again.  And I do know what I'm talking about.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #72 on: 20-05-18, 08:20AM »

You are an odd type of person, almost managerial in what you say

:question:

AmberWolf

« Reply #73 on: 20-05-18, 09:03AM »
patty1 - that self same sign went up in my store too. I'll try and inquire (discreetly) on the managers official take on it is
« Last Edit: 20-05-18, 09:04AM by AmberWolf »

Bleh

• Know All
« Reply #74 on: 20-05-18, 10:41AM »
It’s changed under the new data laws. Assuming they are aware that managers do it and don’t want to face the new higher fines should it be proven.