Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:46PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: HUBba hubba (what is the HUB)  (Read 13225 times)

optout

• Sad Muppet
HUBba hubba (what is the HUB)
« on: 03-12-17, 01:19AM »
any info regarding the HUB would be welcome here.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
Re: HUBba hubba (what is the HUB)
« Reply #1 on: 03-12-17, 01:27AM »
the what??? not another piece of jargon made up by someone in the ivory towers???

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 03-12-17, 11:33AM »
I'm not even sure it's still used, it's a kind of sharepoint/local intranet used in head office for storing/retrieving/sharing documents and information, there was a home page (portal if you like) and one thing of note was the nice jobs were usually to be found to be advertised on there and nowhere else. Not too different to when we had Sharepoint in stores which has also been replaced/upgraded.

DairyLee

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 03-12-17, 11:36AM »
Central security operations where they monitor the cameras in store looking for suspicious activity or theft.  Stores are being linked and monitored where shrink is high in staff only areas, tobacco, C+C etc

ctid

« Reply #4 on: 23-12-17, 11:42AM »
From what I've been told,the hub is used as a spy in the sky to ensure all processes are being followed. I've heard tales of investigations being carried out if waste processes are not seen to be followed, i.e. Manager not seen checking every line against the print, investigated. It is not a performance management tool, rather it is used to check compliance, hence extra cameras. Figures of costing around£10 million mentioned, apparently to be saved on shrink. So despite no security in store, replaced by agency guards at twice the hourly rate,if they turn up, the co can spend money to safeguard what is thrown away. Systems so old they are not fit for purpose and more shrink caused by stock not arriving than walking out of the front under some toe rags jacket £10 m p'd up the wall to tell me I've not checked waste in the right spot. Somebody must be on an earner somewhere.

Snowbird

« Reply #5 on: 15-03-18, 07:32PM »
Does anyone know if this Hub is taking over from existing security guards ? We have been told it's going to cause staff cuts ??

m360

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 15-03-18, 10:58PM »
From what I've been told,the hub is used as a spy in the sky to ensure all processes are being followed. I've heard tales of investigations being carried out if waste processes are not seen to be followed, i.e. Manager not seen checking every line against the print, investigated. It is not a performance management tool, rather it is used to check compliance, hence extra cameras. Figures of costing around£10 million mentioned, apparently to be saved on shrink. So despite no security in store, replaced by agency guards at twice the hourly rate,if they turn up, the co can spend money to safeguard what is thrown away. Systems so old they are not fit for purpose and more shrink caused by stock not arriving than walking out of the front under some toe rags jacket £10 m p'd up the wall to tell me I've not checked waste in the right spot. Somebody must be on an earner somewhere.

This is not the Hub.

The Hub used to be an intranet site for head office colleagues where they could see vacancies, get info and announcements etc.

Has long since been replaced by Our Tesco.

EpyonZero

« Reply #7 on: 26-02-19, 03:24AM »
We’ve just had it installed in our shop, sounds pretty weird how someone’s going to be sat watching us work all the time

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 26-02-19, 07:27AM »
Tesco trusts us. It's a great place to work.

My question is - who is watching those doing the watching?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #9 on: 26-02-19, 05:59PM »
We’ve just had it installed in our shop, sounds pretty weird how someone’s going to be sat watching us work all the time

They wont be, Its incredibly boring watching people work this will be used when there are discrepancies or where there is know to be issues around doing the processes as Tesco want them doing like if you fail an audit.

« Reply #10 on: 26-02-19, 06:16PM »
Dave wont get bored watching the camera. He'll see those doing nothing.

TechSupporter

• Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 26-02-19, 07:43PM »
I just wanted to expand on some of the stuff here which is wrong.

Old school Tesco: CCTV systems purchased from Grattes Bros and able to monitor 8 cameras at any one time, so limited scope to record thing and have footage for investigation. Senior managers would still get requests to investigate things out of the ordinary (Someone doing too many reductions, buying reduced items, 1p sales) and these requests would come from HSC / India so we could look into thing and would include receipt history's but not images and footage.

New school. Security teams reduced, a single huge place in Warrington has been rented out to watch and investigate simple normal transactions. 30 days footage is kept from every single camera turned on in a hub store locally so any manager can watch footage from anything. (Too many breaks, we can just watch the doors from the shop floor to canteen) and 90 days is kept in the hub for investigations.

Using the hub footage information is sent to stores about known criminals and scams, but also Investigations are sent to seniors about staff, pretty much all wrapped up for us to just conduct meetings with pictures and receipts provided.

Waste too much. Sell a 1p item? Buy more than 3 reduced items,. More than 1 person use the same discount card, accidentally give out more change cash / take fake notes or cheat a smart cash drawer, stand at a clocking in/out machine for more than 10mins. Expect to be pulled in.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 26-02-19, 08:26PM »
But while the hub is pulling up people for giving a quid to much change, or accidentally wasting six bags of parsnips not five, you have shoplifters nicking half the meat isle, being abusive to staff who challenge them and laughing knowing full well they can complain if you throw them out. This company does not have a clue does it.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

« Reply #13 on: 26-02-19, 11:01PM »
This will catch those going out for smokes constantly and the managers who can never be found on the shopfloor. Only the real lazy ones will get pulled up. It could also identify cost savings where people are finishing work early and standing about talking.

DefyTheRighteous

« Reply #14 on: 27-02-19, 03:11PM »
To be fair considering the amount of stores there are and how vast the network of CCTV cameras already are across stores, "10 operators" aren't going to be able to being watching and reviewing over every single store.

https://www.tesco-careers.com/jobdetails/360782/
If freedom means anything at all, it is the right to tell other people what they don't want to hear.
George Orwell

TechSupporter

• Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 27-02-19, 03:41PM »
It's 10 per team leader, not in total. They review normal transactions and transactions described above. All in more like 200 at multiple sites

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 28-02-19, 07:20AM »
But while the hub is pulling up people for giving a quid to much change, or accidentally wasting six bags of parsnips not five, you have shoplifters nicking half the meat isle, being abusive to staff who challenge them and laughing knowing full well they can complain if you throw them out. This company does not have a clue does it.
Exactly. This is the problem not just with CCTV but with the Hub - it's all well and good having cameras everywhere being monitored but there's hardly anybody to stop or detain the shoplifters. CCTV has not deterred or stopped theft or crime it's allowed it to increase - hence, despite being the most surveyed city on the planet with more cameras per person than anywhere else, violent knife crime in London has rocketed. The practical upshot being the staff are demonised whilst thieves get away scott free. I've no doubt the success of the Hub is measured in terms of number of incidents detected and/or resolved so watching staff is a much easer way to bump the numbers up - you can tell stores about shoplifters until you are blue in the face but if there's hardly any security cover they're not going to be stopped, particularly in this letigious society where everybody has become risk averse meaning staff will quite rightly not put themselves in danger. Would be interesting to compare how many staff have been pulled in vs the number of customers detained at Self Scan, it's as if Tesco attributes more of its losses to staff than actual thieves but what happens when the staff numbers diminish?

EpyonZero

« Reply #17 on: 05-03-19, 06:53AM »
Has anyone heard of anyone being disciplined yet because of the hub?

« Reply #18 on: 05-03-19, 01:05PM »
This shoplifting business is getting more tempting by the minute.

Bakersdozen

« Reply #19 on: 10-05-19, 07:51PM »
So has anyone got some story's of new hub system's installed into their stores? Alot of hear say and clucking going on at my store. I have heard 20+ sackings on average per store although I believe this to be exaggerated nonsense.

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #20 on: 10-05-19, 10:05PM »
We used to have a guard at staff reception( which had been closed) and all he did was monitor the cameras throughout the store.That obviously wasn't cost-effective, so he was moved to a lectern at the front door where he has less access to the full display.Seems as if the powers that aren't at Head Orifice can't make up their collective minds how to deploy security.
Wouldn't it make sense to just tag all products at source before they reach the stores. Or would that be too clever  (-*-)
If the problem is cost, surely they could just dip into the slush fund aka bonus payments to the board etc :D ;D Its not as if they need the money. They certainly haven't earned it. >:D

NightOwl121

« Reply #21 on: 11-05-19, 09:07AM »
This is two parts of the CCTV policy and it's uses

iv. To assist with investigations into potential breaches of the Tesco Code of Business Conduct, the Tesco
Colleague Privacy Policy, and any other Tesco Policies, Guidelines, and accepted practices that could
lead to disciplinary proceedings against Tesco colleagues; and
v. To assist with investigations into grievance or misconduct claims against Tesco colleagues and/or
contractors.

This is one of the prohibited uses of CCTV use ;

i. Randomly monitoring the performance or whereabouts of colleagues

Seems like an interesting overlap. They can watch to check for "breaches" and "gross misconduct" but not your performance or whereabouts. Seems like you can cover up inappropriate use of CCTV easily  :D

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 12-05-19, 08:49AM »
The Hub is a way of Senior Team managers threatening collegues. 

Fixxer

« Reply #24 on: 13-05-19, 06:43PM »
Had my briefing about the Hub a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure if it's just coincidence but within 3 days of it going live one manager was fired for pocketing alcohol at the end of each shift from camera evidence and another was questioned for taking 2 packets of meat off the shop floor and disappearing into a storeroom with them, turns out they were just removing them from sale as they were damaged.