Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:06AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60799
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Store Transfer...  (Read 16963 times)

Equinox

• VLH Supporter
Store Transfer...
« on: 08-06-17, 06:06PM »
Hi all.

Just a quick question - What's the best way to go about a store transfer? I've worked at Tesco for a year - my manager and team members no longer care, the manager runs several different depts and everyone is fed up, really wanting out. Shall I apply directly online, ring their store or discuss with someone else? (Pref not my manager) We no longer have a PM due to redundancy.
Also, what chances do I stand applying for a Shift Leader role in an Express? (Currently work at an Extra) Because this is my closest available vacancy.

Thanks for any advice!!! :)

Princess2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Store Transfer...
« Reply #1 on: 08-06-17, 06:45PM »
You apply for all vacancies online. They are based on things like length of service, whether you are on options, a first wider, a rep etc.

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #2 on: 10-06-17, 09:59AM »
If you do manage to get a transfer, there are no guarantees that your new job wont be cut or hours reduced.

The hours you start with WILL be messed with when the next quartly heatmap arrives and Wrong Hours Wrong Place starts up again.

Sometimes better the devil you know..

« Last Edit: 10-06-17, 10:00AM by Mr Grumpy »

NorthWave

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 10-06-17, 11:45AM »
You apply for all vacancies online. They are based on things like length of service, whether you are on options, a first wider, a rep etc.
:( Really ? Are you sure about the bases they have ? Do you know there are people working as managers which Tesco does not know they exist ? Applying online does not mean that even if I am called for an interview does not mean that I get the job even if I have good references, why, because if they can get staff working for the competition or already have worked in Tesco or students having a good time ( not all ) to get some money doing nothing or if you have driving license and you are friend of a Tesco friend you may have the opportunity to get some extra money as a DotCom driver, well let me stop I am only just giving a small illustration of what can be done. 8)

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 10-06-17, 12:17PM »
Equinox, A word of warning - avoid the Express Shift Leader role at all costs. Its like nothing you've ever experienced in a main store - a thoroughly horrendous job you will very quickly come to hate. Stay where you are until you find a better option.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 10-06-17, 01:15PM »
From what I have seen and been told of the Shift Leader role, I would avoid it like the plague. My last store has gone through 6 Shift Leaders since the role was rolled out in September ( with the last one stepping down last week). That says it all really.
« Last Edit: 10-06-17, 01:16PM by Equalizer87 »
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

memberx

« Reply #6 on: 10-06-17, 04:54PM »
From what I have seen and been told of the Shift Leader role, I would avoid it like the plague. My last store has gone through 6 Shift Leaders since the role was rolled out in September ( with the last one stepping down last week). That says it all really.

What is so bad about being a shift leader?

Princess2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 10-06-17, 06:27PM »
Tornado, not sure what you are getting at. Yes there is favouritism and who knows whom etc. I simply meant that the internal transfer process is done via online application and there is specific criteria you get pointed awarded for. Applicant with highest points is *supposed* to get the job.

Aussieboy

« Reply #8 on: 10-06-17, 06:29PM »
Nothing just depends what type of worker you are Express is best suited to staff who want a lot of variety in work good thing is you learn different things but it is fast pace.
Day goes quicker.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 10-06-17, 07:20PM »

Just about everything, from what I've seen, SL having f***  all in the way of staff to get the job done, harassed whilst not in work over work related issues, blamed for someone else's mistake. And from what I've heard ( especially from an SL that just stood down)  bullying by managers who can't be arsed doing any work themselves, backstabbing from the other SL's, work/life balance screwed beyond belief (as this SL had parental duties imposed on them by a court which were not respected ). And not to mention the c**p pay for what is a Managerial role, why take all the stress for a few extra quid, when you can just come in and go home for slightly less.

Then again this is what I have seen in my old store, but it's enough for me to to say "f*** that!"
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 10-06-17, 08:31PM »

A totally c**p job - period. This format is chronically under resourced no matter which store you work in, so you'll always be running around like a headless chicken trying to get everything done. You'll never have enough time to do anything properly, so expect a regular kicking from the SM and fellow colleagues rubbishing your work to make themselves look good. You'll never get a full break, and are often expected to do a couple of hours unpaid work on top of your normal shift. Lates into earlies are the norm, and you'll sometimes be expected to work 6/7 days a week because there's absolutely no cover for holidays and sickness absence. Never switch your phone off or plan anything in your down time, as your unofficially "on call" if they want you to come in. Please understand, these stores are trading 16/17 hours a day and operate on a shoestring budget, so you'll nearly always feel stressed, harassed and tired out. The pay is only slightly above a C.A, and there's no chance of promotion now. Shocking job, truly horrendous.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 10-06-17, 08:35PM »
@ Teddybonkers

100% agreed.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 10-06-17, 09:01PM »
The Shift Leader has to be the worse job in the business

Only £10 per hour
On call
No shift to lead
Having to do lots of jobs badly
Getting c**p off a SM and other colleagues
..........................................................................................

I am just waiting on the sell offs due to the Booker take over and some of these roles even being scrapped

renault1

« Reply #13 on: 11-06-17, 09:44AM »
Anyone know the time scale involved after applying online.  I applied for two vacancies online 3 weeks ago, heard nothing.  I go shopping regularly at store where I applied and know a few people, made enquiries to be told there are lots of vacancies available.

The only thing I can think is that both stores are working together as the store where I am at the moment are at rock bottom with staff shortages.  Putting 2 and 2 together, am I getting 4 >:(

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 11-06-17, 01:33PM »
No mate you don't get it. Although there may be vacancies on paper, they're unlikely to recruit anyone until it becomes physically impossible to cover the trading hours. Never mind about customer service, shop standards or staff welfare, you muddle on to keep the payroll green.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 11-06-17, 06:26PM »
Agreed, Tesco have to be "forced" to recruit, in other words when the job routines, the system breaks down and man power is well below critical.

I have seen it in too many stores that are chronically under manned.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 13-06-17, 07:09AM »
No mate you don't get it. Although there may be vacancies on paper, they're unlikely to recruit anyone until it becomes physically impossible to cover the trading hours. Never mind about customer service, shop standards or staff welfare, you muddle on to keep the payroll green.

Do you know that the wages measure changed, ages ago. They are no longer allowed to save up money for Christmas and have targets both sides. They will never get a green if underspend.

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 13-06-17, 11:58AM »
Do you know that the wages measure changed, ages ago. They are no longer allowed to save up money for Christmas and have targets both sides. They will never get a green if underspend.

Get real mate - maybe on paper, but that's not the reality. I've never come across a SM yet, who doesn't keep it to the bare minimum often at the expense of their hard working staff. That's one of the reasons why Express is the so profitable.

Poolie Exile

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 01-09-17, 06:37PM »
I've been trying to get transfer since April with no luck. I've spoken to my manager and personnel but nowt is happening. I've even been to the store I am wanting to go to and no joy there. In desperation I've even applied on the Joe public website and still nothing. Delivered a letter by hand to their confidential office and you've guessed it got nowhere! Been told that all jobs there are being kept for the canteen staff to apply for before anyone else? ( off one of the staff on the shopfloor) My store desperate for staff as so many are leaving and all replaced by students so I've a feeling they don't want to let me go? Been told only personnel can sort this out but I never see mine as I work different days. I shop at the store I want to transfer to and I ask when I go in but the personnel there is either off or busy!!I've spoken to more staff and managers at the store I want to move to but no joy. what do I do any advice? I'm wanting to work permanent nights at the store I want a transfer to

DJS1949

« Reply #19 on: 03-09-17, 11:56AM »
The shift leader job was supposed to be the same as Team Leader role.But in express this is defiantly not the case more and more managers jobs are being pushed onto shift leaders.The staffing levels are crazy someone goes sick no one replaces them 1 and 1 is becoming the norm in my shop especially after 6 at night.Managers are buddy store managers for other shops for holidays and sickness leaving there own stores under managed. Ex deputy managers who stepped down through no fault of there own are having to pick up wages and end of week it's not right shift leaders are leaving and stepping down as the job is not worth the problems you deal with daily.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 03-09-17, 12:15PM »
And this is replicated just about everywhere.

I said it to many I know who wanted to take the SL role and said to them it's  not worth it.  A year later every single one has stepped down or left the company.

In my opinion you'd have to be mad to take that role for rate of pay.

DJS1949

« Reply #21 on: 03-09-17, 12:30PM »
Your right Equalizer the company has become a big joke we are doing more and more for less money than before with all the cuts to anything they can take away. Routines are a shambles everybody worrying about shrink and KPIs. I've come to the conclusion Tesco are not interested in anything or anybody only the tills clicking over. It's just constant greed Christmas stuff in the shop already give customers a break and put them things out closer to the event it won't lose us money people will still buy the same amount.

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 03-09-17, 05:09PM »
Express TL   :thumbup:

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #23 on: 03-09-17, 05:15PM »
Administrator Comment Topic "Store Transfer", please.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #24 on: 03-09-17, 09:54PM »
Poolie Exile, have you put a letter to your PM, in their pigeon hole?

It sounds like the other store isn't interested in employing you, though.