Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
06-12-19, 02:05PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62732
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 131
Total: 132

Author Topic: Tesco-Booker merger  (Read 3758 times)

stockrotateman

• Smart Arse
Tesco-Booker merger
« on: 24-11-17, 04:08PM »
Just seen an article that was in the grocer about the merger and what the two ceo’s had to say. They both expect the decision on the merger to come through by Boxing Day, one of the ideas they have for the business is the space in extras, to put one thousand best selling catering lines from booker to take up this space. So in my opinion this is the news that will be coming in the new year.

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
Re: Tesco-Booker merger
« Reply #1 on: 24-11-17, 04:56PM »
What space exactly?

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 24-11-17, 05:41PM »
I remember quite a few stores doing bulk saver lines in the late 90's for catering use,didn't go to well then,the range was soon scrapped

stockrotateman

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 24-11-17, 06:07PM »
Gasmonkey, I think it’s the space they have been trying to rent out to Arcadia, Holland/Barrett, and anything else to get the cost of these stores back into profitability, this looks like the way there going after the merger.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 24-11-17, 06:36PM »
Most non food is sold online now - can easily free up floor space.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 24-11-17, 07:41PM »
So pretty much what was discussed in the thread at http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15802.0 where it was concluded that ultimately the deal would not deliver improved value for customers but would instead move sales from small independent outlets and into Tesco - i.e. no real net growth, just more cannibilisation across two businesses chasing growth where little (if any) exists.

We are becoming so prophetic here that perhaps investors would be better reading these threads instead of listening to Drastic :D

If non-food space is reduced or eliminated to do this, which would actually make some sense, then moving GM onto nights will look like a party compared to the carnage to come.

OpShunned

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 24-11-17, 08:04PM »
No growth just synergies  :D

Booker doing really well without Tesco so why would their shareholders agree to this alliance?

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 24-11-17, 08:15PM »
Maybe they should make the board of directors redundant and let VLH suggestion run the company.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #8 on: 24-11-17, 08:47PM »
Please use this topic for any merger discussion http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15802.msg206185#new.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

usualsuspect

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 25-11-17, 08:33AM »
Who owns the shares is more to the point

US

stockrotateman

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 20-12-17, 11:50AM »
Just been on sky that the merger has been given the go ahead, so just the shareholders vote to go now.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 20-12-17, 01:04PM »
We will all be TUPED to Tescooker in the new year burning our chances of enhanced Tesco redundancy. 

At this point watch more notices being handed in.

Cynical me!  >:D

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #12 on: 20-12-17, 02:27PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/20/tescos-37bn-booker-takeover-waved-competition-regulator/

Tesco’s £3.7bn takeover of wholesaler Booker has been fully cleared by the UK’s competition watchdog despite widespread concern that the deal will hand the supermarket an even greater grip on the market.

Sad day  :(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 20-12-17, 02:42PM »
There is going to be changes after Christmas which will effect us all.  >:(

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 20-12-17, 03:19PM »
We will all be TUPED to Tescooker in the new year burning our chances of enhanced Tesco redundancy. 

At this point watch more notices being handed in.

Cynical me!  >:D

Outsourcing to what will be another arm or part of the company is not TUPE or a redundancy situation apparently. Booker staff - T would be TUPE though.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

OpShunned

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 20-12-17, 11:30PM »
If you supply goods to the guy down the road, who you happen to compete with, in the same business type, what would you do?

It was found that independents 'swap suppliers at least once a month'. Is that enough justification to hand Tesco a free hand?

A terrible day for the small franchisers and possibly for Tesco Distribution.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 21-12-17, 12:05AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/20/tescos-37bn-booker-takeover-waved-competition-regulator/

Tesco’s £3.7bn takeover of wholesaler Booker has been fully cleared by the UK’s competition watchdog despite widespread concern that the deal will hand the supermarket an even greater grip on the market.

Sad day  :(
theres another 3.7bn black hole in the pension fund ??? :-X

OpShunned

• Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 21-12-17, 01:24AM »
...and yet Toys r us face winding up if they don't commit 9 million towards its own pension problem.

Tesco can be in a hole for billions, ok so they were allowed to shave off a billion or so because God/or scientists re-calculated that 'we' won't live as long as expected (let's face it, it's the poorest who go first eh?).

Some proper levels of Bull S hit this crowd have,,

« Last Edit: 21-12-17, 01:26AM by OpShunned »