Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-09-18, 07:02AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5969
  • Latest: Ash1313
Stats
  • Total Posts: 80604
  • Total Topics: 1688
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 77
Total: 80

Poll

Booker/Tesco, does take over create in you ?

Happiness
(10.7%)
Fear
(12.6%)
In difference
(36.4%)
Uncertainty
(40.2%)

Author Topic: Booker/Tesco poll.  (Read 6237 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Booker/Tesco poll.
« on: 01-03-18, 11:24AM »
Good, bad, job losses, worsening T&Cs/wages etc

What's you opinion/thoughts ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: Booker/Tesco poll.
« Reply #1 on: 01-03-18, 12:23PM »
Keep a list of the number of job losses.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 01-03-18, 12:46PM »
At last a merger/deal that makes a bit of sense instead of buying restaurants or similar.

Yes there will be some "streamlining" , (Matt Davies for a starter) there always is in a merger but makes the company more stable, I believe, and as I've said before I would much rather work for a company that makes money rather than loses money like toys r us and maplin

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 01-03-18, 12:49PM »
Job lose =yes has to be if they are going to get a saving of 200 million , Both at head office and other places in which both over lap ,

T&Cs cant get any worse going by what both get paid at the moment and what is said by some to be the situation in tesco ,

I think its a great deal  :), what with everything going on in the high street and on line ,,

As we can see the voting came out very much so for the deal , Even with all the scare mongering that has been going on ,

specialgravy

« Reply #4 on: 01-03-18, 09:58PM »
i think there will be DC closures, express deliveries going to booker and job losses....lots of them. i also see no quick resolution of the absolute shambles that has been carrying on with deliveries since P&H went under.most of the stobart drivers i speak to are looking to leave and have tales of poor pay and driver shortages.  i really hope i'm wrong....

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 02-03-18, 12:15AM »
Regarding Palmer & Harvey , hopefully Booker will replace this as since they went bust it's been symbolic for some areas, no cigs , no local produce , it's been shameful for a company the size if Tesco.

fatboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 02-03-18, 10:42AM »
If Tesco taking over Booker is such a good thing then how comes the share price is falling again?

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 02-03-18, 01:27PM »
From the bulls selling their shorts to cash in?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Trickster

« Reply #8 on: 02-03-18, 01:47PM »
2014 Save as You earn options are live as of March 1st i.e. you can buy at option price of £1.50 then sell at current price giving a 37% profit @ £2.06 less costs..who wouldn`t take their profit and run..add to the fact the impact the weather is having on retail stores having had to close etc......most of the retails sector is down because of this.

notsofunny

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 02-03-18, 04:01PM »
If Tesco taking over Booker is such a good thing then how comes the share price is falling again?

Could be something to do with the stock market being down since Trump said  on thursday that he wants to place tariffs on Steel and other things,, as well as a bit on  to the snow ,

Nearly every stock in the FTSE 100 is red , as is all stock markets around the world ,
« Last Edit: 02-03-18, 04:10PM by notsofunny »

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 02-03-18, 11:33PM »
2014 Save as You earn options are live as of March 1st i.e. you can buy at option price of £1.50 then sell at current price giving a 37% profit @ £2.06 less costs..who wouldn`t take their profit and run..add to the fact the impact the weather is having on retail stores having had to close etc......most of the retails sector is down because of this.
Start of trading 1st March Tesco shares were 210.80p . If you had a 3yr £20 a month saye,  you paid in £720 and would get back £1011 . Down side is shares get sold in batches over a week and shares were already down to 202p today But still a good return

OpShunned

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 05-03-18, 03:29PM »
Tesco completes £4bn takeover of Booker?

MARCH 2018 • 7:55AM

Tesco’s £4bn takeover of Booker has completed, both companies said on Monday, creating a new powerhouse in Britain’s £200bn-a-year food market....Analysts noted that with a market capitalisation of just under £20bn, Tesco is now bigger than the whole of rivals Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, Marks & Spencer and Ocado put together.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/03/05/tesco-completes-4bn-takeover-booker/

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 12-03-18, 08:25PM »
I think there maybe a change of mentality and purpose for some Booker warehouses.
Which maybe be difficult for local some small independent retailers who use them as a cash and CARRY where they collect and don't have deliveries.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

trigger

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • yr aving it!!!
« Reply #13 on: 12-03-18, 09:53PM »
Magor trunk .apparantly need to recriut 100 operatives ,good luck with with that,also good news for magor ,more work coming our way,i seriously think tesco need to up ther basic on the new contracts 2 ph.
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 12-03-18, 11:16PM »
But the main question on everyone’s lips will Tesco staff be allowed to buy stuff from Bookers ?

formerscoboy

• Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 13-03-18, 07:51AM »
Magor is servicing south west bookers as nearest rdc in Hatfield cannot cope. I believe at the moment discount cards for both are up in the air.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 13-03-18, 11:32AM »
Magor trunk .apparantly need to recriut 100 operatives ,good luck with with that,also good news for magor ,more work coming our way,i seriously think tesco need to up ther basic on the new contracts 2 ph.

I agree  :thumbup:

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 13-03-18, 07:23PM »
They may need to think twice about a rise in DC pay. Because if the equality case is successful it will cost tesco more to achieve parity, and that would put additional strain on the future security of the company. Just think of all of those job losses should tesco go under due to raising the DC rate willy-nilly.

Just sayin
« Last Edit: 13-03-18, 07:26PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Life after tossco

« Reply #18 on: 13-03-18, 08:27PM »
Administrator Comment Racially derogatory post deleted.

trigger

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • yr aving it!!!
« Reply #19 on: 14-03-18, 01:00AM »
optout your boring ... .... ... me ,if you and the rest of the unhappy sufrajet movement dont like it, .... off to aldis.
« Last Edit: 14-03-18, 10:07AM by Nomad »
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

Retrokid

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 14-03-18, 06:33AM »
As if Tesco will worry about pay and a possible claim for fairness. Avonmouth DC just accepted a £1-04 an hour pay rise. Not forgetting they get time and half for overtime. And weekend or nights premiums. And it's one of their newest DC's . Feel free to jump ship to DC's shopworkers if you want parity. Avonmouth has over 100 vacancies.

OpShunned

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 14-03-18, 09:47AM »
optout your boring ... .... ... me ,if you and the rest of the unhappy sufrajet movement dont like it, .... off to aldis.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that post may just have abused the privilege  :thumbdown:

Interesting spelling of Suffragette too  >:D. It's also 'you're' when abbreviating 'you are'  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: 14-03-18, 09:49AM by OpShunned »

gordon

• Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 14-03-18, 11:28AM »
I think Trigger has his own opinion, same as you OpShunned,but he is right if you want to be paid more than you do in a shop with a full time contract pop into a DC near you,as recommended by
Retrokid.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #23 on: 14-03-18, 11:33AM »
As if Tesco will worry about pay and a possible claim for fairness. Avonmouth DC just accepted a £1-04 an hour pay rise. Not forgetting they get time and half for overtime. And weekend or nights premiums. And it's one of their newest DC's . Feel free to jump ship to DC's shopworkers if you want parity. Avonmouth has over 100 vacancies.
100 vacancies since october. So how the rates will look like from now one in Avonmouth? If i might ask.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 14-03-18, 04:20PM »
But the main question on everyone’s lips will Tesco staff be allowed to buy stuff from Bookers ?

Bookers aren't open to the general public are they? So why would that change?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.