Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62880
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 83
Total: 84

Author Topic: Break issues  (Read 64306 times)

Break issues
« on: 25-02-06, 03:34AM »
Hello, I work in a One-Stop shop (which is owned and run by Tesco) and have been doing so for several months. The bad machinery, lack of overtime pay and minimum wage doesn't bother me so much as the fact that staff aren't allowed to take breaks in our shop. Even those who work from 5.30am-4pm aren't allowed to stop- we don't have breaks and we aren't allowed to have lunch. The management say no, and if staff let other staff they're working with have a break, both members of staff are disciplined and warned not to let it happen again. Is this illegal? All the staff are afraid to approach the management as it would certainly compromise job security. I simply don't know who I can turn to for help on the issue, if there's any help to be had.

I'm annonymous because I don't want the manager of my store reading this :)

I have removed your address to protect your anonymity FATTY, (Moderator).
« Last Edit: 25-02-06, 04:54PM by fatty »

Sanmay

Re: Break issues
« Reply #1 on: 25-02-06, 03:50AM »
Well annonymousperson, are you still unknown?? putting your store address may not have been a good move if you still wish to remain unknown.

To answer your query...yes it is illegal to let you work long shifts without having a break...particularly 5.30am to 4.00pm.  As you have not converted to Tesco but remain a One Stop then our partnership agreement would probably not be relevant to you.  But look in your phone book for the USDAW regional office address and telephone number, give them a ring and ask for help. In my experience the staff in the divisional offices are always willing to help. Alternatively you could go on line if you have access to a computer and try the USDAW website.  Or Google the 'Working Time Directive' which is law and relevant to every company in the UK.

Do hope you find a solution to your problems.

Sanmay (Moderator)

I'm the oldest swinger in town

Shire

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 25-02-06, 04:02AM »
Annonymouse try this:

Phone: 01992 644 999

I rang the number. I asked a few questions. This phone is manned 24/7. It goes straight to Cheshunt (Head Office). They call themselves Tesco Security. You can speak to them anonymously (don't forget to put 141 before the number so that yours is withheld). You can report crime, intimidation, bullying and H & S issues. Depending on how serious it is it can be "escalated" to Senior Management to be dealt with immediately.

With all the H & S issues that are being posted on this site I thought you should all know this number.

Please let me know how you get on - good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem with 'Common Sense'  is that it ain't that common - people do the strangest things...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem with 'Common Sense'  is that it ain't that common - people do the strangest things...

fatty

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 25-02-06, 02:28PM »
As i don't live far away i might pop in and say hello. Feel free to e-mail me. For the most of March I'm going around stores in my region recruiting for the union and "hopefully" I'm sorting out problems such as this. Please, do E-mail me if you want a chat ;)

FATTY, (Moderator).
I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

« Reply #4 on: 08-03-06, 08:40PM »
As far as legalitys go, the law says that you must have a 20 minute break for every 6 hours worked, Tesco policy is that employees must have a 15 minute break every 4 hours, so you should be working no more than 3&3/4 hours before you get a 15 min break. Now that depends on you having tesco contracts with terms and conditions as you say you are owned by tesco but not branded as tesco.

Are you in the union because you should speak to either your union rep (like me) or phone the union up and speak to an area organiser (a full time union offial)

But purely from a common sense point of view you are working far to long without a break and it would be unreasonable to refuse you one.....

shafted

« Reply #5 on: 03-04-06, 02:30AM »
theres always other options,for example,lodge a grievance under the working time regulations right to have 20 min break if you work 6 hrs or more and if you get no joy internally then you can lodge a tribunal under the same complaint,or if you are in fear of reprisal complain to the HSE using the whistleblowers protection to anonimity under a breach of health and safety.hope this helps.

Anne

« Reply #6 on: 03-04-06, 02:36AM »
The clock's an hour fast here!   [:I]  8)   ;D  :)  :o  ;D  :D   :D   :D   :D

(Time now corrected. They changed their clocks in new York, knew it happened soon after us. Nomad  :D )

Little Tinker

« Reply #7 on: 10-06-06, 11:37PM »
Yes but what if your scared of losing your job, sounds like management are using the fear factor. !!!!

Opinions are like ars**oles: everybody's got one, and they all stink !!!!!!!!!!!!

Geezer100

« Reply #8 on: 18-07-06, 04:35AM »
Was told by MM today, that when on my break, need to check if wagon is waiting to come in, if so to come off my break, tip it and then finish break off.
Me: Yer right.

« Last Edit: 18-09-06, 02:19PM by Geezer100 »

Chairswan

« Reply #9 on: 18-07-06, 04:48AM »
If the wagon turns up at your backgate whilst on your break, make it wait or two other trained (if any) members of staff to tip it for, otherwise staff don't get a bonus for top T&F times unfortunately :(  >:D

may the force be with you
even when it isnt!
Now the latest moderator to hit the fold!

Geezer100

« Reply #10 on: 18-07-06, 01:41PM »
Two trained warehouse staff?
That'll be me and the Duty manager then!
Goign on about T & F times tho, I normally like to tip milk wagon on my own, take my time putting it away.
Last nite one of the provisions lads gave me a hand, sped things right up.
Then it was short - he had to ring the dairy up cos they had left a trolley off.
They brought it out a 9 when i was finishing.
Foned up duty manager and told him it's sitting outside waiting to come in, and p**sed off home!

« Last Edit: 18-09-06, 02:19PM by Geezer100 »

Geezer100

« Reply #11 on: 18-09-06, 02:20PM »
The only time I give up my break, and continue it later is if a First Aid Call goes out, and I am the only 1st Aider in Store.
Oh, and if the fire-alarm goes off.

« Reply #12 on: 03-10-06, 07:46PM »
Are they allowed to watch you on camera keeping an eye on break times and if ya sneak up for a cig? then someone else have an apprasial and everyone's name is mentioned who goes up?

fatty

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 04-10-06, 05:16AM »
There should be a blue sign at the front of store that mentions what the cctv is used for. I will tell you now that it DOES NOT mention watching the performance of staff at work. They can not use cctv for monitoring staff to see how hard they work. ITS ILLEGAL.

FATTY, (Moderator).
"Complain all you want, but are you willing to stand and be counted?"

I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

animal666

« Reply #14 on: 05-03-07, 11:49PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Psycho_eyes

If the wagon turns up at your backgate whilst on your break, make it wait or two other trained (if any) members of staff to tip it for, otherwise staff don't get a bonus for top T&F times unfortunately

What bonus? I've heard rumours that management get it but not ga's. Of course that really inspires us staff now doesn't it>:(

animal

Chairswan

« Reply #15 on: 06-03-07, 04:30AM »
I ment to say we GAs don't get a bonus for any times we manage >:D

Now it's time to get the cloak & dagger out!

Psycho eyes (Moderator)

spot

« Reply #16 on: 02-04-07, 12:46AM »
hi

get on line www.usdaw.org.uk and join the union the company/site manager is breaking the law big time

http://www.usdaw.org.uk/getactive/resource_library/1135071838_22151.html

the law will also protect you from victimisation ie they can be fined heavily if they pick on or harras you for joining

LittleWanderlei

« Reply #17 on: 29-04-07, 12:30AM »
The working time directive states a minimum of 1/2 break after 6 hrs of work, so yes what you are suggesting would be illegal. I suggest you point this out to you most senior manager immediately. You should not fear retribution for this as ultimately would constitute unsafe working practise and would be cause for constructive dismissal. Suggest you join USDAW asap also

scruffy

« Reply #18 on: 09-06-07, 05:44AM »
join usdaw ha ha what are they going to do?

bushido

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Train hard, fight easy.
« Reply #19 on: 09-06-07, 09:53PM »
what theyve always done instores....insist on company policies and legal rights being adhered to....something they do very successfully.

bushido   (Moderator)

Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed

Tie 2 birds together, and although they have four wings, they cannot fly.
bushido  
Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
 "Gentlemen, you cant fight in here, this is the war room!"

jedi_knight

« Reply #20 on: 29-06-08, 11:18PM »
scruffy if you dont know what they will do then maybe you should find out rather than critisise be part of the solution not part of the problem. some good advice has been given on this post i hope the person asking takes note together we are stronger

MrTesco

« Reply #21 on: 07-09-08, 01:24PM »
I ment to say we GAs don't get a bonus for any times we manage >:D

Now it's time to get the cloak & dagger out!

Psycho eyes (Moderator)

I agree that GA's should have some sort of performance bonus system in place as too many staff in my store convieniently get their aisle finished and faced about 3 minutes before the end of their shift with just enough time to take their stool back outside.

People like myself get hassled to finish their aisle quick to either take rubbish cages out to the yard or go and help one of these 'slackers' to finish their work.
I am getting mighty sick of it as management are doing nothing about it! - Saying that though there is always the saying "if you can't beat them, join them"!

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 28-12-08, 12:19PM »
Sorry guys, my experience with the union is not good.  Union reps going at ILLEGAL lengths to protect friends and relations including theft.

Regional union members promising to support store with problem union reps then going back on agreements.

Always go to most senior, experienced, honest manager.  They will support you as long there is trust.

DarkAngel

« Reply #23 on: 26-02-09, 11:52AM »
Thats some strong accusations there.  What are these lengths?

In general union reps avoid representing their own relatives and friends, and as far as I can tell the company is breaking the law trying to influence the union into who becomes a rep and who doesn't.

pumpstick

« Reply #24 on: 11-03-09, 11:51PM »
UNDER TUPE.
a regulation for the transfere of employment contract, and undertakings by tesco when they bought out one stop.
Tesco are obliged to, by law and h&s obligations to allow employees to have breaks, as per regulations, and your contract has migrated to a tesco one. therefore you are entitled to breaks as per a tesco employee is. The partnership agreement, between tesco and usdaw, the union tesco recognises also applies to new/existing/integrated buisnesses that are bought and owned/run either as/or by tesco. signed of at board level, is enforcable, without question by managers of all grades and locations. if staff are having problems with this contact your union rep, or area organiser. if no rep, you could become one, and see what the managers do about that? nothing.
Information, is the key. know your rights and stuff, even if the manager does not. and the union will back you to the hilt.