Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
06-12-19, 01:18PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62732
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 92
Total: 95

Author Topic: Heavy and unpractical addressees  (Read 9711 times)

Moonboy57

Heavy and unpractical addressees
« on: 26-03-18, 08:20PM »
Can anyone throw any light on this please?
I raised my concerns about a drop l had to my Lead Manager relating to the difficulty of getting to the customers door (parked cars and lots of steps) and 130 kg to deliver.
I was given another colleague to help me.
However, upon my return l was called into the office to explain myself and my actions. It was suggested l should just get on with it, it was my job, was l getting too old and was l fit enough?
I am going to suggest they do a Risk Assessment but I’m not going to hold my breath.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
Re: Heavy and unpractical addressees
« Reply #1 on: 26-03-18, 08:55PM »
in my opinion it's your lead you have to complain about for asking you to justify your actions. Hopefully he/she wont take offence at you asking them to do something I know mine would. Overpaid ar**h*les!

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 26-03-18, 09:29PM »
I had a drop of 24 cases of wine to a 3rd floor apartment (58 stairs).  It was 12 trips up and back down so total of 1392 stairs.

The drop took 40 mins & I was f****d when I'd finished, brought it to the attention of my manager when I returned & nothing got done, it just fell on deaf ears.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 27-03-18, 10:54AM »
fatboy

Tosco are so desperate for customers they are wasting money to get them.    >:(

Dontbelieveaword

« Reply #4 on: 27-03-18, 11:16AM »
Has anyone calculated how many businesses get a delivery per week our actual customers can't get a slot cause of the amount of businesses we deliver to.  I'm sure if they knew they would be upset something should be done

Dorothy C

« Reply #5 on: 27-03-18, 08:05PM »
It's a home delivery service. Deliver to the front door, or the main entrance to a block of flats. It's in the T  and C's. that the customer unwittingly signs when they book an order. Do the other Sainsburys of this world do it? Do they rubbish. Hence we have the market share of home delivery. Because we have mugs that can't think for themselves and are too spineless to stand up to the stripey shirts  Also f*** off any business , schools or anything like that. Are you feeling safe, do you think it is practical and  that is your judgement not their's. Don't do it if you are not happy
« Last Edit: 27-03-18, 08:17PM by Dorothy C »

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 27-03-18, 08:36PM »
I Squat 130kg for reps
40 single leg reps (alternating each leg) without bottoming out on each rep?
« Last Edit: 27-03-18, 08:40PM by gomezz »
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 27-03-18, 08:57PM »
Dynamic risk assessment.
The weight is too much to safely take up the stairs.
The stairs are not in my opinion fit to climb while carrying heavy crates.
I can't climb the stairs while carrying the trays and hold a handrail.
No parking within a practical distance.
These are all reasons drivers bought stuff back to our store.

Have you received the revised drivers handbook from 2 years ago, ours were never given out to drivers.

Its a joke, tesco are the only supermarket delivering to flats now, so get used to it, or work for the competition, who all pay more and don't go up stairs.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 27-03-18, 09:09PM »
Just tell your manager why you didn't make the delivery. If he/she has a problem with it tell them to do it them self. I was once told to clean half eaten fruit from the shelf and did just that. Funny they tell you to work harder and quicker and they aren't prepared to do same.

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 28-03-18, 03:36AM »
It makes me wonder how people got shopping home if they lived in flats before home shopping started. If it's too hard for a person who is hired and paid to do the job of taking the shopping to the door then it's obviously too hard for the resident. They must starve

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 28-03-18, 07:32PM »
Probably by not carrying month's worth of shopping up to their flat all in one go.  I have suggested in the past that flat dwellers be encouraged to order little and often.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 31-03-18, 05:06PM »
Try carrying 300 kg of water up 7 flights of stairs in 6 minutes and see the problem yourself, these customers would never buy things the way they do if they had to carry it up.
Why should at customer get and hour of to e when the guy down the road is paying the same amount for a 35 kg delivery to the group floor, perhaps if they were charged for the effort delivery takes your argument might have merit.

Tikoloshe

« Reply #12 on: 10-12-18, 11:52AM »
Delivery T&C's breh

Although I share the pain of management upping the runs while ignoring complaints. Revolving door policy on drivers instead of fixing actual problems.

We will deliver your order to the main entrance of the delivery address. At your request, our driver may carry your order into the delivery address, for example, to a particular floor in an apartment block or into your kitchen but only if: a. the driver has your permission and b. our driver believes that it is safe and practical to do as you request. We always reserve the right to deliver only to the main entrance of the delivery address.

Thespecialone

« Reply #13 on: 10-12-18, 12:57PM »
I’ve been a dotcom driver,

Yes you rarely get big 300kg drops and some trips are tough, but you also get very easy runs where you can sit back relax and enjoy a time gap between drops.

Swings and roundabouts mate.

Get over it

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #14 on: 10-12-18, 01:14PM »
Roundabouts  AND SWINGS?? Think you may need a new Satnav!!  ;)

AmazingWizard

« Reply #15 on: 11-12-18, 01:24PM »
I had a 450kg run around the city, 13 drops. 11 of them were top floor flats. 1 house at 40kg and 1 highrise with a lift at 20kg. Not the heaviest I've done by far but certainly one of the worst nights. Don't even think my 800kg runs were bad. I was dead after it and back about 20mins late.

And in terms of unpractical, there's a specific one way street, lined with cars on one side and a thin path on the other. The road is used as a thoroughfare to avoid 2 busy junctions. I had 2 options, either block the road, which wouldn't have gone well, or park as far to the right and unload into the road and have my back to traffic. As I unloaded a 3,1,1 order 13 cars past, with 2 slowing down. On the reload of the crates, 4 cars went past in 30 seconds. Told the manager, but so far haven't heard anything back about reviewing addresses.

Tambrath

« Reply #16 on: 11-12-18, 10:39PM »
I’ve been a dotcom driver,

Yes you rarely get big 300kg drops and some trips are tough, but you also get very easy runs where you can sit back relax and enjoy a time gap between drops.

Swings and roundabouts mate.

Get over it
Easy runs and time gaps bumblebee saw that went out ages ago , now you don’t get enough time . And it the one you carry it up all those stairs and the still ask can you put it in the kitchen

NewDotComDriver

« Reply #17 on: 23-01-19, 11:51AM »
We have a big university in our town and the students LOVE to order 60+ 2litre bottles of water. It is our "official" stance that we do not leave the van when on campus so the students have to come out and collect.

As for the others, I know of drivers who preach the T&C's about delivering to the front door of the flats- I personally am able to take 6 trays up stairs 2 at a time, leave at the front door and say im going to collect the rest whilst they unpack and I'm gone before any sort of debate begins about where the shoppings going.

I am stubborn, but not enough to get the customer to come and collect, take 1 tray at a time and put my run out by 20 minutes when i can get them up in 1/4 of the time. in my opinion that's basically cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Its a very physical job at times - I've had 36 trays of booze for a local club down a set of stairs that's taken 40 mins etc. but I came to terms with that on day 1. It is what it is and the option to work on checkouts is there if lifting isn't your thing.

On a side note (AmazingWizard) - The tight roads with through traffic - I had a similar situation last night and it did cross my mind that I might meet my maker one day unloading the van because the only option is to do it with the shutter roadside with cars passing at speed.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 23-01-19, 10:39PM »
I Squat 130kg for reps
40 single leg reps (alternating each leg) without bottoming out on each rep?

Unless you're hitting parallel with every step, it's not a rep. ;)

PlugSocket

« Reply #19 on: 26-08-19, 09:52AM »
Where would drivers stand if access to a property was difficult due to steep steps or slopes? Obviously the T&Cs state we deliver to the main entrance, but surely we shouldn't be risking injury to get to the customer?

blueberet

« Reply #20 on: 26-08-19, 11:08AM »
You've probably got no where to stand.

If it is really that bad you should be able to get your manager to go to the address to assess the h&s of the drop, most likely you'll have to be very persistent though.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Last Edit: 26-08-19, 07:01PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

BMW-E90

« Reply #22 on: 25-09-19, 02:17PM »
Where would drivers stand if access to a property was difficult due to steep steps or slopes? Obviously the T&Cs state we deliver to the main entrance, but surely we shouldn't be risking injury to get to the customer?

I need clarification on the T&C's do we deliver to the internal door of a block and up stairs with no lift?