Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-10-19, 07:59AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8505
  • Latest: Foysi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61663
  • Total Topics: 1083
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Pay differences at Tesco  (Read 16152 times)

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
Re: Pay differences at Tesco
« Reply #75 on: 04-08-19, 05:42PM »
The bigger point is that any increase won by one group will have to paid for by some or all of the others. I'm sure most people want to earn more however the pay rates were clearly advertised before you started and you accepted a role on those rates. If you want to earn more transfer into a higher paid role or develop.
and that's precisely why store staff find themselves s in the position they are. By your logic we should just accept the status quo, believe all the guff we are fed and let tosco dictate our pay and conditions without question. Never mind that times change, attitudes change and may be people just aren't willing to accept things anymore. We've seen our terms and conditions slashed, aided and abetted by those supposed to have our interests at heart. Who says we haven't all been underpaid for all these years. I for one never understood why the person who picked the stock got paid more than the person who put it out and I still havent come across a convincing argument to support it. Perhaps we are just reclaiming what would have been ours if stores had had a strong union and retail wasn't burdened by useless.

jimos87

« Reply #76 on: 05-08-19, 01:12PM »
CSD premium is due to accountability with moneygram / bank processes

We also make management decisions.  We also run 3 departments at a time . Csd tobacco call a colleague and clothing .

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #77 on: 05-08-19, 02:30PM »
Jimos87, you have it easy then.  Have you seen what PFS have to deal with? 

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #78 on: 05-08-19, 02:35PM »
Express Esso alliance fuel site night teams workload is harder than all other depts, nightshift ca's have more responsibility than lead managers, not even joking.

jimos87

« Reply #79 on: 05-08-19, 03:02PM »
Jimos87, you have it easy then.  Have you seen what PFS have to deal with?

pray tell all the hard work you supposedly do, security guards get paid the same as PFS and do a lot more dangerous work.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #80 on: 05-08-19, 03:15PM »
Okay, If you insist.  What have I done recently, worked the till, been responsible for authorizing pumps and taking payment, dealt with a distressed customer who's car had broken down, dealt with a distressed customer who had managed to chuck fuel all over himself, cleaned up mess, cleaned up numerous fuel spills.  I've been abused by a customer who wanted to fuel his van whilst facing the wrong way, I've reported broken pumps, broken guttering, fueled customers cars for them, pushed heavy trolleys full of transfers over from the store, I've done the smelly waste and rubbish.  I've done battle with the PDA to get the reductions done, I've done gap scans, low line counts, printed labels, seen to the tetrosyl delivery, the coal delivery, I've unloaded our booker delivery, I've put out stock, including cigarettes.  I've  dealt with complaints and queries, I've put up with moaning, uncooperative managers who won't come over and help us when we need help and I've cleaned the coffee machine.  is that enough?  Do you begrudge me and other PFS staff the same pay as you?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #81 on: 05-08-19, 03:17PM »
Here are some of the responsibilities of an esso alliance nightshift ca (no self serves, no pay at pumps.) On a 1 on 1 basis (1 shift leader/stepup 1 ca)

1. News and Mag Returns
2. Arming the fuel pump and serving customers making sure the person filling is of the correct age, the container is of the correct type and they're not smoking.
3. In the event a customer can't pay for fuel, fill out the form containing fields such as car model, color, customer name, time, date etc explsining they have 3 weeks to make the payment.
4. Same responsibilities as checkout ca's regarding selling age restricted products.
5. Refuse sale of alcohol between 11pm and 7am due to licensing restrictions
6. Refuse sale of scratch cards due to lottery reconcilliation system
7. Cleaning, maintenance and logging of the costa coffee machine
8. Baking
9. Sanding the forecourt in the event of a fuel spillage, for significant amounts closing the forecourt until spillage in sorted.
10. Closing the forecourt and making sure no pumps are armed in during fuel refilling.
11. Getting the veederroot ullage report to give back to the fuel driver.
12. P.I replacing labels
13. All ambient backstock in warehouse to be worked.
14.full store rumble
15. Making sure promo ends are full
16. Scanning in news and mags.
« Last Edit: 05-08-19, 03:19PM by NightAndDay »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #82 on: 05-08-19, 04:24PM »
Not that I begrudge PFS a skills payment, but any person on any department could make a similar type of list, particularly as several items are just repeated.

We are general assistants after all.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #83 on: 05-08-19, 05:21PM »
Here are some of the responsibilities of an esso alliance nightshift ca (no self serves, no pay at pumps.) On a 1 on 1 basis (1 shift leader/stepup 1 ca)

1. News and Mag Returns
2. Arming the fuel pump and serving customers making sure the person filling is of the correct age, the container is of the correct type and they're not smoking.
3. In the event a customer can't pay for fuel, fill out the form containing fields such as car model, color, customer name, time, date etc explsining they have 3 weeks to make the payment.
4. Same responsibilities as checkout ca's regarding selling age restricted products.
5. Refuse sale of alcohol between 11pm and 7am due to licensing restrictions
6. Refuse sale of scratch cards due to lottery reconcilliation system
7. Cleaning, maintenance and logging of the costa coffee machine
8. Baking
9. Sanding the forecourt in the event of a fuel spillage, for significant amounts closing the forecourt until spillage in sorted.
10. Closing the forecourt and making sure no pumps are armed in during fuel refilling.
11. Getting the veederroot ullage report to give back to the fuel driver.
12. P.I replacing labels
13. All ambient backstock in warehouse to be worked.
14.full store rumble
15. Making sure promo ends are full
16. Scanning in news and mags.

I'll watch you

Administrator Comment Please change you display name.

Dizzie dog

« Reply #84 on: 05-08-19, 05:46PM »
What about admin colleagues not being paid the same as wages colleagues even  if they often do wages based things

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #85 on: 05-08-19, 05:51PM »
Hi Admin I have now changed my name from MrDaveLewisCEO to Cleaner1 as per your request. Given this time it is also more appropriate. Wk26 is just round the corner.

Administrator Comment Thank you :-*

jimos87

« Reply #86 on: 05-08-19, 10:42PM »
Okay, If you insist.  What have I done recently, worked the till, been responsible for authorizing pumps and taking payment, dealt with a distressed customer who's car had broken down, dealt with a distressed customer who had managed to chuck fuel all over himself, cleaned up mess, cleaned up numerous fuel spills.  I've been abused by a customer who wanted to fuel his van whilst facing the wrong way, I've reported broken pumps, broken guttering, fueled customers cars for them, pushed heavy trolleys full of transfers over from the store, I've done the smelly waste and rubbish.  I've done battle with the PDA to get the reductions done, I've done gap scans, low line counts, printed labels, seen to the tetrosyl delivery, the coal delivery, I've unloaded our booker delivery, I've put out stock, including cigarettes.  I've  dealt with complaints and queries, I've put up with moaning, uncooperative managers who won't come over and help us when we need help and I've cleaned the coffee machine.  is that enough?  Do you begrudge me and other PFS staff the same pay as you?

Yes because I didn't see any management level decisions anywhere in there nor do I see anything covered by financial regulations, terrorist financing or money laundering. It's also not the fault of the desk that you seem to find your own job so difficult  if you think the combined desk is easier up skill and move.  And if your not getting help from managers what makes you think the desk gets any more support..

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #87 on: 06-08-19, 03:35AM »
There are perks to PFS that CSD don't have too. No sitting at CSD, and it's hard being on your feet all day in a limited space, it is feast or famine with a queue a mile long or nobody and you just don't know what is in the queue. Some colleagues in some PFS sites abuse the coffee on tap thing too. It can be difficult to get a break at PFS but it can also be easy to sneak extra breaks or just sit at till with endless drinks. I'm not saying anyone who has posted on here does that but there a lot of sites where colleagues do.
The knowledge base for job at PFS is big and Petrol is a dangerous substance but there are a lot of perks too.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #88 on: 06-08-19, 03:51PM »
I don't begrudge CSD their pay and I don't understand why others begrudge PFS the same deal.  We often do a very hard job and are frazzled to tears sometimes.  I guess a lot depends on the store you're working in, every store must have different experiences.  From my experience PFS have a very, very hard job a lot of the time, we certainly don't get management support and a lot of people are leaving.  The odd sneaky cup of tea doesn't make up for much and we certainly don't get to sit down much where we are, our kiosk doesn't have a proper seating area.   

Hazelgrif

« Reply #89 on: 28-09-19, 02:39PM »
Newbie here but oh my god, yes I work in Pfs I am a GA but do more than any manager does let me just give you little list of my duties,,, key holding responsibilities (no manager opens or locks up with us) opening /closing of pumps, alarm settings, customers problems, ctp drive offs ( paper work ridiculous) contact with police, taking daily abuse from customers, we do our own transfers from main store, and bring across a main road alone, get our own paper work and file it, take deliveries in do receipts put invoices on tpx system, decide what and when we need to order, ie cpl, fast track,  tetrosyl, call I faults and repairs to air machine, Costa machine,,, call help desk to repost pumps fridges air con machines, barriers broke, vr, slits in hoses, and before this need to work on the language barrier (they based in Pakistan), manual till counting newspaper send backs, daily label checks, three times a day reductions, daily counts, waste reports,,cctv footage,  and lot lot more. I love my job but it really stresses me out at times. 8 months with no manager and support from main store, had a new manager last 4 weeks who has been in Pfs 3 times, yes 3 times. And done not a thing..me and my Pfs team get the same rate of pay as some one sitting on check outs that goes ding ding ding all day long.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #90 on: 28-09-19, 09:48PM »
I feel a song coming on...clang, clang, clang went the trolley...ding, ding ,ding went the bell...all join in.. a one, a two, a one, two, three... :)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #91 on: 29-09-19, 11:59AM »
Oh e oh ah ah ding dang walla walla bing bang oh e oh ah ding dang dang walla bing bang  :D  :)

They were the days, real lyrics  8)

Sorry off topic, slow Sunday morning  :-[
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #92 on: 29-09-19, 01:18PM »
Aye they don't write them like they used to  8-)

Now back on topic, otherwise I may have to hit you with rhythm stick  :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #93 on: 29-09-19, 01:36PM »
🤣🤣🤣

Katarn2000

« Reply #94 on: 04-10-19, 06:52AM »
Everyone in Tesco is overpaid for what you do but here is the real reason that there are pay differences: it's to attract people into jobs that they struggle to recruit for or to attract higher quality people into more important roles. It has absolutely nothing to do with how hard the job is or making so called 'management decisions'. It's the influence of the market.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #95 on: 04-10-19, 07:41AM »
Newbie here but oh my god, yes I work in Pfs I am a GA but do more than any manager does let me just give you little list of my duties,,, key holding responsibilities (no manager opens or locks up with us) opening /closing of pumps, alarm settings, customers problems, ctp drive offs ( paper work ridiculous) contact with police, taking daily abuse from customers, we do our own transfers from main store, and bring across a main road alone, get our own paper work and file it, take deliveries in do receipts put invoices on tpx system, decide what and when we need to order, ie cpl, fast track,  tetrosyl, call I faults and repairs to air machine, Costa machine,,, call help desk to repost pumps fridges air con machines, barriers broke, vr, slits in hoses, and before this need to work on the language barrier (they based in Pakistan), manual till counting newspaper send backs, daily label checks, three times a day reductions, daily counts, waste reports,,cctv footage,  and lot lot more. I love my job but it really stresses me out at times. 8 months with no manager and support from main store, had a new manager last 4 weeks who has been in Pfs 3 times, yes 3 times. And done not a thing..me and my Pfs team get the same rate of pay as some one sitting on check outs that goes ding ding ding all day long.

I agree that the PFS job is big but some of what you do is just part of your job role and the rest is not.
There is a check in the safe and legal book to say duty manager opens and closes PFS, is this marked as red or green? If not duty it should be red.
The transfers and shopping do fall under PFS but is it done with leaving colleague alone at PFS, if so this is in breach of policy. As for transporting to PFS it is high value that needs accompanied, that was before tobacco went back to being delivered direct to PFS. However, pushing a full trolley can be hard and as its to PFS it would probably have to cross a road. The store I used to work in changed the shopping times and had trolley boy help, daily. They just sorted a regular time to suit trollies and PFS. It's not up to you to come up with a solution but if you are struggling with the shopping you need to ask for help, a solution.
When the hub does role out all these things have caused issues in stores but managers are paid the extra for the responsibility and accountability. Breach of policy can result in sackings and this lies firmly in managers lap first of all. There has been a change to manning at PFS since you posted, I expect there will be more or different checks in S&L book next time.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #96 on: 04-10-19, 10:55AM »
I will say that working in an esso alliance express fuel site is very different to working at a stand alone PFS, the former definitely deserving of a skills payment.