Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-10-19, 06:02AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8505
  • Latest: Foysi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61663
  • Total Topics: 1083
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 48
Total: 52

Author Topic: Express: numbers on shop floor  (Read 4266 times)

scours81

• VLH Supporter
Express: numbers on shop floor
« on: 08-06-17, 10:04AM »
Hi guys.
Question; in express. Am I right in believing that you need a minimum 3 people in the building at the same time, as there must be 2 people on the shop floor at all times? So 1 person cannot be on there own on the shop floor?

Cheers

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
Re: Express: numbers on shop floor
« Reply #1 on: 08-06-17, 10:31AM »
Should be 1 Manager  2 .ca..but at times it could be what is called 1 on 1 .. I have seen 1 Manager with .ca on break. Or 1 Manager with 1 security

scours81

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 08-06-17, 12:08PM »
Yes I'm very familiar with a 1 on 1, just didn't think
It was allowed, as I thought I heard 1 2 people must be on a
shop floor at all times

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 08-06-17, 12:39PM »

Every thing is allowed . Main thing they look at is the store stays open,

As I said if on 1 on 1 , and one goes to have a break then its only manager in store ,

If someone calls sick on a late thats when you see the largest problem,

Normally no one wants to come in on a late especialy when the shift is only for a few hours ,

Or a store that is a low sales store with few staff to call out when you need them ,

So yes they say you should always have 3 in store,, But,,,,,,,,,,,,

Glad I have taken the money could not stand this type of problem week in week out on top of every thing else,,

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 08-06-17, 01:36PM »
1 + 1 shifts should not be allowed.  If you are on an UNPAID break, you should be able to leave the store and return when your break has ended.  It's YOUR time, not Tesco's.  It would be interesting to see what management would do if staff insisted on taking their breaks away from the store.  I can't see there's any justification for a disciplinary if it's an unpaid break.

Jack O

« Reply #5 on: 09-06-17, 09:00AM »
We're 1 on 1 for at least a couple of hours (generally 11-12 and 17-18, which are our busiest times, because our manager's c**p at doing the rota) and then again 21-23 one or two days a week. If the CA supposed to be 18-23 goes off sick, it's not at all uncommon for the shift leader to be left alone from 21-23; when they phone the area manager to ask what they should do, they're just told to get on with it.

Goes to show profits are far more important to Tesco than staff safety.
"The Labor Movement was the principal force that transformed misery and despair into hope and progress" - Martin Luther King

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 09-06-17, 10:35AM »
We've known that all along. Profits before people, that's the motto these days.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 11-06-17, 01:10AM »

Nothing to do with these days  ??? Its always been like that In express :(

Jack O

« Reply #8 on: 11-06-17, 09:22PM »
So yesterday, having found out that our brilliant manager had once again messed up the rota (he seems to especially do this when he's got the weekend off, as he did this weekend - the third in a month), I went in early so that two of my colleagues wouldn't be 1-on-1 between 11 and 12.30 on a Saturday, which is our busiest period of the week. Apparently, this was mentioned on the Whatsapp group he set up to communicate with team leaders and has the right hump about it. Should be fun tomorrow!
"The Labor Movement was the principal force that transformed misery and despair into hope and progress" - Martin Luther King

notsofunny

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 12-06-17, 06:13AM »

You still got team leader ? lol , And don't leave to much information as to times and dates ,  Its not just Having problems with ca cover at the moment , found that one store I walked into this week had 2 ca running the place,, no managers in store,, just glad I'm out,

Jack O

« Reply #10 on: 12-06-17, 11:21AM »
Yep. It's an Express - we have four TLs. One of them is very good, too!

Cheekymonkey007

• Know All
« Reply #11 on: 12-06-17, 11:35AM »

They would be called shift leaders now not TLs
Cheeky monkey

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 12-06-17, 11:43AM »
We're 1 on 1 for at least a couple of hours (generally 11-12 and 17-18, which are our busiest times, because our manager's c**p at doing the rota) and then again 21-23 one or two days a week. If the CA supposed to be 18-23 goes off sick, it's not at all uncommon for the shift leader to be left alone from 21-23; when they phone the area manager to ask what they should do, they're just told to get on with it.

Probably not the managers fault at doing the rotas, the butter is simply being spread too thin - the Express near where I live has 2 staff most days plus a security stooge who actually works on self scan, if you have to schedule 2 people from first thing in the morning nutil last thing at night it makes sense that there will probably be no overlap.

Jack O

« Reply #13 on: 12-06-17, 11:14PM »

Probably not the managers fault at doing the rotas, the butter is simply being spread too thin - the Express near where I live has 2 staff most days plus a security stooge who actually works on self scan, if you have to schedule 2 people from first thing in the morning nutil last thing at night it makes sense that there will probably be no overlap.

We have 17 members of staff, the majority on 20+ hrs, with six of us full time. When the manager is there, plenty of staff. When he isn't, not enough staff - to the point where customers get so angry at not being able to find a member of staff to assist them or the length of the queue that they dump their basket and walk out. I'd say it's definitely his fault! ;-)

adw2007

« Reply #14 on: 09-07-17, 09:49PM »
I know this is not related to numbers but is does apply to express.

I have been working for Tesco for quite a while now and was told in my induction we were allowed our mobile phones on the shop floor. Thus, I have always done this and whenever I have had a staff search I have never been questioned... until my most recent one.

This time, the shift leader (who is fairly new to the position) did a staff search on me (and others) and when I turned out my phone I was asked "what have you got that for". "I always keep it on me" i replied " I was told we could". To which the SL commented "do you have the inform app" to which I replied "I don't use it" (I do have the app on my phone but the signal in my store is rubbish and I don't have access to any wifi). The SL then said "you were lied to at induction" and told me "you should put it away but I'll give you a green today". the SL then performed searches on other people who had their phones on them and nothing was said.

The only reason I have my phone on me is for emergencies (as I am also an at home carer, DM who employed me was aware but I never specifically said I had my phone on me because I assumed it was OK to do so, following induction) and to keep track of time as I do not find it comfortable to wear watches. I never text/call/social etc whilst working.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if anyone knows the exact policy. There are a couple of other issues I need to raise with my manager in regards to this SL but I don't know whether to bring this one up? Thoughts please?

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 09-07-17, 09:57PM »

They would be called shift leaders now not TLs
thats because theres no longer enough staff to form a team!! 8-)

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 09-07-17, 10:00PM »
I know this is not related to numbers but is does apply to express.

I have been working for Tesco for quite a while now and was told in my induction we were allowed our mobile phones on the shop floor. Thus, I have always done this and whenever I have had a staff search I have never been questioned... until my most recent one.

This time, the shift leader (who is fairly new to the position) did a staff search on me (and others) and when I turned out my phone I was asked "what have you got that for". "I always keep it on me" i replied " I was told we could". To which the SL commented "do you have the inform app" to which I replied "I don't use it" (I do have the app on my phone but the signal in my store is rubbish and I don't have access to any wifi). The SL then said "you were lied to at induction" and told me "you should put it away but I'll give you a green today". the SL then performed searches on other people who had their phones on them and nothing was said.

The only reason I have my phone on me is for emergencies (as I am also an at home carer, DM who employed me was aware but I never specifically said I had my phone on me because I assumed it was OK to do so, following induction) and to keep track of time as I do not find it comfortable to wear watches. I never text/call/social etc whilst working.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if anyone knows the exact policy. There are a couple of other issues I need to raise with my manager in regards to this SL but I don't know whether to bring this one up? Thoughts please?
if youre an at home carer, you should have your managers permission to carry your phone in case of emergency.

laughinggravy

« Reply #17 on: 09-07-17, 10:15PM »
I took time off recently due to a family emergency. When I had my Let's Talk meeting I was told by a manager to keep my phone in my pocket at all times.
Two opinions are better than one, especially when one of those opinions is mine

BrownEyedGirl

« Reply #18 on: 09-07-17, 11:42PM »
My dad was ill awhile back, both my store manager and PM said I could keep my phone on me.