Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-06-18, 07:39AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 77140
  • Total Topics: 1604
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 87
Total: 91

Author Topic: Flexi contract situation opinions  (Read 3638 times)

Hello it’s me

• VLH Supporter
Flexi contract situation opinions
« on: 13-03-18, 07:38PM »
I worked for Tesco a few years ago and was on a flexi contract I was never pressured to do overtime or put in for it without being asked no issues most weeks I just did my standard days however I recently started working at Tesco again and on my first night I was handed a four week rota my contracted days are Wednesday to Sat*rday the rota had marked me in for Sunday’s without it even being asked I told them I couldn’t do one of the weeks and they removed it no issues but most four week periods I will most likely only be able to do overtime 2-3 of the 4 weeks and it seems as if they try to rota everyone in for 5 days every week I’m doing nights and four is plenty for me most weeks do you foresee me telling them when the Rotas are handed out that I can’t do certain days being an issue I’m meeting them half way by doing the overtime 60-70% of the time asked just because you marked on your availability sheet that you are normally available on a day of shouldn’t mean you can’t make plans on it because you might be put on the Rota for overtime that day next month surely also when interviewed the night manager did say he wouldn’t expect me to want to do it every week I’m annoyed I wasn’t asked thanks for replies

fatboy

Re: Flexi contract situation opinions
« Reply #1 on: 13-03-18, 07:49PM »
Wowzers, that's a long sentence.

Hello it’s me

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 13-03-18, 07:50PM »
Lol I rarely use punctuation when I’m typing on my iPhone

GDP1980

« Reply #3 on: 13-03-18, 07:51PM »
if you are on a Flexi contract, you would need to tell them any days you cannot do before the rotas are completed as you have said in your availability you can do them

Hello it’s me

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 13-03-18, 08:11PM »
You dont get chance to wed-sat are contracted days they can only request me to do one extra day at most which is what they do normally (Sunday) it’s normally given to you at the start of your first shift chance to tell them is there and then my point being is that if I agree two or three weeks out of the four do they have reasonable grounds to take disciplinary action as I simply won’t do it every week to me I think I’m being flexible enough there I’m just wondering if anyone foresees me not doing it every week even people on 3 day contracts are in 5 days every week I think it’s exploitation of the flexi contract I guess I’ll have to see how lenient they are they specifically said they won’t expect me to do it every week I work nights and I also have a life outside of work four nights is more ideal although I don’t mind doing it some weeks Does it just boil down to the managers themselves ?

GDP1980

« Reply #5 on: 13-03-18, 08:31PM »
As a checkout team support who regularly supports nights as overtime, if you cannot to any shifts according to your availability just give them as much notice as you can that you cannot work them.

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 13-03-18, 08:34PM »
It might of changed but pretty sure you can’t be flexed into a Sunday, one of the few rules on flexi contracts, they can ask you can refuse without any comeback.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 13-03-18, 08:37PM »
Wowzers, that's a long sentence.

The OP doesn't say how long they are going to stay at tesco??

Although I agree that to many, any time spent at tesco is only slightly shy of capital punishment. ;)
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Hello it’s me

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 13-03-18, 08:45PM »
It might of changed but pretty sure you can’t be flexed into a Sunday, one of the few rules on flexi contracts, they can ask you can refuse without any comeback.
Yes this is true thank you but they then ask if maybe Monday or Tuesday are possible and it’s more about the amount of days of than the specific day as I travel to see family to far for a day trip if I had foreseen them asking every week I would of said I’m not available on non contracted days just hope they meet me half way and don’t try enforcing my contract to the letter as it seems slightly unfair need the money to much to quit even if they aren’t amicable so just cross my fingers that I can get three days of most weeks.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 13-03-18, 08:50PM »
Some managers say you have to be prepared to be flexed up every week as long as you are given 24 hours notice to 4/5 shift. If you do it the odd week they ask you are not breaching your contract. Some TMs forget this is a 2 way contract and if they need you in 4 and 5 shift every week they can contract you to this effect.

GDP1980

« Reply #10 on: 13-03-18, 08:54PM »
That is true, but you need to tell them which ones cannot work with as much notice as possible to save confusion.

Hello it’s me

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 13-03-18, 09:11PM »
Some managers say you have to be prepared to be flexed up every week as long as you are given 24 hours notice to 4/5 shift. If you do it the odd week they ask you are not breaching your contract. Some TMs forget this is a 2 way contract and if they need you in 4 and 5 shift every week they can contract you to this effect.
My thoughts exactly

lostanddead

« Reply #12 on: 13-03-18, 09:37PM »
When you completed your availability form there is a section on there where you state the maximum number of days/hours per week you are prepared to be flexed up to weekly. Do you remember what you put on there and is this being adhered to?

In our store if we give two weeks advance notice of being unavailable on non-contracted days our managers are supportive and work around our commitments.

I would suggest you put in writing to your manager that you are struggling with your work/life balance and request that your availability is amended. They will then invite you to a meeting where you can discuss all this and hopefully come to an agreement that suits both of you.

If you reduce your availability there is nothing to stop you picking up shifts on an ad hoc basis on 'non-available' days if you want/need to.

Hello it’s me

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 14-03-18, 09:13AM »
Can you request to change availability any time ?

Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote the immediately prior post, it's a waste of HDD space, also when using quote do not mix your words within the quote as it ascribes your words to the original poster.

RubyRed

« Reply #14 on: 15-03-18, 01:48PM »
If you signed a contract to be a flexi then you are contractually obliged to fulfill the contract. I would suggest asking if they could support you by not being a flexi so you can travel to see family. They did this for someone in my store who has a change in circumstances.

lostanddead

« Reply #15 on: 15-03-18, 10:46PM »
You can request to change your availability at any time - put the request in writing to your team manager. They will invite you to a formal meeting because your available hours are part of your flexi contract; it's a technical change to your contract.

Miffed72

« Reply #16 on: 17-03-18, 09:09AM »
Read term and conditions on our Tesco website. Then go to flexible working. Your contract says as a flexible worker you have to work up to 36.5hrs anything more than that is voluntarily.

Gorgonzola

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 18-03-18, 09:15AM »
Miffed is right. All about flexible contracts is on Our Tesco although it is tucked away a bit. Go to Our Tesco/ partnership agreement with USDAW/ Terms and Conditions/ Contract types

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #18 on: 18-03-18, 05:39PM »
if you are on a Flexi contract, you would need to tell them any days you cannot do before the rotas are completed as you have said in your availability you can do them

Not correct, You need to make them aware of any shifts you dont want at least 48 hours before the shift is to start Tesco need only give 24 hours notice.

So if they are doing rotas a month in advance I suggest you do the same at the very least and decline any you dont want to do. Flexi contracts are not there to make you beholden to them as in they say jump and you say how high its a mutual thing and you both get a say in what you do and when over and above you contracted shifts hours.
« Last Edit: 18-03-18, 05:41PM by forrestgimp »

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 18-03-18, 07:38PM »
If you do some flexi/overtime hours no one can say anything if you suddenly don't bother. Being flexible is a 2 way thing. Tesco try to take take take but trying is all it will be. Flexi is a 2 way agreement.