Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
05-12-19, 10:35PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62727
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 108
Total: 114

Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 13885 times)

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
Re: Social Media
« Reply #25 on: 11-06-17, 08:51PM »
I have seen loads of youngsters get into trouble because they had anyone who asked on their friends list and they got reported for something or other normally along with copious amounts of screenshots and print outs of conversations.

Ask yourself how many people you work with are your actual mates or how many are simply people you spend a few hours with?

In my case I dont have mates at work with the exception of 1 person and he has left the company now.

As for managers on your mates list LMAO these are the people who will stab your granny to get a decent review and blame you for stuff they did along with get amnesia when it suits.

stab your granny?? don't you mean their own granny??

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 11-06-17, 08:57PM »
my facebook friend list is reserved for people i can trust !!!

Moonboy57

« Reply #27 on: 10-08-17, 03:28AM »
It's not just managers that might stab you in the back!
I had a Let's Talk because l was posting Union information about Bumblebee and suggesting ways that might help us. He didn't like what l was suggesting as it would have affected him and promptly took selective screen shots of my comments which were taken out of context and was promptly hauled up for a Let's Talk!
Nothing of offence was said or anything that could be classed as being bullying or of harassment but there you go!
As a union rep and trying to help and advise my colleagues in a very difficult time with Bumblebeel was appalled.
I feel he should have been there too?

fargone

• Smart Arse
« Reply #28 on: 10-08-17, 06:08PM »
There's nothing private on the internet.

Carparkpothole

« Reply #29 on: 10-08-17, 06:22PM »
What is Bumblebee?

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #30 on: 10-08-17, 10:24PM »
Bumblebee is the name of the new dot.com routing software.  Let us just say that it appears to have teething problems.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #31 on: 10-08-17, 11:26PM »
Another fine F up

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #32 on: 17-11-17, 02:23PM »
Help needed !
Someone outside of work posted a video of a colleague on Facebook and tagged her in it . In the video she says something religiously offensive . She did not know the video was put on Facebook,  she did not like it or comment on it and once she knew it was on she asked the person who put it up to untag  her . She is not in uniform in the video and nowhere on her profile does it say where she works .
 Someone in work saw it and reported her to management , it's been through investigatory and is going to disciplinary does she have a defence as she has had nothing to do with it going on social media tia

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #33 on: 17-11-17, 03:06PM »
I wouldn't have thought so as there is nothing identifying her as a Tesco colleague, though maybe a talking to would be expected but it's Tesco after all so anything could happen.
I knew a member of staff who had  a fight with a customer on site whilst off duty but still kept their job.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #34 on: 17-11-17, 03:17PM »
I can't understand why it is going to disciplinary as she has no control over it going on social media . Does everything that goes to disciplinary result in disciplinary action or is it more to scare you ?

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #35 on: 17-11-17, 05:59PM »
Help needed !
Someone outside of work posted a video of a colleague on Facebook and tagged her in it . In the video she says something religiously offensive . She did not know the video was put on Facebook,  she did not like it or comment on it and once she knew it was on she asked the person who put it up to untag  her . She is not in uniform in the video and nowhere on her profile does it say where she works .
 Someone in work saw it and reported her to management , it's been through investigatory and is going to disciplinary does she have a defence as she has had nothing to do with it going on social media tia

Person could stroll about in a N*** uniform outside of work if they want as long as it is not tagged into a tesco website then it has bugger all to do with the company.

optout

• Sad Muppet
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

optout

• Sad Muppet

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 18-11-17, 04:13AM »
It's an interesting topic.  What if an employee says on social media that their employer is $hit but it fits the existing reputation of the employer being $hit?  Sports Direct springs to mind.  And if truth/accuracy is a defence, I would think there is huge weight of anecdotal evidence about Tesco on this site.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #39 on: 18-11-17, 02:47PM »
Problem being it's still bringing the company into disrepute. If you want to reveal the truth about your employer (for example Tesco ), an anonymous dossier with supporting evidence would be a better way to go about it. If it's news worthy you would have no trouble getting media coverage, if it was your intent.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #40 on: 18-11-17, 02:52PM »
The point here is though , the colleague said nothing about employer , there is nothing to suggest who employer is and she had no knowledge of it going on social media but they are going to disciplinary ! I can't find anything on line about something being put on social media without your consent and if who is taking the disciplinary is a benchmark , this is looking VERY serious.

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #41 on: 18-11-17, 03:08PM »
There is no rule, contractual term or policy in Tesco of which this employee is in breach, should not therefore be referred to disciplinary, simples!

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 18-11-17, 03:12PM »
I agree however management obviously don't .

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
« Reply #43 on: 18-11-17, 05:51PM »
As long as your social media post does not bad mouth Tosco and as long as you are not wearing your company issue uniform in photo or video there is He Haw they can do about it

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #44 on: 18-11-17, 06:07PM »
The point here is though , the colleague said nothing about employer , there is nothing to suggest who employer is and she had no knowledge of it going on social media but they are going to disciplinary ! I can't find anything on line about something being put on social media without your consent and if who is taking the disciplinary is a benchmark , this is looking VERY serious.

This pretty well typifies everything that is wrong with Tesco. You get people at work that drive a horse and cart through for example Safe and Legal checks and this is reported to MM time and again and nothing is done about it, then again a driver was reported for drinking whilst driving a Dot.com van on loads of occasions once again this was ignored by MM. Also another colleague was driving into work absolutely rat-arsed, so much so that they could barely speak, also reported time and again and also ignored by MM. then low and behold some-one posts some innocuous comments and posts on social media and said comments had nothing to do with Tosco and there is a full blown investigation launched by MM in which loads of colleagues were hauled into meetings which took up many hours of time which could have been better used by everyone just getting on with the jobs they are paid to do. In all of my many years at work I have never encountered such inept Management and the most inept ones are mostly Senior Team and above, you know the most highly paid people at work :question: :question: :question: :question:
The worlds me lobster

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
« Reply #45 on: 18-11-17, 06:26PM »
All levels of management seem to have swallowed the I know it all pill. If they don’t know how to answer your question they go into full BS mode which I always find quite funny you can almost see them making it up as they go along the well rehearsed party line.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #46 on: 18-11-17, 08:05PM »
Have them quote the following case, and urge their managers to contact the tesco legal department before they make fools of themselves.

Smith Vs Trafford Housing trust 2012

here is a link to the full judgement

https://www.employmentcasesupdate.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed13900

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 18-11-17, 11:39PM »
A few years ago when under a restructure we got told by SM all our social media accounts had to be made public until the restructure  and consultation process was complete and that was a legal requirement to ensure nobody was communicating about it online, told him to stop being so silly and wished him good day when he told me, some colleagues actually thought he was being honest.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Long gone

« Reply #48 on: 30-10-19, 03:08AM »
Hello all, I tried to find a topic relating to my issue and this is the only one.
I'm writing this on behalf of a staff member so the information I post here is from what I have heard and seen with my own eyes and from fellow colleagues. I will refer to this member of staff as ga for simplicity and this is a social media issue so I would love to know fellow colleagues thoughts on this one.

Ga was asked to perform a job from senior team and 2 line managers and refused to do the job. Senior team and management once again asked ga to do the job and they refused. Ga was marched up to managers office and given an instant written warning for refusal to carry out a “reasonable request” . I won’t say what the job was , the job itself was fairly easy and a job anyone could do, but the consequences and ramifications of what would happen if something went wrong in store could easily lead to serious injury of colleagues and customers or even worse the deaths of customers and colleagues, the odds of this happening were low but it’s still entirely plausible.

While the ga was getting the warning upstairs, another ga did the job instead. The Ga who got the warning walked out of store as their shift was over and so did the senior team member ( 3 hours earlier than they were supposed to finish as store manager was off that week).

20 minutes later customers were taking photographs of what the other ga had done and unfortunately for the store a member of the local council was in shopping and reported the incident. The man also went to the desk and asked to speak to management and who was responsible for requesting the job to be done. A line manager took the abuse and was told that the store would be fined indefinitely if it happened again and it was breaking the law and human rights. Line manager lied and claimed it was a new starter that did the job and was misunderstood and it wouldn’t happen again.

We have a specific group on social media which only contains members of the store and managers as well. I think rather foolishly the ga wrote in the group mentioning that management had asked them to do this job and that they wanted some clearance on what was acceptable practice and what wasn’t.  In all fairness it was worded very well and it didn’t criticise anyone, it was merely wrote in a way that the ga was asking a question and wanted some advice.  As the Ga that wrote in the group didn’t know health and safety had visited as they left from their shift before they were there, the comments were all in favour of the ga for doing the right thing to refuse and that health and safety had come down on management like a tonne of bricks and that they were to get a colossal Fine  if it were to happen again. The post was eventually deleted ( by management I assume ) and the ga was given a final written for “abusing social media, and breaking the Tesco social media policy” even though the group was created for staff to ask questions and is only visible to staff members at this particular store.

This ga quit the next day and the company lost (in my opinion) a seriously dedicated member of staff who always did the best they could, after speaking to someone I know in regards to what they were asked to do I was told the following.
1.ga was right to refuse the job as the job was illegal
2. If ga was “told they HAD to do the job “they could refuse
3.if ga did the job and in the event of the worst scenario, ga could face a prison sentence and store manager also face prosecution for gross negligence. Store would be fined or s*** down
4.ga could do the job but only with written consent to confirm that senior team and line managers had requested that ga carry out the job under their orders ( therefore protecting ga from prosecution if worst scenario happened and line managers/senior couldn’t lie and say that the ga did it under their own volition)

So most arguments side with ga yet Tossco management “manage out” a great staff member for basically having common sense and understanding health and safety ( even though the post in the group could be used against the GA despite the fact it wasn’t even remotely a bad post)

What could the ga have done to protect themselves further as I think a final written for doing the right thing was completely out of order. I also think management thought the ga had rung the council about the incident but that’s not true as stated before the council member was just in shopping minding his own business and I heard the conversation between manager and him once he noticed what had gone on  and he was not happy.

Jondoe2016

« Reply #49 on: 30-10-19, 06:45AM »
Help needed !
I’m sorry but anyone who says anything religiously offensive doesn’t think that could have negative impacts regardless? There is no need for anyone to be offensive to anyone’s religion or race or whatever. If you are willing to be inconsiderate toward something like that then it’s on you in my mind. Anyone who knows you, who knows the true you on account of comments like that will always bite you in the behind. If customers see that and they know you work for Tesco, that could impact the customer loyalty. In this day and age, you need to be mindful of what you say and where. If you don’t, then you get what you get.

Administrator Comment 2 yr old post Nov 2017, situation sorted by now I would think. Nomad