Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25-03-19, 11:47PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58911
  • Total Topics: 1091
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Tesco sick pay policy - help please!!  (Read 25688 times)

Employee101

Tesco sick pay policy - help please!!
« on: 07-03-17, 05:20PM »
Hi guys,

First post here. I need some advice regarding the sick policy. I am currently in a dispute with my SM over how many days company sick pay I am entitled to. I have to be careful how much detail I go into, but first of all, am I correct in assuming that an employee with over six years service gets a minimum of six weeks entitlement every anniversary, regardless of how much they took in the previous year?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
Re: Tesco sick pay policy - help please!!
« Reply #1 on: 07-03-17, 05:25PM »
no, you start with 6 weeks sick pay and accrue a wek for every year you work to a max of 16 weeks, However once you use some you entitlement goes down for instance I get 16 weeks a year but if I am off sick for 2 weeks that goes down to 14 weeks until I do another 2 years free of illness to re accrue it.

You are always entiteld to 6 weeks though which resets on your anniversary i think.

Lol didnt read it properly, yea 6 weeks is the minimum per year.

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 07-03-17, 05:48PM »
Get your wages Clark to show you On The pay system

Employee101

« Reply #3 on: 07-03-17, 06:15PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys, I appreciate it.

The SM does the wages, and he's the one who has apparently coded incorrectly. I told him that it was a minimum of six weeks, but he does not see it that way, and has deducted the time I had off sick directly from the six weeks.

Employee101

« Reply #4 on: 07-03-17, 06:36PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys, I appreciate it.

The SM does the wages, and he's the one who has apparently coded incorrectly. I told him that it was a minimum of six weeks, but he does not see it that way, and has deducted the time I had off sick directly from the six weeks.

I forgot to mention the time I had off was before my anniversary date, when the six weeks resets. I don't know what he's done, but it can't be correct.

Princess2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 07-03-17, 10:27PM »
He should have been coding it all as sick regardless. If you had run out of sicknpay, then the system would automatically stop paying you company sick pay and you should then have received ssp of around £83 a week as far as I can remember.

Olivia Pope

« Reply #6 on: 07-03-17, 11:20PM »
Hi, yes agreed should code s100 you will receive sick pay and once run out of company sick pay it will show as ssp which runs for 28weeks. If they have minused your hours incorrectly then question this, ask for a print out of what they have done and contact pm

smart chick

« Reply #7 on: 08-03-17, 08:59PM »
You should be entitled to sick pay after the first 3 day s have you put in fit note ?

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 30-10-17, 08:17AM »
Hi all. I've worked for tosco for 5 yrs. When do I get sick pay from? Is it still after the first 3 days? I've had one day off so far and to be honest I really aren't up to going in tonight.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 30-10-17, 11:45AM »
Just don't go in then carlh. The 3 day rule still applies.

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 30-10-17, 01:42PM »
It could also depend on why you are off sick etc.

Remember sick pay is not a legal ‘right’ it is a benefit. And as such they do not have to pay you.

That said it would have to be for a very good reason (such as for example continued sporadic absence etc) for them not to pay you.

I had one of my staff who used to use his sick pay as extra holiday each and every year. When I became his manager I refused to pay him on one of his regular bouts of “bad stomach” ailments. He kicked off, ranted and raved that he was “entitled” to his sick pay. He appealed my decision and was overruled. From that day his absence improved dramatically.

Not saying that’s the case with you, as it sounds like it isn’t, but many people falsely believe Tesco HAVE to pay them sick pay when the reverse is true. Tesco can and often do CHOOSE to pay people sick pay but they are under no obligation to.

Hibsdaft

« Reply #11 on: 30-10-17, 02:54PM »
Tesco's sick pay scheme forms part of the staff's contractual terms and conditions of employment, and cannot just be stopped by a manager - despite what you say.

There would have to have been a due process followed through the sickness absence policy, as no manager has the medical training to determine if any ailment is legitimate or not (even though they may suspect it's not) and no manager has the right to unilaterally stop a contractual payment.

You may have done it, and you may have got away with doing it, but that does not mean it's right.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #12 on: 30-10-17, 03:37PM »
Not sure I read the part in my contract where my sick pay was beholden on whichever moron was my line manager at any particular time.

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 30-10-17, 04:06PM »
Tesco's sick pay scheme forms part of the staff's contractual terms and conditions of employment, and cannot just be stopped by a manager - despite what you say.

There would have to have been a due process followed through the sickness absence policy, as no manager has the medical training to determine if any ailment is legitimate or not (even though they may suspect it's not) and no manager has the right to unilaterally stop a contractual 
You may have done it, and you may have got away with doing it, but that does not mean it's right.

I didn’t withhold it on medical grounds as you are quite correct , I am not qualified to do so.

I withheld it on the grounds that this person was not fulfilling the terms and conditions of their employment by not turning up for work regularly enough without a valid reason for why they were off work approx 10-15% of the time.

There is no right in law for a person to claim full payment if they regularly fail to fulfil their side of the contract. His absence miraculously improved forthwith afterwards too.

Margin456

« Reply #14 on: 29-12-17, 10:41AM »
I have been with the company since 2003, could someone please tell me ho;w long I receive full pay for. I have been off sick since 24/11/2017.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

FarmerFred

• Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 30-12-17, 08:54AM »
We don't know the full details of the situation mentioned by NowAnExManager, but if the person involved was not providing Fit notes etc. then the above link does not apply. In the linked case, the tribunal ruled that the doctor's certificate should have satisfied the employer that the reason for absence was genuine, as it would most of the time at Tesco.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 30-12-17, 09:28AM »
Margin456

Go to the top of the page and look at forrestgimp's reply #1 7/3/2017. It answers your question in full. :thumbup:
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 30-12-17, 09:44AM »
@FarmerFred :thumbup:

My guess is that @NowAnExManager did not receive a self cert note or a fit note, otherwise, I would pursue the issue as Unlawful-deductions-from-payments. There are formal (lawful) procedures (to 'varying' contractual terms) to be followed, and they are to be followed by employees AND EMPLOYERS. I would strongly suggest that if @NowAnExManager HAD actually 'tried' to withhold such payments (rather than just threatened to), that he/she would have been advised by his/her superiors that his/her powers did not extend that far.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Cream Crackered

« Reply #19 on: 30-12-17, 02:52PM »
Hopefully someone can help.
I will shortly be having several front teeth extracted and a plate put in, I am not too sure at this stage whether the plate will be placed straight away or if I will have to wait a few days for the gums to settle.
How will I stand, will I be paid sick, or will I have to take any time off unpaid or holidays.
I would imagine I would be off 7-10 days, definitely don't want to go into work gummy and would want to practise my speech and control my lisping before encountering customers 😀😷.
I haven't spoken to my pm yet, but just wondered if anyone else had gone through this and how it was handled.
TIA

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #20 on: 30-12-17, 05:37PM »
The situation I was referring to was someone who had an extremely high level of sporadic absence, never with a fit note, and usually off for one or two shifts at a time maximum.

That person is no longer employed by Tesco.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #21 on: 30-12-17, 09:31PM »
I think you'd have to take it as unpaid or holiday, Cream Crackered, as you'd still be physically able to do your job.

Someone on checkouts in our store had laryngitis so had a card to show customers saying that s/he couldn't speak. Maybe you could do that??

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #22 on: 31-12-17, 12:29PM »
Hopefully someone can help.
I will shortly be having several front teeth extracted and a plate put in, I am not too sure at this stage whether the plate will be placed straight away or if I will have to wait a few days for the gums to settle.
How will I stand, will I be paid sick, or will I have to take any time off unpaid or holidays.
I would imagine I would be off 7-10 days, definitely don't want to go into work gummy and would want to practise my speech and control my lisping before encountering customers 😀😷.
I haven't spoken to my pm yet, but just wondered if anyone else had gone through this and how it was handled.
TIA

I'm sure if you are willing to come to work you would be given a non customer facing role to do.

Weed

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 31-12-17, 08:37PM »
Presort in the warehouse?  :-X ;D

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 01-01-18, 07:31AM »
 :D :D :D. hasnt existed for years in our store!