Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-11-18, 04:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81409
  • Total Topics: 1711
  • Online Today: 125
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: staff canteen  (Read 61594 times)

leopard

Re: staff canteen
« Reply #325 on: 14-10-18, 05:17PM »
Our canteen is a joke. You never know from one week to the next if there will be someone in. Hasn't been a weekend manned in years.

Apparently we aren't supposed to have a canteen/meals it has not been taken over (not enough staff in store for it or so we were told).

We have 2 vending machines, 1 permanently broken (a bit like, dishwasher, hot water machine, TV) the other just snacks.

Sounds like my store  :)

VladPutin

• Smart Arse
« Reply #326 on: 15-10-18, 09:50PM »
And mine. Breakfast was available from about 0930. By 1300 the canteen was closed. No food except what was in the three vending machines. One of which doesn't work. 8-)

I bring food from home and stick it in the fridge; that's the only part of the canteen worth using, as far as I'm concerned.

fscer

• Regular Pain
« Reply #327 on: 15-10-18, 11:56PM »
Vending machines empty, coffee machines empty, no bread, cooked 4 sausages for for breakfast and no lunch.... we just had the canteen done up with our refit and it looks destroyed already.

cupcake

« Reply #328 on: 23-10-18, 03:49PM »
Has anyone got any info on what is happening when the hours are reduced in the canteens, can our hours be cut ? Do we have options ? Nothing has been passed on that I know about and it's getting to be a bit of a worry.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #329 on: 23-10-18, 06:54PM »
I would hate to be in staff forum meetings in the future with all the cuts in the canteens.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #330 on: 23-10-18, 07:35PM »
Hi they can't cut your hours unless you agree to it. All we have been told is there will be no service after 3,o'clock. If you have a flexi contract they will move your hours. We are supposed to be getting the area manager in this week to speak to us.

« Reply #331 on: 23-10-18, 08:02PM »
Hot Water machine broken not replaced, Microwave not cleaned, dishes not cleaned, empty drinks machine, broken vending machine (but just give it a kick and you're alright Jack)...

marnie

« Reply #332 on: 28-10-18, 11:58AM »
They are cutting my hours and they say there is nothing I can do about it, refused redundancy because my job is still there.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #334 on: 28-10-18, 10:05PM »
Hi did you TUPE over from Tesco? Do you work for servest?

Omg1

« Reply #335 on: 29-10-18, 09:19AM »
This is everything that was raised when the staff restaurants were contracted out. Just another benefit removed through the backdoor. Why can't they just be honest and tell staff they are losing benefits , I guess that doesn't look good to the press ha ha

Cuddlypup

« Reply #336 on: 29-10-18, 10:14AM »
It would have been better to have closed the restaurants last year and given the staff redundancy, this is closure by the back door. It isn’t just servest doing this it’s all the companies. From what my friend has been told the catering companies partnership with NIC are being terminated. Tesco do not want an evening service and it sounds like there is only enough money for the manager and a few hours per day. The staff who tuped over are the ones in the firing line. If you are in the union you need advice. Everything the catering company tells you ask for it in writing and also ask for their financial reason in writing it might not change much but it will make it more uncomfortable for them.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #337 on: 30-10-18, 08:35AM »
Unsure how busy your canteen is in the evening but mine must take a max of £10 a night serving 3-5 people. No business can make a profit on those returns.

Sad as it is; as Tesco workforce moves to mainly part time short shifts there is no demand for canteens any more. People eat more cheaply at home before or after their shift. Predict canteens will have disappeared within a couple of years from most stores

cupcake

« Reply #338 on: 31-10-18, 11:36AM »
We have been asked to take 10% cut in hours and move on to flexi contract, can the flexi bit be enforced if we don't want it?

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #339 on: 31-10-18, 04:20PM »
you've been ASKED. just say no!!

Cuddlypup

« Reply #340 on: 31-10-18, 04:57PM »
Cupcake, same reply as last time, ask for reason, ask for request in writing and you need the union or acas advice but if you were tuped then the answer would be no.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #341 on: 01-11-18, 10:08AM »
Under TUPE rules your terms and conditions can not be changed without your agreement.  If it suits you to change agree to it if as I suspect it doesn't say no.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #342 on: 01-11-18, 10:31AM »
The problem with TUPE is that it is very ambiguous, your contract of employment is a large part of your T&C's which you carry over to the new employer, unfortunately within that contract could be wording that allows your employer to modify your working days/hours after a period of consultation.

It is not possible to pick which parts of the transferred contract you which to abide by or ignore.

PS: I have not seen a Tesco contract of employment for many years.     
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Gorgonzola

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #343 on: 03-11-18, 02:30PM »
Cupcake.
They cannot force you to move onto a flexible contract.
Check out the following document (Page 23)
EMPLOYMENT RIGHTS ON THE TRANSFER OF AN UNDERTAKING
A guide to the 2006 TUPE Regulations (as amended by the Collective Redundancies and Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) (Amendment) Regulations 2014) for employees, employers and representatives .

They are probably saying that they want to make it fair for everyone but they are not allowed to change your Terms and Conditions to bring them into line with other workers.
Q. Does the scope to vary contracts permit the new employer to harmonise the terms and conditions of the transferred workers to those of the equivalent grades and types of employees they already employ?

A.  No.  According to the way the courts have interpreted the Acquired Rights Directive, the desire to achieve ‘harmonisation’ is by reason of the transfer itself. It cannot therefore constitute ‘an economic, technical or organisational reason entailing changes in the workforce’

solarish

« Reply #344 on: 03-11-18, 06:16PM »
Hi i was tupe over  my wed tea is closing can they make me change hours

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #345 on: 04-11-18, 09:12AM »
If the canteen is closing then yes they can, but only for the hours on the weds, not your whole contracted rota.

It should be going down the road similar to RHRP....but get your rep involved in this....they need to be advising you on the changes...your choices e.g. lose the hours, pick up hours elsewhere, a more up to date rep, on this, such as Gorgonzola, would know what % of hours change would affect a RHRP or redundancy option. You should be having consultation on your options.

DO NOT agree to a change of contract, by going on Flexi hours etc.....
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #346 on: 04-11-18, 09:18AM »
Cupcake

The 10% reduction in hours is also a no!

schui1024

« Reply #347 on: 09-11-18, 12:06PM »
My friends canteen has reduced it's opening hours recently.

They've reduced headcount and those that remained took a 10% cut in hours or more, though quite how everyone will fit in their hours is to be discovered!

The entire process of notification of these changes was quite poor. Zero communication from either the chef manager or the area manager, just rumours and talk.

They've still not had anything in writing about these changes, the reasons for them and they've still not been fully implemented. Understandably the staff are concerned and annoyed that it could have all been avoided if it was run better.

It really shouldn't be difficult to run these places for profit. Better food, clean environment, good hygiene, better service, friendly polite staff (some kitchen staff are very rude to the customers) good food presentation, guidelines for portions and what goes in dishes (ie salads should be the same no matter who makes it) fresh food (really how cheap is fresh salad daily?) and clear menus and pricing so staff know what's available and the cost!

The food was good under Tesco but poorly managed and the costs were too high. Since the TUPE to Elior the food quality has declined, little choice and food sits in the hot plate for hours drying out and they wonder why Tesco staff don't want it. My friend would love to run it for profit but serving good quality food, with feedback forms, advertising the lunch menu at breakfast etc.

Does any one else have issues in their canteen where the book isn't being followed? Where the allergen records are not kept? Where hygiene is totally ignored? (Cross contamination, lack of hand washing, etc)

It could be profitable if there was more planning and better management, keeping record of what has been cooked previously, the ingredients used, what's been bought and when it goes off.

It's frustrating that these issues are so obvious and could be easily rectified, but there is no avenue to raise it with anyone. Part of the problem is the chef manager (he doesn't have much experience and doesn't take recommendations and doesn't listen) but also he doesn't get the right help or advice from the area managers and they don't check on him. It seems no one is interested in making them run effectively or profitably and it appears there is no care in how these places are run.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

cupcake

« Reply #348 on: 09-11-18, 03:01PM »
Our canteen is still staffed mainly from the original Tesco team, we have always maintained the same high standards and only get moans when we stick to the menus that we have been told to follow( we don't follow them and this I believe is the same in other canteens). We have been asked to reduce hours and change to Flexi contracts, refusal means that we no longer have jobs and no redundancy is on offer. There doesn't seem to be much of a choice.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #349 on: 09-11-18, 04:09PM »
Cupcake

Gorgonzola has already answered on your rights on your previous question, in that they cannot change or reduce your hours....look up the relevant section pointed out by Gorgonzola and print it off, then take it to the next meeting and produce it to them....it is not USDAW policy, it is not Tesco policy, it is the law protecting TUPE'd staff.

You have a choice, it is them that have no choice!! "Refusal means you no longer have a job?" Have they actually stated that or just inferred it?? Refuse to change on both contracts and hour reductions, and let's see them dare try to sack you!

Once you change contracts to a new contract and hours, you are giving up your TUPE protection.  :-X :-X