Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-10-18, 08:15AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81178
  • Total Topics: 1710
  • Online Today: 108
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 73
Total: 76

Author Topic: Dot com ‘rules’  (Read 20946 times)

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Dot com ‘rules’
« Reply #100 on: 10-08-18, 04:23PM »
PSV rules are different,  even when it's the little mini buses.

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #101 on: 11-08-18, 03:40AM »
Couple of questions regarding new driving hours.
1. Can you be contracted to work 6 says a week? (Not 6 full days but some full & some part).

2. They're asking me to drive afternoon & evening shifts ie 1.15pm til 9.30pm ish. Is this allowed as quite often, by the time you get back from the afternoon run & load up again for the evening it's time to leave therefore not having any breaks.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #102 on: 11-08-18, 09:06AM »
I was originally contracted to do an afternoon / evening shift many years ago but that was changed and I was told it was not allowed.  As you say, unless you get routes with an early afternoon finish and / or late evening start and / or someone else to turn your van around then you will not get your proper break.  I did one of these yesterday as a stop gap to the current situation but my TL turned my van round while I went for a break.  The other issue is that is an hour shorter than a normal full day shift so you will be paid less.  For me, it is OK as an occasional one off such as helping out a colleague with a shift swap but a big No-No as a regular contracted shift.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #103 on: 11-08-18, 01:34PM »
It's not a rolling 24 hours, it's from when you start. You start at 13.00 and it finishes at 13.00 the following day.
Just seen it explained in a handy, easy to remember way:  You can only working 11 hours in the 24 hours following the start of any shift.  In practise this means that if you work an evening then you can only work the morning or the afternoon of the next day (although you many then work the evening as well).

ZyDer

« Reply #104 on: 11-08-18, 10:46PM »
Sorting this out is called "Pandora"

Pandora had a jar containing all manner of misery and evil.

Why isn't dot com called "Pandora"?

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #105 on: 12-08-18, 12:47AM »
Right, so today I have been informed that all drivers concerned will be put into consultation and their hours will be changed "to suit the business".
So I have a question.
Do full time contracted drivers have priority over flexi contract drivers when it comes to change of days/hours in this situation?
 Our manager prefers the new drivers and most of the time will only talk to them and ignore us and we have a bad feeling that she will use this to fill Sunday and Sat*rday evening shifts with us and give them the more socialable shifts.

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #106 on: 12-08-18, 08:29AM »
Think someone's pulling the wool over your eyes. Our manager & TL are sitting down with affected colleagues to try & work out the best hours to suit us both & not just the business. They have done a rough Rota & sitting down with us to ask our opinion. If we don't agree they change it!!

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #107 on: 12-08-18, 09:05AM »
Seems to have been sorted amicably by agreement here.  I have had one minor adjustment to my shift pattern, swapping a day shift and an evening shift between two consecutive days and which actually I prefer.  Not heard any anyone else beefing about any changes they have been asked to make but early days and sometimes it is hard to tell with some people whose default setting is miserable.

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #108 on: 12-08-18, 10:28AM »
Problem with our manager is that they have no real interest  in the drivers. They were a compliance manager and they have no idea about the job. The only interest they have is in making themselves look good to senior team.

Roadrunner69

« Reply #109 on: 12-08-18, 02:44PM »
Sorting this out is called "Pandora"

Pandora had a jar containing all manner of misery and evil.

Why isn't dot com called "Pandora"?

Because when all else had flown all that was left at the bottom of Pandora's box was hope. I don't see much of that at any dot com these days.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #110 on: 12-08-18, 05:53PM »
Oh there's plenty of 'hope' at Tesco, it's our word for 'deceptive expectation' which incidentally is the classical interpretation of what was left in Pandora's box ;)

cddriver

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #111 on: 12-08-18, 08:40PM »
I think our manager and team support have misunderstood (or have I?). Our shifts are either 6pm-10pm or 8.30am-6.30pm and I do a late onto an early twice a week. We are now being told to finish at 9pm instead of 10pm (doesn't actually happen since the vans aren't due back until closer to 10pm anyway) and then we are OK to do work the next morning. Is this wrong as it's not about the rest period?
« Last Edit: 12-08-18, 08:44PM by cddriver »

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #112 on: 12-08-18, 09:12PM »
Yeah completely wrong. If you do 6-9 in the evening that's 3 hours. 8:30-6:30 The following day is 10 hours 9 of which is drive time. That's still 12 hours driving in a 24 hour period. Only allowed to do 10. You are in the same position as me. Top & bottom of it is if you work the evening shift you cannot work the full day after. You could do the morning or afternoon run but not both. Problem is the management & tl's don't seem to have a clue how it works!!

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #113 on: 12-08-18, 09:31PM »
I think our manager and team support have misunderstood (or have I?). Our shifts are either 6pm-10pm or 8.30am-6.30pm and I do a late onto an early twice a week. We are now being told to finish at 9pm instead of 10pm (doesn't actually happen since the vans aren't due back until closer to 10pm anyway) and then we are OK to do work the next morning. Is this wrong as it's not about the rest period?
In any properly run company every store would have received a comm from the highest level stating what hours the drivers could work and also stating that these hours must be followed to the letter of the law...unfortunately we work for Tosco and they make the rules up as they go along. :-\ :-X :-X
The worlds me lobster

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #114 on: 12-08-18, 10:44PM »
In any properly run company every store would have received a comm from the highest level stating what hours the drivers could work
They supposedly got exactly this early one day last week to clarify the exact legal position but it seems too early in the morning for many of them to take in.

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #115 on: 12-08-18, 11:27PM »
If you are starting at 18.00 in the evening, until 18.00 the next day you are allowed to work 11 hours total and a maximum of 10 hours driving. And also within that 24 hour period they have to ensure that you have an adequate rest period.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #116 on: 13-08-18, 10:14AM »
Who decides what is "adequate" ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #117 on: 13-08-18, 02:26PM »
The law does.  11 hours minimum is the basic rule.

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #118 on: 13-08-18, 05:45PM »
In any properly run company every store would have received a comm from the highest level stating what hours the drivers could work
They supposedly got exactly this early one day last week to clarify the exact legal position but it seems too early in the morning for many of them to take in.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The worlds me lobster

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #119 on: 13-08-18, 08:05PM »
I still am seeing runs being given out to drivers which breach these rules (1 example, 18:00-22:00 shift, given short run but last drop at 20:00, and due back in work next day at 8:00  am) even after their meeting about this whole issue and sm's reassurances that no one will be asked to work illegally
DFL

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #120 on: 13-08-18, 08:39PM »
Same in my store. We've been told we won't lose hours or money but they are clueless on how to work the Rotas. Lots of drivers still working 12 hours in 24 hour periods!

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #121 on: 13-08-18, 09:15PM »
And now we've all been made aware of law we should be reporting it, HSE ?
DFL

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #122 on: 13-08-18, 09:54PM »
Just whistleblow to DVLA and VOSA. They would love to take a big company down and put in it's place.

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #123 on: 14-08-18, 07:32AM »
If you are given new shifts by your TL that still break the law e.g. more than 10hrs driving in a 24hr period , should you refuse & say no? If you do drive would the blame be on yourself for accepting to do it?

cddriver

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #124 on: 14-08-18, 01:25PM »
Our manager reckons we’ve been given until 30th sept to be legal. I’m guessing this is a load of rubbish since it’s been the law for years?