Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
06-12-19, 01:18PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62732
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 90
Total: 94

Author Topic: Shift Turn around time  (Read 6276 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Shift Turn around time
« on: 30-03-18, 07:14AM »
Hi does anyone know what the minimum time between shifts is for Dotcom drivers, eggs drivers finishing at 11pm to be on an 8am shift next morning ? I've seen drivers running late or had van breakdown and not get away from store till midnight and yet be out 8am next morning too.?

Thanks
DFL

fatboy

• Know All
Re: Shift Turn around time
« Reply #1 on: 30-03-18, 08:20AM »
Hi. You should have a clear 10 hours between shifts so if you work the 7-11 evening shift you can't drive the following day until 9am.

Dorothy C

« Reply #2 on: 30-03-18, 08:39AM »

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 30-03-18, 12:12PM »
From your link

Daily driving

In any working day the maximum amount of driving permitted is 10 hours. The daily driving limit applies to driving on and off the public road. Off-road driving for the purposes of agriculture, quarrying, forestry, building work or civil engineering counts as duty rather than driving time.

Day: The day is the 24-hour period beginning with the start of duty time.

From which I infer that any evening shift followed by a full day shift is not allowed.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

FarmerFred

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 30-03-18, 03:45PM »
https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/gb-domestic-rules
Under Daily Rest Periods - 10 hours break between duties, but can be reduced to 8.5 hours up to three times a week.

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 30-03-18, 09:13PM »
From your link

Daily driving

In any working day the maximum amount of driving permitted is 10 hours. The daily driving limit applies to driving on and off the public road. Off-road driving for the purposes of agriculture, quarrying, forestry, building work or civil engineering counts as duty rather than driving time.

From which I infer that any evening shift followed by a full day shift is not allowed.

This is wrong as refers to vehicles with a gvw of over 3.5t. Wtd are the only rules that apply to 3.5t vans.

allyjohn

« Reply #6 on: 30-03-18, 11:00PM »
The above is wrong, these GB Domestic Rules etc are for HGV & PSV Drivers.  There should be a minimum of 11 between shifts.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 30-03-18, 11:02PM »
From your link

Daily driving

This is wrong as refers to vehicles with a gvw of over 3.5t. Wtd are the only rules that apply to 3.5t vans.
Ta.  I thought I must be reading it wrong.  Which only confirms my conviction that the information is not presented in an easily understandable way.

FarmerFred

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 31-03-18, 09:38AM »
The above is wrong, these GB Domestic Rules etc are for HGV & PSV Drivers.  There should be a minimum of 11 between shifts.
GB domestic rules apply to vehicles under 3.5t, over 3.5t will typically fall under EU/AETR rules. This article may help https://app.croneri.co.uk/feature-articles/drivers-hours-and-rest-periods?product=33

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 31-03-18, 05:00PM »
Eu rules apply to anything over 3.5 tonnes.

GB domestic rules apply to anything 3.5 tonnes and below.
There is no daily rest break for goods vehicles, that section is for passenger vehicles not vans.
There is no daily rest limit, instead you are governed by duty limit.

Duty starts at the time you clock in to work, and lasts 24 hours.
You may work for 11 of those 24 hours, and drive for 10 of this 11.

So if you start at 12 midday, and work until 11 with a 1 hour break you have 10 hours of duty, and likely around d 9 of those driving.

Until midday the next day you may only work 1 more hour, so you should never work three waves in a row.

Resting does NOT reset these driving hours as you're not driving a passenger vehicle.

I've watched a union rep explain this to a manager and they just don't care.
I know for a fact that my old dotcom breaks these rules with regularity, protect yourself and don't break the rules, and record your hours of driving yourself.

daveyp

« Reply #10 on: 26-05-18, 07:32PM »
Can you link to where this is said on a government website please?

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 26-05-18, 10:29PM »

There is no daily rest break for goods vehicles, that section is for passenger vehicles not vans.

So if you start at 12 midday, and work until 11 with a 1 hour break you have 10 hours of duty, and likely around d 9 of those driving.

Until midday the next day you may only work 1 more hour, so you should never work three waves in a row.
This would mean that it is never legal to drive an evening shift followed by a day shift the next day?

Dorothy C

« Reply #12 on: 07-08-18, 08:42PM »

This would mean that it is never legal to drive an evening shift followed by a day shift the next day?

Well the sh**s hit the fan today. Evening drivers who are in tonight and back in tomorrow can only work 2 hours tonight and then 9 hours tomorrow. I only know of a few stores around me have gone down this route but I imagine it must be nationwide. I wonder how this illegal practice has gone unnoticed, how it was suddenly discovered and what major f*** up caused it to be discovered? Surely some bodybags will be needed for those at the top.

It’s only me

« Reply #13 on: 08-08-18, 11:35AM »
Well we have been informed yesterday aswell that we have been driving illegally. I have been doing this for 13 years now so where has it come from.
Not happy because now everyone has to change shifts/ lose hours because they can’t alter shift patterns.

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 08-08-18, 11:44AM »
Funny as we've been told the shift patterns will be changing & our hours & pay will remain unchanged.

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 08-08-18, 12:15PM »
Interesting that a post on here explains the legality. In March.

Resting does NOT reset these driving hours as you're not driving a passenger vehicle.

I've watched a union rep explain this to a manager and they just don't care.
I know for a fact that my old dotcom breaks these rules with regularity, protect yourself and don't break the rules, and record your hours of driving yourself.

And Now it all changes and legal compliance kicks in!

I wonder if the person in legal compliance who read the above post then escalated the situation actually got a pat on the back, Got to be more than a coincidence, surely!.. not deserving obviously, that only comes with ensuring it didn’t happen in the first instance. 13 years at least.

They don’t make mistakes though !!!!
« Last Edit: 08-08-18, 12:19PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #16 on: 08-08-18, 01:48PM »
Dot com 'rules'

Administrator Comment This issue is being discussed in the above thread, as it is the older of the two threads this one is locked.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.