Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
27-01-20, 03:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8815
  • Latest: Baked
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63760
  • Total Topics: 1131
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 37
Total: 40

Author Topic: Break issues  (Read 65372 times)

the-vortex

• Sad Muppet
Re: Break issues
« Reply #150 on: 12-06-15, 11:44PM »
Surely if you clock off/on for a 15 minute break won't it automatically become unpaid?  Don't do it, stick to the 30 minutes rule as stated above (I was told it was 20 minutes or longer but , no matter)
Loyalty is a one-way street!

burns2015

« Reply #151 on: 13-06-15, 12:15AM »
would just flag up on daily exceptions reports. Normally a store would only use this if it has issue with multiple staff taking more than allocated time. ( We have just moved onto HRAM in Express and that question was asked and that was the answer which came back from the HR Team.

mephisto

« Reply #152 on: 13-06-15, 03:17AM »
You  should clock out for breaks 30 mins and over. Attached fully policy.

What is the exact reference of this "policy"?
« Last Edit: 13-06-15, 03:21AM by mephisto »

burns2015

« Reply #153 on: 13-06-15, 09:37AM »
what do mean reference? This is the form which an employee signs.Its on sharepoint in people policies for HRAM

mephisto

« Reply #154 on: 13-06-15, 09:43AM »
I can tell you that no one at our store has signed any such document and that there is no reference within the staff handbook or Policies For Our People pertaining to any such document. It would be of benefit to others if you could post a reference point or attach the document itself.

burns2015

« Reply #155 on: 13-06-15, 11:22AM »
mephisto do you think everything is in handbook.... there is numerous forms out there. I am just posting what was sent to us by the HRAM team as we have just went live on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 13-06-15, 11:25AM by burns2015 »

mephisto

« Reply #156 on: 13-06-15, 12:06PM »
In response to your original unedited post, Why so sensitive? No offence was intended.

There are indeed many documents and forms for employees to sign. However, such forms are referred to within policy, whether it be SYA, PFOP or even the staff handbook.

This form has not.

The fact that your store has only just been placed on HRAM may explain the document being "produced". However...

Is it reasonable for employees to be asked to sign a document that has not been referred to via any of the aforementioned policies/terms and conditions?

Is it reasonable for employees to be asked to sign a document that is nonsensical with regards to having to clock in and out for breaks of 30 minutes and above?

Is it reasonable for employees to be asked to sign a document that requires one to clock in and out of breaks of 30 minutes or more when ones contractual break entitlement is already automatically docked?

I think not.

Unless this has been officially communicated nationally via the appropriate communication channels, including Usdaw being notified and passed on to reps, then I would suggest this as being an unreasonable request.

burns2015

« Reply #157 on: 13-06-15, 01:03PM »
So mephisto  the smoking in the workplace document which requires to be signed is not in any of these nor is the Selling of Alcohol for Scottish employees letter which staff are required to sign ( Scottish colleagues) these are just a couple of examples.

I only posted this because someone asked about 30 minute breaks.

I could not give Sh@t if we clock out for our breaks or not.

Have a nice weekend and keep enjoying spouting the staff handbook which you probably keep under your pillow.

mephisto

« Reply #158 on: 13-06-15, 02:04PM »
Smoking in the workplace is covered within PFOP.

Clocking in and out for breaks of more than 30 minutes is not.

Read my previous post again and then maybe, just maybe, you will understand the point being made.

Not everyone will accept what management produce without first checking its legitimacy/reasonableness.

queenscorgie

« Reply #159 on: 14-09-15, 01:45AM »
I HAVE READ ON THE HELPFULL HINTS AT TOP OF EACH PAGE THAT IF YOU ARE ON AN HOURS BREAK AND ARE ASKED TO TIP OR ANYTHING ELSE SAY 55MINS INTO BREAK SO 5 MINS LEFT IF YOU AGREE TO TIP THEN YOUR BREAK TIME OF AN HOUR IS RESET SO YOU STILL GET YOUR FULL HOUR .

Administrator Comment Upper case is considered SHOUTING, please refrain from doing so. Nomad

Iron Giant

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #160 on: 14-09-15, 07:21AM »
If you make mm aware that you have 5 mins of your break left and that if you tip the wagon you will be resetting you break most managers will just say just finish your break.

If you were to surreptitiously tip the wagon then have another hour on top of the original fifty five minutes that would probably be seen as a bit of a dick move.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

DairyMaid

« Reply #161 on: 18-10-15, 06:11PM »
Sorry guys, my experience with the union is not good.  Union reps going at ILLEGAL lengths to protect friends and relations including theft.

Regional union members promising to support store with problem union reps then going back on agreements.

Always go to most senior, experienced, honest manager.  They will support you as long there is trust.
Plenty of SENIOR managers, plenty of EXPERIENCED managers , HONEST ? All pigs re fuelled and ready for take off.

The Kid

« Reply #162 on: 23-10-15, 09:32AM »
Hi  :)

could anyone tell me where I can find the source of information regarding interrupted breaks policy please?

Regards  :thumbup:

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #163 on: 23-10-15, 10:02AM »
If your contract says you are entitled to a 30 or 45 minute break then that is what your entitled to.  It does not say breaks totalling 30 or 45 minutes.

It has no need to be elsewhere it is already in black & white.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #164 on: 23-10-15, 11:12AM »
Out on a limb here, but when my backdoor colleague is on a break and a wagon arrives, as a manager I do 1 of 2 things, a, leave him outside the gates as normally I'm running the shop solo so can't do much else and leave the bd ga on his/her break as its not right or fair to interrupt. or b, I tip it myself its not difficult and to be honest by the time the wagon is on the bay parked and straight the colleague is back. I don't get why managers find this difficult......

The Kid

« Reply #165 on: 23-10-15, 07:43PM »
If your contract says you are entitled to a 30 or 45 minute break then that is what your entitled to.  It does not say breaks totalling 30 or 45 minutes.

It has no need to be elsewhere it is already in black & white.

What is the best possible way to explain this to them as i contested the other day when they staff searched me the other day while I was on my break. I said "did you know that I can have my break from the start again because you have interupted it" to which they simply replied "No you cant" .. Is this company policy? they asked further and then told me they had been a manager for 14 years blah blah. They was saying I can have the minutes back that it takes to perform the search (which I suppose is fair enough), but they still interrupted my break : (

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #166 on: 23-10-15, 08:28PM »
As per my post that you have quoted.  If they do not allow you your uninterrupted 30 or 45 minute break they are breaking your employment contract.

e.g. 20 mins + 10 mins is NOT a 30 minute break.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

The Kid

« Reply #167 on: 23-10-15, 08:43PM »
I see.. so there is no actual writing to state this is there.. What you are saying is because the handbook states that you are 'entitled' to your breaks.. any interuption by means of any type of requests is breaking your break? Who would determine you could reset it though : /

I am only saying it as to them it does sound like somebodys made up rule and that you are just being 'unreasonable' .. coulod we not argue that they are being unreasonable by interupting our breaks?

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #168 on: 23-10-15, 08:51PM »
30 or 45 minutes break is not 20+10 or any thing else.

As the breaks are unpaid they have no right to ask expect you to do anything, in those periods your not even working for the company.

I'm sorry I can't make it any clearer, a break of x minutes is not the same as breaks of y and z minutes.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #169 on: 23-10-15, 08:56PM »
you could bring a greivance under contractual terms, make it a formal greivance and when asked what you would like the outcome of the grevance to be, just say you would like the manager made aware of your contractual rights, so that such a 'misunderstanding' did not happen again. :thumbup:
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #170 on: 23-10-15, 09:14PM »
I see.. so there is no actual writing to state this is there.. What you are saying is because the handbook states that you are 'entitled' to your breaks.. any interuption by means of any type of requests is breaking your break? Who would determine you could reset it though : /

I am only saying it as to them it does sound like somebodys made up rule and that you are just being 'unreasonable' .. coulod we not argue that they are being unreasonable by interupting our breaks?

This is Drastic Daves brave new world we are living in now, yet another manager who could do with re-training in a Tesco values kind of way. ;) ;) ;)
The worlds me lobster

The Kid

« Reply #171 on: 23-10-15, 10:23PM »
Thanks for your input everyone : ) ... can you elaborate @ mexicopete?

The Kid

« Reply #172 on: 23-10-15, 11:19PM »
I would like to add that if anyone is on their break would they be officially classed as off duty?

Therefore, would it be reasonable to say that if I was asked to comply to a staff search I could contest by stating that I on my break and not on duty so I would like to be treated as any other customer (I was actually at the tills when they approached me)and I could ask them is there reasonable grounds to stop and search me as I am sure that they couldnt just say that to a customer.. "excuse me love, we are just randomly searching people" .. that kind of thing.

What is your view on this twist? Would it stand up or would they just say "you are an employee on the premises" blah blah

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #173 on: 24-10-15, 04:34AM »
If you are on a break, you are therefore in you own time and not subject to any Tesco rules as such. If they demand a staff search and you agree, your break is reset to its original time ( ie 30mins etc).

Otherwise, your break time is classed as your own personal time, Tesco cannot make you do anything during this time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

AlexM

• Know All
« Reply #174 on: 24-10-15, 09:02AM »
Surely if you are on your break & at a till then you are paying for something & will have money on you, which you are entitled to have on your break but not in "work" time? What purpose would a staff search have in that circumstance?