Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-05-19, 03:30AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 57059
  • Total Topics: 1008
  • Online Today: 116
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 97
Total: 99

Author Topic: Tesco sick pay policy - help please!!  (Read 27561 times)

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
Re: Tesco sick pay policy - help please!!
« Reply #50 on: 09-05-18, 06:53PM »

day one ,

seems your manager likes telling 'porkies ,

ask him to print off the policy ,

or better still ask him to send you a copy of it to your e mail account   ;D

It’s a reasonable request.  :)

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #51 on: 09-05-18, 07:01PM »
Employee222

You should get paid SSP after 4 days off sick, It should be £92,05.  If you have family then you should contact social services to get help with extra funds,  you will not get company sick pay for the first 3 days you have been off sick.

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay
« Last Edit: 09-05-18, 07:08PM by notsofunny »

Warbeast

« Reply #52 on: 25-02-19, 07:14PM »
How is sick pay calculated? For 9 years of service is it 6+9= 14?

Charlie Harper

« Reply #53 on: 25-02-19, 10:33PM »
No, I believe it's 9 weeks. However....

After 6 years’ service, the number of paid days’ sick leave you took in the previous year will be deducted from your new
year’s sickness allowance. However, once you’ve built up a six week allowance it becomes your ‘fall back’ position - this
means that regardless of the amount of paid sick leave you take in any year you will always be eligible for a minimum of six
weeks sick pay each year going forward.
To these six weeks, an additional week is added for each year of service, up to a maximum of 16 weeks’ sick allowance. If
you’ve got the maximum allowance and take any time off sick, the 16 weeks reduces by the amount of time taken, and you
then qualify in future years for the additional one week each year until you reach the maximum 16 weeks again.

person7

« Reply #54 on: 28-02-19, 02:35PM »
Hi I have similar question.

I have no idea if I get any sick pay or not.

I work 2pm to 10pm (7 hours paid 1 jour break) one day a week.

Last week I had to get antibiotics due to a bad illness and had to stay in bed all week.

Therefore even though I was ill for 6 days. I only missed one day of work.

What happens to my pay for the one day off work? Do I get anything at all or does it have to be X Number of days?

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #55 on: 28-02-19, 04:05PM »
@person7... I am not sure if you qualify for company sick pay but i know for a certain fact that you do not qualify for SSP as your weekly earnings are insuficient and you must earn around approx £116 per week gross to qualify. I had recently had some stress related sick leave and was paid my company sick pay.This eventually expired and I expected to be paid SSP..but did not receive any. I queried why with my senior team manager and was sent a copy of some information from the DWP website stating what minimum earnings were required to qualify. I would just like to add that the only reason I did not qualify was because one of my contracted days was a Sunday and the decrease in the Sunday premium took below the minimum weekly amount required to qualify. I would once again like to send USDAW my sincere thanks for causing me to lose this entitlement. Luckily in my case the SSP monies did not cause me financial hardship as I am past retirement age and I am in receipt of my government and occupational pension benefits....just as well isn't it :question: :question:
The worlds me lobster

« Reply #56 on: 28-02-19, 08:01PM »
Person 7.
You won't receive any sick pay for the day off you had. Company policy is that sick pay is only paid from the 4th day of any sickness absence for new colleagues.

Victor

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #57 on: 01-03-19, 09:00PM »
When are you entitled to company sick pay?

Dp32

« Reply #58 on: 03-03-19, 02:02PM »
Hi,  I worked for Co-op, tesco then Elior.  I was under the impression I got 6 months full then 6 months half pay.  Apparently it changed to 4 months then SSP.  Anyone know how they can do that with me.  I get it's in your hand book, Very confusing  and upsetting.

CAdrone

« Reply #59 on: 11-03-19, 11:16PM »
Ah god the good old sick pay question and SM trying to do you out of anything possible to save their budget.

Quick question for anyone though, a planned hospital appointment according to the policy is paid.

For example, my hospital appointment (taken months to get and no choice of time) to see a consultant for general tests and what not is say at 2pm. I should start my contracted hours at 1:30pm. The hospital is over 45 minutes away from the store, being at work is nigh on impossible.  I'm at the hospital for over 3 hours. it then would take another 45 minutes back to work and by the time i got back I would've had 30 minutes of my shift left.

My question is.

1.) is paid appointment just for the times of the appointment or the whole shift.
2.) I've been unpaid for the day. is this correct.
3.) what advice would anyone give me for this?
underpaid, overworked.

5fdp

« Reply #60 on: 11-03-19, 11:44PM »
This should be paid. Check out out tesco. It's one of the few things that is paid now.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #61 on: 12-03-19, 05:47AM »
The hospital appointment is paid and the wages clerk should have coded it as such.

When you received your appointment letter, did you take it in and inform your manager??
Did your manager indicate it would be an unpaid absence or ask you to work the time back, shift swap etc...??

It could just be that your manager wasn't available when the wages clerk did the exceptions, and it has gone through as unpaid sick leave. Ask your manager for the reason you were unpaid, then ask for payment and the absence to be removed from your sickness record.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #62 on: 12-03-19, 09:25AM »
Hospital appointments are paid but only when a copy of the letter/appointment is handed in. It is not paid if you just say it hospital. Some people have ongoing issues and will know this but for others it can be years between and may not know this but they should be told a copy is needed when they say they need the time off.

CAdrone

« Reply #63 on: 12-03-19, 09:53PM »
The hospital appointment is paid and the wages clerk should have coded it as such.

When you received your appointment letter, did you take it in and inform your manager??
Did your manager indicate it would be an unpaid absence or ask you to work the time back, shift swap etc...??

It could just be that your manager wasn't available when the wages clerk did the exceptions, and it has gone through as unpaid sick leave. Ask your manager for the reason you were unpaid, then ask for payment and the absence to be removed from your sickness record.

Okay guys thanks for the help you've spurred me to investigate further.

I emailed the people over at tesco employment policy @tesco.com email address. They confirmed what you guys have said and i quote "the policy position is that you will not need to go into work for your shift this day and will be paid for your full shift.' So that day you don't have to come in work and its paid. Simple as.

Sadly as a result i had to go over my line managers head to get this sorted. Said line manager quoted his higher ups as telling him we do not pay for planned hospital appointments. Which as you've already told me and i've officially been told is not the case. I questioned this to the higher ups and they denied saying this to my line manager, and now my line manager says he never told that to me. Which is basically calling me a liar. i've been asked if i want to make a grievance complaint against my line manager.

I just don't comprehend how something so plaining written in the sickness policy can be taken so out of context. to the fact i've been accused of lying about what my line manager told me.

At the end of the day i'd rather be in work working than at a hospital in a waiting room waiting to see a consultant for tests.  :thumbdown:

underpaid, overworked.

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #64 on: 13-03-19, 01:48AM »
I have a phone call with occupational health next week does anyone know if i'm entitled to any time off.

Many Thanks
Has This Been Briefed Out??

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #65 on: 13-03-19, 05:51AM »
@CAdrone

It's called passing the buck.....though I doubt the seniors would have given instruction in the first place, as the manager would be expected to know procedures and policies. It's common for line managers to state the SM said this and that, to get people to do things etc....as it's rarely questioned.

Why, if your manager says he didn't say it was unpaid, was it then unpaid??

I personally wouldn't bother with a grievance in this instance, the managers are under pressure to save wage budget and this one tried to pull a fast one and got pulled up on it..think he'll know in future that you are quite willing to take any queries higher up if need to.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Preacherpauly

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #66 on: 13-03-19, 07:31PM »

Okay guys thanks for the help you've spurred me to investigate further.

I emailed the people over at tesco employment policy @tesco.com email address. They confirmed what you guys have said and i quote "the policy position is that you will not need to go into work for your shift this day and will be paid for your full shift.' So that day you don't have to come in work and its paid. Simple as.

Sadly as a result i had to go over my line managers head to get this sorted. Said line manager quoted his higher ups as telling him we do not pay for planned hospital appointments. Which as you've already told me and i've officially been told is not the case. I questioned this to the higher ups and they denied saying this to my line manager, and now my line manager says he never told that to me. Which is basically calling me a liar. i've been asked if i want to make a grievance complaint against my line manager.

I just don't comprehend how something so plaining written in the sickness policy can be taken so out of context. to the fact i've been accused of lying about what my line manager told me.

At the end of the day i'd rather be in work working than at a hospital in a waiting room waiting to see a consultant for tests.  :thumbdown:

If staff don't know the policies then managers will always try and pull a fast one. A colleague of mine handed in a hospital app letter and was told they had to take it as holiday, make it back up or take it as unpaid. They took it as holiday but was told by staff that it should have been paid but by then a few weeks had past and was to late to query it.

Alisonjohnson

« Reply #67 on: 17-03-19, 10:33AM »
The Tesco sickness policy is awful , why do tesco managers think they are medically trained? They assumed there was nothing wrong with me referred me to fit for work who said I had to have 3 months off and my managers made me go back to work by threatening me with dismissal . I went back to work lasted just a few short weeks and was sick again and sure enough I was dismissed even though my illness was covered by the equality act. Most of the colleagues I worked with took phones into meetings with managers and recorded the conversations ..... some of the things that were said are beyond belief ........ I wish that I too had recorded the conversation between me and my dept manager and even what my SM said to me was totally unprofessional . I found out I had been dismissed via social media the letter from Tesco did not arrive until 10 days later!!!