Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:45PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Tesco Women /Equal Pay Petition/Change.org  (Read 18128 times)

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Tesco Women /Equal Pay Petition/Change.org
« Reply #150 on: 08-11-19, 10:32AM »
I think your store is a bit behind with the times Cityboy. We have both male and female colleagues on clothing.

randomworker

« Reply #151 on: 08-11-19, 10:39AM »
Cityboy,

I think you need to realise the world of work is a much bigger place than just your one store of the last 25+ years and you can’t make general sweeping comments about Tesco as a whole.

I don’t know what is going on with your store and why they do those things but your comment was not framed in questioning managers decision making but was framed to imply woman love easy work

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #152 on: 08-11-19, 10:39AM »
alf, I agree, but if a man and women started on the same night, the women would be put on health and beauty, the man would be on beers ,wines,  spirits,  because that is the natural order of things in Tesco. This women might be a BWS ninja, but we will never know. Women, women's jobs, men, men's jobs.Tesco managers, sexist thinking.
If a skinny weedy bloke started at our store and a big burley woman then the bloke would be on h and b and the women on BWS. This is sensible equality. 

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #153 on: 08-11-19, 11:18AM »
Do we put a burley lad on biscuits and sweets then? The last one we had never finished it. We have put the women on beers, juice and produce and never once has it not been finished.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #154 on: 10-11-19, 11:13AM »
We have a skinny little woman who works on BWS and she is fantastic, nobody can fill her boots when she is on holiday.
I think that the biggest difference is height. I'm not that tall myself, I need a stool when filling. I can do it but it takes longer. A taller person can just reach top shelf. Some heavier items do require a taller person to still use a stool but crisps for example don't.
It's not male or female, it height but we have not reached the point when we measure height as a criteria for getting a job.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #155 on: 10-11-19, 11:30AM »
I'm a 5"8 male, a bit overweight, not as quick as I used to be in my younger slimmer days but even now I'm faster than 90% of stock fillers regardless of department, height, build and gender doesn't make a difference. Disability does however but there's a process for that.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #156 on: 10-11-19, 12:03PM »
Well body build, height makes a diference if it comes to filling but not having a brain is main issue if it comes to low-productivity.
New starters even after months of experience still do not know what product goes where, they work bulk goods box after box even if they do not need it. Do not use common sense, if there is deal on promo end "ANY x for Y" they will not put another flavour if one is gone, not mentioning that do not know how to print label if neccesary. Keep new lines/not on sale stock on backstock cage and spend months working it box after box but never sending it to the 'New lines area' to be dealt with. Not mentioning stock from diferent aisle hogging capping shelves or bacstockcages and people not dealing with it beacuse they do not know how.
Diferent example is, someone decking crisps for few hours (then fail in filling it properly) when normal person will fill whole aisle in that time.
Another thing we must add is that many people are distracted (cant focus) a lot when they work. It might something like using phone, spending time reading  ingredients, trying to be extreamly perfect, walking around etc.
« Last Edit: 10-11-19, 12:05PM by lordadmiral »

Long gone

« Reply #157 on: 10-11-19, 12:49PM »
In response to cityboy, our store was the same. All health and beauty team, all female clothing team and a guy actually went for a clothing vacancy but was denied as it was a “female only” application, the guy who applied got a job on a different department but was strangely allowed to do overtime on clothing when they were desperate

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #158 on: 10-11-19, 01:43PM »
With probably 1 or 2 exceptions, a candidate can't be denied a job purely because of their gender, that is textbook gender discrimination under the 2010 equalities act.

Long gone

« Reply #159 on: 10-11-19, 02:33PM »
Our clothing team had 8 female members and a female manager , says it all......

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #160 on: 10-11-19, 03:18PM »
Our F&F has 2 males on the team . Maybe just your store that's sexist ??

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #161 on: 11-11-19, 01:38PM »
Local extra has a male team member, has done for years. Did have two but one left.

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #162 on: 13-11-19, 03:37AM »
My wife works in an express (11yrs) 4 miles away, and knows of no such division of labour in her store, but a lot less staff and no departments. So, in my one store experience, I may see only bias that is relevant to my store. That said, the few years I worked on days I saw plenty women work pop, produce and B,W,S, etc., just not on nights. Oh, and only 25 years of just male night managers.

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #163 on: 13-11-19, 06:18AM »
NightAndDay, do you really think the discrimination act of 2010 stopped discriminatory employment? If you are the wrong age or gender that they are looking for, they won't say that. They will just say the younger and most gender appropriate applicant was the best applicant interviewed. How could you prove otherwise?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #164 on: 13-11-19, 08:38AM »
Cityboy, Tesco gets away with it because most employees aren't smart enough to know their own rights, asking for the reason to be documented and signed would be sufficient enough as evidence, or getting the reason through some other persistent form of communication.