Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-01-20, 05:07AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63674
  • Total Topics: 1130
  • Online Today: 317
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 34
Total: 37

Author Topic: Double Discount  (Read 78659 times)

Rad

• Know All
Re: Double Discount
« Reply #200 on: 09-01-20, 08:52AM »
This proves people will complain about anything.  I know other benefits have been cut but discount card has gone from 1 card to 2 cards to 4 good savings over a year to 13 good savings over a year.
Most stores I know most folk dont have fri sat off.

just curious

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #201 on: 09-01-20, 06:24PM »
Two discount cards / instead of one , and Double discount events are only given to boost falling sales figures and turnover for quarterly periods and year ending etc ,  you end up buying some things  with the alledged twenty per cent discount only to find that at the end of the double discount event they have  gone  on sale anyway at a reduced price if not cheaper ?. you have to realize that Tosco don't do anything for the benefit of the staff - its only for there benefit . :-X :-X
« Last Edit: 09-01-20, 06:28PM by just curious »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #202 on: 09-01-20, 09:42PM »
That's why i used to buy goods on offer with my 20% off.

contentdistance

« Reply #203 on: 10-01-20, 03:30AM »
Will we still be getting our Christmas 'thank you' discount booklets or are they getting scrapped too?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #204 on: 10-01-20, 05:56AM »
Following Jason’s email just checked how much discount I have left - answer over £1,500.00. How is that when the same page states As a benefit of working for Tesco, you can jointly use up to £1000 worth of total discount each year.
Anyone explain that?
It means you can spend  £1500 in store and receive discount before the end of March  Any more than that and you will have run out of discount.

If they have 1500 worth of discount they have to spend 15k at 10% to get it all.

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #205 on: 10-01-20, 08:42AM »
Is it still 10% for the rest of the month?

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #206 on: 10-01-20, 01:07PM »
Yes, still 10% for remainder of year.

some of the comments on Ourtesco I find hard to believe. There's a very common (whingy) theme of:

"not fair that it doesn't include Fri-Sun"
"will we still keep our Xmas vouchers?"

These same vouchers that most of them were whinging about the new coupon policy.

I think we all need to reassess what "benefits" we get from Tesco and how many of them are "guaranteed"

Basically, double discount didn't exist until a few years ago - despite S***bury (as one example) offered it to their staff regularly around Easter and Christmas as well as other times of year.

Even a basic discount (10%) card is not required. Of course, it does help to attract people to work here - but let's face it, if store sales continue to fall/replaced with online - then at some stage Tesco will once again want to reduce staff numbers - so no need to incentivise for new staff or even to keep current staff.

And of course, as others have said on here - any "extra" that Tesco give us is generally for business reasons - so, clearly Mon-Thurs are quieter days in store than Fri-Sun - therefore, if they can spread colleague spending to those days, it will mean a reduced need for staff hours/overtime at the weekends anyway!!
So whatever they give in one hand, they take in the other.

Anyway - as has been mentioned on here many times, we all have a choice - work for Tesco or don't. Shop in Tesco or don't.

Of course, the recent announcement of the NLW increasing to £8.72 per hour from April means that for around six and a half months, Tesco will be paying 28p (3.2%) above the NLW.

And in theory, if the NLW increases again by much the same rate - let's say to £9.25 per hour from April 2021, then following our additional 30p increase this November, then Tesco will be paying just 5p/hour more than the absolute legal minimum.

Unless of course, Tesco change something in our "agreed" two year deal.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #207 on: 10-01-20, 01:50PM »
I honestly don't see why Tesco doesn't go full Mike Ashley and just do zero hour contracts and living wage/minimum wage for those under 25, nobody will quit and the customers won't stop shopping.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #208 on: 10-01-20, 02:30PM »
I disagree, from what I can see in our place, Tesco have a massive problem retaining staff.  They keep employing all these youngsters and while some are really good, quite a few of them don't turn up for shifts, or phone in sick and a lot of them are late when they do turn up.  Let's face it, beyond the hourly rate, there isn't anything there for us, not unless you want to go into management.  No bonus, no performance related pay, no promotion, no incentive.  Zero hour, minimum wage isn't going to encourage anyone.  It's such a demoralizing company to work for.   

randomworker

« Reply #209 on: 10-01-20, 02:32PM »
I honestly don't see why Tesco doesn't go full Mike Ashley and just do zero hour contracts and living wage/minimum wage for those under 25, nobody will quit and the customers won't stop shopping.

Because to your disapointment Tesco work within a competitive market and as such will pay a certain rate and give benefits reflective of that market place and what they feel as required for the business overall.

I know I know you want Tesco to be the worst of the worst so you can come on here and feel even more self-righteous when condemning anyone that is in a manager role and on D. Lewis  8-)

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #210 on: 10-01-20, 02:40PM »
Dave Lewis can easily give Boris Johnson a "gift" and magically a workfare program will appear, from which he can acquire shelf stackers paid for by H.M Taxpayer. There is no shortage of unemployed people or students that will apply to Tesco regardless of its pay package.

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #211 on: 10-01-20, 02:58PM »
Someone’s put 20p in again....off it goes

randomworker

« Reply #212 on: 10-01-20, 02:59PM »
Dave Lewis can easily give Boris Johnson a "gift" and magically a workfare program will appear, from which he can acquire shelf stackers paid for by H.M Taxpayer. There is no shortage of unemployed people or students that will apply to Tesco regardless of its pay package.

Pointless comment other than to reinforce your unhealthy obsession with D. Lewis and your hopeful desire for Tesco to reach the bottom of the pile.

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #213 on: 10-01-20, 03:04PM »

Pointless comment other than to reinforce your unhealthy obsession with D. Lewis and your hopeful desire for Tesco to reach the bottom of the pile.

Agree 👍 sad really isn’t it

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #214 on: 10-01-20, 03:29PM »

You're not only not contributing any constructive argument to my comment that Tesco can indeed get away with offering worse terms and conditions due to the basic economic principle of supply and demand but also resorting to personal attacks.
« Last Edit: 10-01-20, 03:31PM by NightAndDay »

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #215 on: 10-01-20, 04:54PM »
The comment about taking people from the dole was that not done before by T or something similar until the press got hold of the story and the project was dropped, also i believe some years ago the T went to poland to get drivers for the hgvs as they were cheaper (this is what we were told by the other drivers that were left.)

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #216 on: 10-01-20, 05:45PM »
It was, they and many others dropped out of the governments ideological scheme due to protests by a bunch of Guardian reading lefties, that still doesn't mean the whole exercise wasn't beneficial to the bottom line while in place though

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #217 on: 10-01-20, 09:35PM »
I disagree, from what I can see in our place, Tesco have a massive problem retaining staff.  They keep employing all these youngsters and while some are really good, quite a few of them don't turn up for shifts, or phone in sick and a lot of them are late when they do turn up.  Let's face it, beyond the hourly rate, there isn't anything there for us, not unless you want to go into management.  No bonus, no performance related pay, no promotion, no incentive.  Zero hour, minimum wage isn't going to encourage anyone.  It's such a demoralizing company to work for.

Its how market looks like now.
15% discount is better but I think it's introduced to make our job more attractive.  On the other hand our core pay is too low so people will jump the ship if they can get 50p more p/h.

Every little penny helps.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #218 on: 11-01-20, 08:50PM »
Most people jump ship due to low hours on basic contracts and massively varying amounts of OT. I cant see a extra 5% discount 4 days a month making much of a difference

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #219 on: 12-01-20, 07:47PM »
Just had a thought so we no longer get the paydays offer books, not the end of the world to be honest but an extra discount Monday to Thursday after payday, now it does make you wonder will the Xmas voucher books go the same way as the payday ones, given we now get the additional discount every pay period.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #220 on: 13-01-20, 08:40PM »
looks like I will just have to do my shopping on the thursday after payday

NightOwl121

« Reply #221 on: 14-01-20, 03:53AM »
Most people jump ship due to low hours on basic contracts and massively varying amounts of OT. I cant see a extra 5% discount 4 days a month making much of a difference

It's a similar level of savings overall but works out a bit better with regards to spreading the savings over the year. Previously you had 3/4 double discount events depending on sales performance. Let's say you spent £100 every 4 weeks in Tesco.

For 3 double discounts in one year ;

£100 minus 10% = £90. £90 * 10 pay periods with no extra discount = £900 . The 3 pay periods with 20% = £80 * 3 = £240. Grand total = £1140.

For 4 double discounts in one year ;

£100 minus 10% = £90. £90 * 9 pay periods with no extra discount = £810. The 4 pay periods with 20% = £80 * 4 = £320 . Grand total = £1130.

With the new scheme , 13 pay periods with £100 spend and 15% off = £85 * 13 = £1105

At the end of day you still need to shop for groceries. The staff discount usually helps to make Tesco's prices match that of their rivals. I did notice a lot of products would increase in price the day double discount used to start. This was prevalent with alcohol. Often worked out cheaper taking the product with 10 percent off rather than buying with the 20 percent.

An example from when I worked BWS was Bailey's 1ltr . It was on offer at £12 before double discount started . When the double discount started the price was increased to £20. I don't like Bailies but I remember explaining to staff who thought they were getting a bargain , that Tesco was ripping them off. I hope they don't Jack prices up during these 15% periods 💩

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #222 on: 15-01-20, 12:13AM »
Before last double discount , Bailiescwas on offer at £12 , then day of double discount went down to £10 and we could buy it for £8  so not true . Yes some offers end the week double discount starts but that would happen regardless.

NightOwl121

« Reply #223 on: 15-01-20, 02:53AM »
Don't recall stating it was the latest Bailies offer . This happened the Xmas before when I worked BWS. Easy misunderstanding  :thumbup: