Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-12-18, 04:54AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81787
  • Total Topics: 1721
  • Online Today: 137
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Author Topic: How many people are allowed a holiday per shift?  (Read 5935 times)

Gr

• VLH Supporter
Hi I asked for a night off and was told I can't have it as there is already 1 person off even although there is 2 people off this coming Sat*rday. I thought it was 2 for each shift but it seems it's however the manager feels now.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: How many people are allowed a holiday per shift?
« Reply #1 on: 11-03-18, 01:31PM »
Its store specific. 1-2 ppl off per department. Or 4 ppl per whole store etc...

Gr

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 11-03-18, 02:11PM »
OK thanks she's just being awkward if I'm honest.

There is also a married couple and they get the same holidays off all the time.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #3 on: 11-03-18, 02:41PM »
Maybe they put their holidays in for the year the day the holiday booking window opens !once the holiday window opens everyone can put a form in , I imagine if you're a married couple working in the same store you have no choice but to do this . That would mean having to think about what time off you want over a year in advance not ideal for anyone but probably the only way they can get time off together . If it bothers you that much put your holiday form in the day booking opens .

Gr

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 11-03-18, 03:37PM »
So different rules for different people?

madness

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 11-03-18, 06:14PM »
That depends massively on your store size and which department. As to controller probably one at a time, dot com picker 2-3 probably fine. Checkouts maybe even 4 or more at  a time. I tell my guys and girls I can handle 2 off at a time if the others are willing to pick up the overtime to over it. Others cover it no problem as they know that by being flexible they will more likely get holidays they want off or random days off. Certain days the manager may say no to any holidays, bakery on pancake day, produce on valentines day etc.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 11-03-18, 06:27PM »
Eh??? You are given overtime to cover holiday absence  ??? Seriously  ??? That would be the day in my store!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 11-03-18, 06:36PM »
Apart the the more frequent ban on overtime weeks (which I now have a note of for future holiday planning) Then yes I usually get overtime to cover holidays.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 11-03-18, 07:11PM »
Conversation with my manager.

Manager..... Lucgeo,"Fred's" off on holiday this week, so can you make sure you cover his department.
Lucgeo....err....I thought holidays should be covered by overtime??
Manager.....aye in an ideal world..you know this, I know this.....overtime ban by SM/CM

Had the same conversation for the last 10 years+

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 11-03-18, 07:41PM »
@lucgeo they said that about the overtime ban in our Dot.com and the pickers and drivers basically told them to F. off if they were not willing to pay them overtime( they were offered time in lieu) it's amazing how quickly MM found overtime budget. It's happened a couple of times in our store. :) :)
The worlds me lobster

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 11-03-18, 08:18PM »
Conversation with my manager.

Manager..... Lucgeo,"Fred's" off on holiday this week, so can you make sure you cover his department.
Lucgeo....err....I thought holidays should be covered by overtime??
Manager.....aye in an ideal world..you know this, I know this.....overtime ban by SM/CM

Had the same conversation for the last 10 years+

Its either that or "your department is over hours"

(edited to remove comment from quote)
« Last Edit: 15-03-18, 02:56PM by tumshie »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 11-03-18, 08:42PM »
Our dept. Is under hours ???

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 11-03-18, 08:46PM »
Sounds like somebody in your store is going for a Blue. I wonder who that would be?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 11-03-18, 09:38PM »
Overtime ban = Group over budget, SM trying to make their name and get a blue. It's currently happening in my former store and they have lost serious numbers of staff that aren't being covered with overtime.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 11-03-18, 10:10PM »
So different rules for different people?

What would you do if you had been placed in charge and had a married couple wanting the same holidays ?

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 12-03-18, 06:33AM »
Overtime ban = Group over budget, SM trying to make their name and get a blue. It's currently happening in my former store and they have lost serious numbers of staff that aren't being covered with overtime.
Since there will be the usual annual squeeze on everything to make sure the numbers are right as we are at year-end... which is because the business must therefore be under performing against expectation and has not budgeted correctly - if you're squeezing payroll now you haven't managed it properly all year, so the panic now is to ensure people get bonuses.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 12-03-18, 10:18AM »
We are meant to have X number on shift so that determines how many are allowed off per shift. This number has been asking the impossible. Tesco keep recruiting university students not prepared to flex up hours at certain points of the year. Those who have been in the company for years only want to drop shifts. Then you have sickness and a few days snow which screws the place up. The place is on its arse it's that simple. It was busy in our store for mothers day/easter all week and shelf were never filled. Our TMs are constantly telling us there are more staff being recruited. More people working 1/2/3 day who don't give a damn, more people who wont be trained, more people who will leave after a few months due to finding a better role or not liking/needed the job. The TMs in my place admit to not giving a f*** what the store looks like at shift end.

Gr

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 12-03-18, 05:33PM »
Well it’s just s*** that two people are sometimes aloud allowed off at other times. Anyway hopefully I won’t be there much longer.
« Last Edit: 12-03-18, 07:42PM by Nomad »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 12-03-18, 06:15PM »
Well no it's not fair if a married couple are allowed off at the same time, from the same department, and individuals are told no, only ONE person off??

If that is the only reason the manager is giving, and not due to long term sick, busy trading season etc....then you are indeed being treated unfairly.

Did the married couple join the department at the same time?? Where they given the positions on the understanding that they would be granted the same time off?? If they weren't and they have nothing in writing...then you are being treated unfairly and the manager is not being consistent in allocation.

It's either two in the department off at the same time or not ??? This is why I have never liked families working in the same store, and at one time were not allowed to work in the same department. And yours is a prime example of why.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 12-03-18, 07:35PM »
Since there will be the usual annual squeeze on everything to make sure the numbers are right as we are at year-end... which is because the business must therefore be under performing against expectation and has not budgeted correctly - if you're squeezing payroll now you haven't managed it properly all year, so the panic now is to ensure people get bonuses.

Completely agree, though I cannot say I've seen competent budget management from Tesco managers in any store I've worked in.

Yes, it's a tell tale sign of under performance from the business, several credit agencies indicating this budget control as an offset to poor performance
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

madness

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 12-03-18, 08:25PM »
Every manager is pretty good at spacing out hols in our store. It is the random and sudden overtime bans that screw us up. Not even the store managers fault we know it comes from above. Madness to bang on about service and standards all the time though it gets forgotten about when the company wants to save money.

Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post, or put your words within the quote tags as you are then subscribing your words to another member.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 12-03-18, 11:19PM »
@ madness

And you know every manager in the business???

Yes random bans screw everything  up, just as much as poor planning and lack of cover due to bad rostering.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 13-03-18, 07:48AM »
The Jan-April overtime ban can hardly be classed as random......its been a yearly occurance as regular as clockwork thru every one of my years in the company.

TMs need to get smart and book as many holidays as possible in periods when they will be a OT budget

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 13-03-18, 11:27AM »
The overtime ban happens every year in my store too. The TMs would tell you it was on and a few hours later you would be asked to do overtime. The ban is getting longer every year. They just let the stock build up in the warehouse now and sit for days not worked. My store has poor holiday scheduling. If you are mates with management you will get what you want regardless of how many are already off. No one in my place is interested in overtime already contracted for enough shift or focusing on University commitments to leave Tesco.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 13-03-18, 01:27PM »
The Jan-April overtime ban can hardly be classed as random......its been a yearly occurance as regular as clockwork thru every one of my years in the company.

TMs need to get smart and book as many holidays as possible in periods when they will be a OT budget
there are plenty of random bans where SM'S decide they want to make a name fir themselves and save on the budget.