Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
27-01-20, 03:00AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8815
  • Latest: Baked
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63760
  • Total Topics: 1131
  • Online Today: 119
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 30
Total: 32

Author Topic: Break issues  (Read 65369 times)

Guest6622

Re: Break issues
« Reply #125 on: 27-08-11, 07:54PM »
jeez cornflake, do you put that much effort in at work?

Sometimes but not very often.

omg really ?

« Reply #126 on: 23-09-11, 10:45PM »
raise a grievance get a company handbook ... you fitted with catheter's ??? or they make you carry a bucket round and a modesty curtain ... challenge collectively there is a policy around this ... they not heard we have a human rights policy .....................

Dickie Davies

« Reply #127 on: 15-10-11, 09:31PM »
Who's breaking the law? And no, I'm not a Tory!

laroc

« Reply #128 on: 17-02-13, 12:24AM »
I know what breaks I am due when I work my normal shift 8hrs, what confuses me is what happens when I do an overtime shift for 3 hours in another department and then go straight after that into my own department.

The confusing part is that If I worked in one department I would get the full allocated break, but if I work in different areas of the store they don't acknowledge the total number of hours worked and I'm told I am only entitled to a 15 min break for the 3hr shift and then 45 min for the 8hr shift giving me a total of 1 hr.  How can this be right when someone else could theoretically start work and finish at the same time in one department and be given the full 90min break.

Toxteth Times

« Reply #129 on: 17-02-13, 04:34AM »
Breaks are sacrosanct.   :d:

Sausage92

« Reply #130 on: 17-02-13, 09:10AM »
Laroc; i have had the same problems as you in the past;
I am told any shifts I do (when i pick up overtime) if they're over 9 hours, to clock out then back in after a minute or so. So treat the three hours seperately?

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #131 on: 17-02-13, 09:36AM »
if you are clocked in for the whole 11 hours, the system will automatically deduct 90 mins for breaks, so you are being conned if you only have 60 mins as you will be paid for 9 1/2 hours, not the 10 hours you have worked.

here is a quote from the staff handbook, in the section on pay & hours.
Where staff work split shifts, for example, 6am to 9am and 5pm to 8pm on the same day, the break between the two shifts will be no less than one hour.
going by this, it cannot be a split shift even if you clock out, then in again a couple of minutes later. it is still a continuous shift of 11 hours.
« Last Edit: 17-02-13, 09:43AM by tumshie »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #132 on: 17-02-13, 10:33AM »
Never ceases to amaze me the 'tricks/stunts' that MM pull that cost people money, if those people looked around they would find the information that tells them their rights.

In many cases they can show it to the stunt master and get what they are owed  :d:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

servicedrone

« Reply #133 on: 27-07-14, 12:22AM »
Hi, newbie here. Our store wants us to start clocking for our 15 min paid breaks. Does anyone know if this is the norm?

Yorkshire dave

• Know All
« Reply #134 on: 27-07-14, 02:09AM »
there are no paid breaks

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #135 on: 27-07-14, 10:12AM »
Is it the norm to clock in/out for the 15 minute breaks?

Not in our store.
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #136 on: 27-07-14, 10:40AM »
Company policy is that you are meant to clock for 30mins breaks and over, however in the past i am aware of some managers asking the colleagues to clock for 15 mins due to abuse of the 15 min break entitlement.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #137 on: 27-07-14, 11:05AM »
Really?  What happened to the automatic one hour lunch break deduction?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #138 on: 03-06-15, 11:39PM »
Usdaw are a joke there scared of tesco, give incorrect advice and have no stomach for a fight.I have met some good reps but there few and far between ..

zarniwoop

« Reply #139 on: 04-06-15, 01:27AM »
Usdaw are a joke there scared of tesco, give incorrect advice and have no stomach for a fight.I have met some good reps but there few and far between ..
THEY are not scared of Tesco . We reps give as good advice as we have access to. Sorry you feel let down previously or are you just continually in trouble ?

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #140 on: 04-06-15, 07:40AM »
Not all reps provide good advice. Usdaw may not be "scared" of Tesco, but they certainly are hesitant to challenge them on certain matters. Furthermore, Usdaw have occasionally provided incorrect advice to reps.

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #141 on: 04-06-15, 07:58AM »
Agreed Loki , I left tesco due a complete hash up of a structure change 9 years ago where my pay was reduced by 3k for exactly the same job and conditions. At first the union were supportive but as soon as court was mentioned they advised me to drop it. Suffice to say I didn't I went to tribunal against 2 SMS and the regional people and the result was me signings gagging order.... Did buy a new house shortly after tho!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #142 on: 11-06-15, 09:36PM »
Not all reps provide good advice. Usdaw may not be "scared" of Tesco, but they certainly are hesitant to challenge them on certain matters. Furthermore, Usdaw have occasionally provided incorrect advice to reps.

Afraid I am in total agreement here! Only yesterday my A.O. admitted to having told me wrong information AGAIN!! the new partnership agreement is very glossy but that's probably as it seems watered down in places!! I have actually gained more info on this website to help my members in the last couple months than in my 3 years as a rep!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Babyface

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #143 on: 12-06-15, 08:56AM »
Hi, newbie here. Our store wants us to start clocking for our 15 min paid breaks. Does anyone know if this is the norm?
at our store we don't clock i n/out for 15min breaks

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #144 on: 12-06-15, 09:08AM »
Never clocked in or out for any of our breaks.

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #145 on: 12-06-15, 11:19AM »
We don't clock out for breaks, never have, the system should deduct your contracted break automatically, and honestly who trusts managers to be doing it right.

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #146 on: 12-06-15, 11:40AM »
There are managers who will state something to be company policy when it is not.

There are those that will believe anything that managers tell them.

arlo

• Regular Pain
« Reply #147 on: 12-06-15, 01:48PM »
at our store we don't clock i n/out for 15min breaks
   what about 30 min breaks and hour breaks

burns2015

« Reply #148 on: 12-06-15, 10:56PM »
You  should clock out for breaks 30 mins and over. Attached fully policy.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 12-06-15, 11:02PM by burns2015 »

burns2015

« Reply #149 on: 12-06-15, 11:05PM »
Using the time and attendance clock machine
You should bring your clock card to every shift with you.  This is what you will use to let us know when you have been at work.
The time and attendance clock should be used at the following times:
•   When you are ready to start work and go to your department
•   When you go on a break (of 30 minutes or more) and return from it
•   When you finishing your shift

You need to ensure that clocking in is the final thing you do before you start work. It should also be the first thing you do after you finish work.  For example:
•   You arrive at work, you hang up your coat/put your belongings away, you ensure you are ready for service, you clock in and go straight to your department. 
•   You finish work on your department, you clock out, you collect your belongings and leave the building. 
•   You are responsible for your own clock card and using it.  Colleagues must only use their own clock cards. Please note; clocking in and/or out on behalf of someone else is potentially a gross misconduct offence and may lead to disciplinary action being taken against you, up to and including dismissal. 

If you clock in late or take a longer break than you were expected to take the time and attendance system will show this. Your Line Manager may speak to you about this if you are regularly late or take longer breaks than you are expected to.  If you have any issues with arriving to work on time, then you should discuss this with your Line Manager to find a solution.
You should clock in and out for any agreed shifts which you work.  This includes your contracted hours, any hours you are doing as part of your flexible contract and any overtime.
You swipe your clock card at the machine.  The machine will tell you if your card has been recognised.  This might be a message on the screen/and or a beep sound and/or a light on the clock.  You should ensure you pay attention to the clock to check it has accepted your clock in or out. 
If the clock isn’t working you should contact the Duty Manager and let your Manager or Team Leader know that you haven’t been able to clock in/out.
If you encounter any of the following you should speak to your Manager or Team Leader:
•   If you have an issue with your clock card
•   If you have forgotten your clock card (Your spare clock card which is kept in store can be used for the day)
•   If you lose your clock card (So a replacement can be made for you as soon as possible)

What happens if I don’t clock in and out properly?
Failing to clock in and out properly can cause the following issues:
•   You could be paid incorrectly e.g. not receive overtime payment
•   More work for your wages clerk, which could be avoided
•   More work for your Managers and Team Leaders, which means they can’t focus on the things you would like them to