Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-18, 11:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 81046
  • Total Topics: 1707
  • Online Today: 111
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 101
Total: 104

Author Topic: staff canteen  (Read 54681 times)

123ttt

Re: staff canteen
« Reply #300 on: 04-08-18, 06:20PM »
How is everyone’s canteen now? Ours is horrendous the guy who runs it has no clue. The amount of shopping they transfer up, 95% of colleagues now bring there own or go on shop floor won’t be long until this goes all together if everywhere is the same

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #301 on: 04-08-18, 06:43PM »
The amount made in the canteen doesn’t cover the cooks wages. The guy running ours has no clue eithier. Most in our store go out for something or bring in as they also do not like to shop at Tesco. Can’t seen them subsidising a canteen for much longer when hardly used and they dont even want to pay us a fair wage.

Blooming bws

« Reply #302 on: 04-08-18, 11:37PM »
Hi, ours is under cooked chips and beans sometimes, if your lucky one piece of fish, or a cheese pasta woo hoo.  We had the day-canteen manager once and omg the spread but then we woke up lol.  It's what the days leave us really so we buy our own.  The lady who cooks, poor love, is fab knows the score but panics if 3 people want food  ;D

Cuddlypup

« Reply #303 on: 05-08-18, 12:45PM »
Food in ours is nice but double the price we used to pay, half the customers they used to have don’t buy much anymore. I fail to see where any money was saved, T**** are still paying for all equipment, consumables, new clix machines, are probably subsidising food purchases and almost certainly staff costs. Sadly for the tupe Staff if the current catering companies pull out because they aren’t making enough money it’s likely that they will just be tupe’d again to a new company. Disgusting way to treat people.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #304 on: 05-08-18, 01:31PM »
Food in ours is disgusting. We are ashamed to work in canteen. The so called Chef can't cook and spends most of her time smoking.  She smells awful and her attitude and bully boy tactics are now wearing very thin. The latest from her is. Serve st don't want breakfast out till 9 am and no food or chilled products from 2 till 5PM. They get 30% off their shopping from Tosca and what we sell doesn't even cover our wages.  Staff mostly bring there own food in. What a shambles it is!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Choughed

« Reply #305 on: 13-08-18, 08:03PM »
Our canteen has gone from being a well run operation to being like something from Fawlty Towers , The drinks machine dispenses flavourless gunge so we buy our own jars of coffee , Now they are saying that we are not allowed china cups anymore we have to use their horrible polystyrene cups (or bring in our own) . The vending machines don't work half of the time . Now their dish washer has broken down and they say that they are not allowed to cook anything till its fixed , there are two deep sinks in there that they could use but that would be something like work for them and that is something they do not like . Some of the cooks are not very hygienic with the same uniform being worn for at least four or five days without being washed , wiping their nose and not washing their hands , handling raw food then serving cooked food without washing hands . It got so bad this morning that I walked out in disgust . The sooner that it goes back to being company run the better.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #306 on: 13-08-18, 08:46PM »
The hygiene standards are beyond a joke in ours hat; aprons and safety shoes are as rare a sighting as Elvis popping in for lunch.
They either cook the bare minimum (1 fish and a scoop of chips) or have a glut of things that don't go together that's reheated for days.

My personal favourite was the day the meal was baked beans/roast potatoes and beef curry with no sign of even a grain of rice. We have now started bets on what today's weird combination will be.

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #307 on: 15-08-18, 11:18AM »
Our canteen is lucky if it takes 4 quid a night. Why they keep it open is beyond me.

Mystic topaz

« Reply #308 on: 15-08-18, 05:47PM »
Chef manager £20,000
Full time t, leader£15,000
3ga's days £23,000
2ga's nights £12,000 ,
We only take £350 a week ,
Only a matter of time before
the house of cards collapses .

Cuddlypup

« Reply #309 on: 15-08-18, 10:09PM »
Mystic Topaz you forgot all the area managers and their managers driving round doing not a lot.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #310 on: 16-08-18, 08:49AM »
Our canteen standards have improved, to be fair...some of the originals TUPE'd over, their manager is good and approachable...few hiccups with new staff who didn't last mainly as they didn't have a clue. My only criticism being the amount of food put out for 11.30, as we have very few lunching that early...there's no continuos replenishment, no small amounts topped up?? A lot of wastage. If they're not making the money, then I think tesco will use this excuse to close the canteens down...and go the way of the majority of other big retailers who just provide the basics of kettle, toaster, vends etc...and add the canteen to another dept, giving a couple of hours for the dishwashing and cleaning of tables over the lunchtime period.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #311 on: 16-08-18, 05:26PM »
Just an observation and opinion.

The fact that a facility appears to be non profitable doesn’t necessarily mean T will remove the facility. They offloaded the problem to someone else, one of the fundamental reasons that T favour TUPE.

Profitability of Staff facilities are no longer their problem. Honestly they care little if the service is profitable as long as they are not providing the Service.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #312 on: 16-08-18, 05:36PM »
Yes and don't forget the company's that run the unprofitable canteens also hold the cleaning contracts so they may be off setting their losses against profits from that.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #313 on: 16-08-18, 06:05PM »
Ours are two seperate companies. I take the point that being unprofitable is the contractors problem. But the equipment is always breaking down, even after investing in new before the take over, and it's the tesco maintenance team that is always called out ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Poolie Exile

« Reply #314 on: 16-08-18, 06:59PM »
This week our staff have been banned from going in the kitchen area in our canteen for example to rinse out a cup or some fruit. Cutlery and cups they provide are not very clean and often need a rinse before use. A member of staff who used to work in the canteen had to use the sink in the staff toilets to wash some fruit. Surely Elior can't do this? It's not very hygenic either having to use a sink in a toilet rather than the canteen surely? Some tins and some fruit have also been stolen and Elior are blaming us staff. I used to soak any dishes for them if I was doing my own but no more. Now we're all banned and not allowed in there. The standard has dropped since I stopped working in there and very few staff eat in there now.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #315 on: 16-08-18, 07:49PM »
Ours are two seperate companies. I take the point that being unprofitable is the contractors problem. But the equipment is always breaking down, even after investing in new before the take over, and it's the tesco maintenance team that is always called out ???

Funnily enough so are ours, but elior are subbies for mitie, so the whole contract is awarded to  mitie then they sub out the catering to elior.
Also any cost of maintaining equipment provided as a provision of the contract is also offset outside of T Stores.

You may think these slight variations are trivial but they remove costs and overheads from the core profitable side of the business, to Subsiduries that are expected to incur such overheads. Having said that there is even potential for those subsiduries to Broaden their Horizons, so they then become profitable in their own right.
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

solarish

« Reply #316 on: 16-08-18, 08:54PM »
Hi I TUPE over to Elior-  manager, team leader and 3 GA so our canteen is quite good. we cook from fresh our hygiene is very good- hope it stays like this. Does anybody know did they keep the right to have their personal day holiday as well as ordinary holidays

Disappointed 64

« Reply #317 on: 17-08-18, 08:22AM »
No you loose the personal day.

maisie

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #318 on: 11-10-18, 07:51PM »
Hi has anyone who has been TUPE over from Tesco to Servest in staff canteen been told that the hours are being cut? We have been told as from next month our hours will be down. That we will have to work weekends even although we have never been contracted to them. :(

trolleyboy96

• Know All
« Reply #319 on: 11-10-18, 08:42PM »
Ours is servest and it’s loosing a ton of hours, looks like we go from 9-9 to a breakfast only which is pretty poor show tbh.

The Tesco staff transferred across to jobs on counters and fresh the week before the change so none effected, feel a bit for the servest staff as they genuinely seem to enjoy the job the do.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #320 on: 11-10-18, 09:00PM »
Ours is serverst and is an utter joke, its got to the point people are coming to work with things like George Foreman grills and making food themselves.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Cuddlypup

« Reply #321 on: 11-10-18, 10:06PM »
Hi Maisie, they can not just ‘cut’ hours from tupe Staff, though they will tell you differently. Our ladies got the union involved and they can consult with you regarding hours, a bit like right hours, right place. They can then put you into ‘consultation’ but they have to follow the same process for ‘right hours, right place’ which I think is a maximum of 12 weeks. Get a union rep involved and ring usdaw if any of you are still members. A store near us has been closing after lunch for several months, they had virtually no customers in the evening.

« Reply #322 on: 11-10-18, 11:06PM »
They can't even wash cutlery in our canteen

Classy Bird

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #323 on: 12-10-18, 12:13AM »
Our canteen is a joke. You never know from one week to the next if there will be someone in. Hasn't been a weekend manned in years.

Apparently we aren't supposed to have a canteen/meals it has not been taken over (not enough staff in store for it or so we were told).

We have 2 vending machines, 1 permanently broken (a bit like, dishwasher, hot water machine, TV) the other just snacks.

TechSupporter

• Regular Pain
« Reply #324 on: 12-10-18, 08:59AM »
I have nothing to do with our canteen - I think the girls are amazing and do a great job. They aren't always the same