Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:44PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 14023 times)

Long gone

Re: Social Media
« Reply #75 on: 03-11-19, 10:13PM »
@Long gone..it looks like the standard of MM in your store is about par for the course for Tosco. :( :( :(
[/quote
It would laughable if it was from an outsiders point of view but the colleague ultimately walked out due to this incident and being made to feel the guilty petty for obeying health and safety laws

Whistleblower

« Reply #76 on: 03-11-19, 10:29PM »
health and safety  laws in tesco management speak = ignore it and only use it  when its to your own advantage
               the person who has been disciplined should get himself a good lawyer and maybe go to the local paper and tell them his side of the story

Whistleblower

« Reply #77 on: 03-11-19, 10:53PM »
in 2007 at barnet tesco s they were fined a total of £119,000 for fire safety breaches, £20.000 for failing to keep emergency exits clear, and another £20,000 for failing to keep a emergency route clear

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #78 on: 03-11-19, 10:56PM »
What actually happens to the SM when the store receives those sorts of fines, I believe when it comes to health and safety in store the SM has the A under the RACI chart for it.

Long gone

« Reply #79 on: 04-11-19, 12:07AM »
The odds of any major fire breaking out were obviously slim but if there was a fire in a certain area of the store and the only way out was those exits that were covered then Tesco would have been on all the major news channels and a massive investigation would have been undertaken.. It’s quite scary to think about actually in hindsight the implications of what a senior manager and line managers deemed to be a “reasonable request” could have done to peoples lives.
This is why I despise a lot of the management , they think that because they operate in a supermarket that they hold all the power and that their individual store is exempt from any rules or regulations. It’s a case of, “do as you are told “

Long gone

« Reply #80 on: 04-11-19, 12:18AM »
in 2007 at barnet tesco s they were fined a total of £119,000 for fire safety breaches, £20.000 for failing to keep emergency exits clear, and another £20,000 for failing to keep a emergency route clear

I’ve just looked at that, it looked like there was a minor fire which colleagues put out but fire brigade came out to investigate as alarms were triggered then they sent a team the next day as they were concerned to investigate the premises and discovered the breaches that could have literally killed people if there was a major fire, god forbid that were to ever happen. This is what needs to happen, they ought to choose random stores and have fire wardens visit unannounced. The problem with that though is it would be like when the area manager was lurking around. Our store would be a shithole and look like a bomb had gone off yet they would get a call from a nearby store saying the area manager was “in the area and to be prepared for a visit” and management would run downstairs form their 5 hour coffee break and get every member filling and tidying so that it was immaculate and looked like it was the best store ever when the queen or king arrived.  I’ve no doubt stores would ring up and say” be careful fire warden is on his way get the exits and corridors clear ASAP” in a similar scenario
I feel they should give more powers to staff to report any health and safety breaches without fear of losing their job or being sidelined for future promotions etc  It’s always been mentioned to us that any thing reported that gives a “negative “ impact in the store qualifies as instant dismissal. It’s laughable it really is

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #81 on: 04-11-19, 12:25AM »
why didn't the colleague just refuse to go to the office to be disciplined? does it have the exact reason why written down in the notes. if i was him i'd contact the local paper at the very least and give them my side of the story. these managers are the ones who need disciplining and maybe even dismissed

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #82 on: 04-11-19, 12:31AM »

I’ve just looked at that, it looked like there was a minor fire which colleagues put out but fire brigade came out to investigate as alarms were triggered then they sent a team the next day as they were concerned to investigate the premises and discovered the breaches that could have literally killed people if there was a major fire, god forbid that were to ever happen. This is what needs to happen, they ought to choose random stores and have fire wardens visit unannounced. The problem with that though is it would be like when the area manager was lurking around. Our store would be a shithole and look like a bomb had gone off yet they would get a call from a nearby store saying the area manager was “in the area and to be prepared for a visit” and management would run downstairs form their 5 hour coffee break and get every member filling and tidying so that it was immaculate and looked like it was the best store ever when the queen or king arrived.  I’ve no doubt stores would ring up and say” be careful fire warden is on his way get the exits and corridors clear ASAP” in a similar scenario
I feel they should give more powers to staff to report any health and safety breaches without fear of losing their job or being sidelined for future promotions etc  It’s always been mentioned to us that any thing reported that gives a “negative “ impact in the store qualifies as instant dismissal. It’s laughable it really is
instant dismissal for reporting something illegal? company wouldn't stand a chance at a tribunal!

Long gone

« Reply #83 on: 04-11-19, 12:42AM »
This happened over 2 years ago but I wanted peoples opinions on the matter as I’ve always believed what happened was disgusting , the person in question has another job now as far as I’m aware and is well clear of anything to do with Tesco but it just frightens me what could possibly be happening in other stores that gets unannounced because of management bully tactics

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #84 on: 04-11-19, 12:46AM »
f*** bullying tactics! if i knew i was in the right then i would fight them all the way >:(

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #85 on: 04-11-19, 09:40AM »
Lightning a fire log on the shop floor and hanging stockings above it.

No 😂😂 warehouse rammed full of stock, 2 massive deliveries came so management asked colleague to take a load of pallets from warehouse to make room and line them in front of fire doors on shop floor, completely blocking access to the doors. Easy enough job to do, but if there was a fire then no one would have been able to get out. Colleague refused, marched up to get a disciplinary and another colleague fulfilled request. That’s when the complaints started after customers and council member saw doors blocked completely
There are ways of dealing with overstock, 1st of all FILL the F****G STORE, then condence overstock in smart way, pallets of crisps could be stacked on top of other products /like beer:).....use corridors to line up some stock....Management there is not cleaver, cant manage the store. Issues arrising and then booom BIG PANIC and stupid ideas come to head.

Second, current year our warehouse is earlier that usual overloaded (xmas, hallowen, normal stock on pallets, ofds).... is it everywhere now like that and on top of that no one to work it.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #86 on: 04-11-19, 11:59AM »
Reminds me of our dot.com area before it was extended when we had fire doors next to the doors to the loading bay.  Even when the loading bay doors were locked over night it was only by bolts and thumb-latches which did not need a key to open.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

genome

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #87 on: 04-11-19, 12:15PM »
This happened over 2 years ago but I wanted peoples opinions on the matter as I’ve always believed what happened was disgusting , the person in question has another job now as far as I’m aware and is well clear of anything to do with Tesco but it just frightens me what could possibly be happening in other stores that gets unannounced because of management bully tactics

If he had his wits about him surely he could have took them to the cleaners for that?