Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
13-10-19, 11:14PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61562
  • Total Topics: 1080
  • Online Today: 183
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 134
Total: 139

Author Topic: Podium Monkey's  (Read 12173 times)

snowyowl

• Smart Arse
Podium Monkey's
« on: 19-05-17, 04:23PM »
I am curious about these "podium monkey" positions being offered at Depots. It seems from what little I know about them they are offering successful candidates the opportunity to do a Team Managers job (greatly helping the cull of Managers) along with all the responsibilities of a Team Manager for an additional £6.00 a week?
Is it me? why would anybody consider this offer following Tosco's open display of how little they think of their hard working, long serving, loyal staff?
I'm sure they must have no idea of how unhappy this move will make them or indeed how unpopular.  ??? ??? ???   

AlexM

• Know All
Re: Podium Monkey's
« Reply #1 on: 19-05-17, 04:29PM »
What is a Podium Monkey?

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 19-05-17, 04:48PM »
Until about 8-10 years ago the managers in charge of loading or goods-in only used to oversee the running of the department from the office . There used to be a bayman for goods-out and he was responsible for baying up loads and liaising with the shunters,he also used to seal every load aswell . It was a different person each shift and was just another booked-off job . A similar scenario was for goods-in . A manager was only ever needed if a problem arose . There was no extra payment at that time .  I am unsure as to why they built the podiums and moved the jobs to managers then . 

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 19-05-17, 04:56PM »
What is a Podium Monkey?

At a DC ,each department like goods-in and goods-out and assembly has a podium where the manager in charge will be found(allegedly) . At the moment they are in the process of losing the management positions and having a "podium monkey " in place,but they will be paid a lot less .  This only my understanding of the position ,if it is incorrect ,I am sure Snowyowl will correct me.

AlexM

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 19-05-17, 05:19PM »
Surely the job role isn't actually called "podium monkey", tho? Is that just a nickname & tesco actually call it merging else?

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #5 on: 19-05-17, 05:22PM »
Warehouse coordinator or something like that is the official title.

snowyowl

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 19-05-17, 06:09PM »
That is my understanding picktocube and coordinator is the correct title. I wasn't aware this job has not always been in the hands of Team Managers but my initial feeling is still that this change will end in complete and utter failure. I think all the changes combined will end in disaster at my particular place of work. It's a pretty awful place to work as is, I fear the worst.  :'( :'( :'(

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 19-05-17, 06:27PM »
I am pretty sure you are not alone in your belief in the consequence of the restructures.
The company is now devouring ITSELF, how far is it going to go?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 19-05-17, 06:34PM »
Self imposed "cannibalism" of the company, sounds about right.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

redcar renegade

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 19-05-17, 06:44PM »
The podium monkeys will be hand chosen quality members of staff who will help middlesbrough dc run like a well oiled machine NOT. Let the good times roll

snowyowl

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 19-05-17, 07:19PM »
Quote by Duracell;

The company is now devouring ITSELF, how far is it going to go?

Latest news, clerical are next. Every cloud eh!  ;)

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 19-05-17, 07:36PM »
There's now a 'warehouse planner' job vacancy at my DC. Basically a member of staff is going to be deciding who is on which job by doing the deployment sheet. And also holiday planning. I think this going to cause major, major problems.

redcar renegade

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 19-05-17, 10:54PM »
Reminds me of a classic film " one flew over the cuckoo's nest" the lunatics have taken over the asylum

CoffeeGate

• Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 20-05-17, 12:57PM »
The 'Warehouse Co-coordinators' will be paid £5 per week for their services.
They will be expected to start shift 30 minutes early to deal with shift handovers etc.
At an example of £9ph this would be £22.50 per week, or £90 each pay day, instead they will be paid £20.
I really do hope those who go for these positions realise what they are getting themselves into. No doubt Tesco will use something along the lines of 'Development' for those who become the Podium Monkeys in defence of the extra work for minimal pay increase, however with the loss of managers not only has the light at the end of the tunnel gone, its practically been bricked up.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #14 on: 20-05-17, 01:32PM »
Can anyone explain first three lines of CoffeeGate's post, I'm a little baffled  ???
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 20-05-17, 01:41PM »
If someone is starting their shift 30 minutes early ,5 days a week ,and they are paid £9 per hour they are in effect doing work that is the equivalent  to £22-50 a week ,but instead they are going to get £5 a week for their troubles.

Global Moderator Comment Thank you. Nomad

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 20-05-17, 02:58PM »
How are they starting their shift 30 mins early? If asked to do so in those words they are being asked to do overtime.

The start time is the beginning of their shift to start before that is OT, the previous shift may not have ended but it doesn't mean the others are starting early.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 20-05-17, 03:13PM »
I think he means they are 'asked' to start early. They probably don't really have to, but 'it's good for their development.' Just for the record, podium monkeys are on the podium doing the handover at least 15 minutes before the shift starts at my DC. And they don't get paid for it. Apart from the extra £6 per week.
« Last Edit: 20-05-17, 03:18PM by grim up north »

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 20-05-17, 04:36PM »
I bet there's no shortage of numpties willing to do it though - that's how Tesco can get away with it. Its happening all over the company. In Express store's they have replaced the Deputy Manager with lower paid Shift Leaders who are expected to do the same work. No shortage of step downs though. Mugs or just desperate ?

Duracell

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 20-05-17, 05:11PM »
I would Just be late for your official start time (a few minutes past the hour) the detail on the  informal will Then  kick in, the next steps will force the issue. They will have to be clear on the expectation, what ever time they say you have to be available for work is your start time from which point you get paid, if they use the time (on the hour) as a point of reference then again that is the time you must be available to work and don't need to be there before that time.

If a hand over is essential to the business then the business must plan for it in the rotas and pay for it.

Duracell.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 20-05-17, 05:33PM »
As I say Duracell, if they refused, T*sco couldn't do anything. They'd just be seen as a 'problem' and perhaps podium work isn't for them but assembly might be...
I've spoken to some of the coordinators and told them, in my opinion, they are stagnating EVERYONES pay. If you were a warehouse op and wanted a huge pay rise, options and Team Manager pay was a massive incentive for anyone to reach that goal. Now these people have taken the coordinator's role with a £6 per week rise, they are basically saying they are willing to do a managers job for that. This knocks on further down the chain to the rest of us. T*sco will be rubbing their hands with glee.

snowyowl

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 20-05-17, 07:37PM »
I know this is probably expected from me but what has been the Unions part in this,can't they see that this is very bad move that will inevitably set the tone for all Tosco employees? "You can treat the members as badly as you like, we'll comply, after all you are our cash cow" They really don't give a sh*te do they?  >:( >:( >:(

redcar renegade

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 20-05-17, 09:36PM »
Snowyowl I have to agree with you Usbore will have tesco's back on this and other issues. Hung out to dry and pay Usbore to do so. If you ask management anything they say it's been signed off by union

snowyowl

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 22-05-17, 07:38AM »
Quote from picktocube;

If someone is starting their shift 30 minutes early ,5 days a week ,and they are paid £9 per hour they are in effect doing work that is the equivalent  to £22-50 a week ,but instead they are going to get £5 a week for their troubles.

The Team Managers at our place have always been expected to be at their pre-shift meeting half an hour before the shifts start and are often there later than shifts end. I wonder what that makes their hourly rate?
Furthermore a level one taking the "podium monkey's" job at my place of work would actually be taking a job with more responsibility for less money. They would actually be about £66.00 a month worse off, I'm now thinking "podium monkey" is the correct title for these wannabee's. Tosco really do take the p*ss, don't they?  ;D ;D ;D 

CoffeeGate

• Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: 22-05-17, 11:47AM »
To clear up my original point, managers and options candidates always have to be ready for the start of shift meeting and then handovers 30 mins before start of shift. They have never been paid for this it is just 'expected', I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to the podium monkeys as they will be getting their extra £1 per day rather than the £4.50 they should get if they start half an hour early.