Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-08-17, 08:15PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 69096
  • Total Topics: 1514
  • Online Today: 173
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Job losses  (Read 49459 times)

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: Job losses
« Reply #50 on: 10-01-17, 02:57PM »
We're in Sh*t Street, but I don't know the number.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #51 on: 10-01-17, 03:08PM »
@ fatboy

I'm not sure, although a change of contract from FT to PT would definitely trigger redundancy. I can only assume that Tesco would recruit new PT drivers to replace FT drivers as they could try to class as a new job opportunity.

I'm not 100%, but this route wouldn't surprise me.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

picktocube

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #52 on: 10-01-17, 04:36PM »
You would think that if Tesco wanted everyone to be on part-time or flexi contracts ,then they would stop taking on people on full-time contracts . But,there are still jobs being advertised  at stores which are 36.5 hours a week . These jobs are all on the Tesco website and cover a range of positions.

Mungo

« Reply #53 on: 10-01-17, 04:43PM »
Certainly is more to come..I don't think many people are safe.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #54 on: 10-01-17, 05:10PM »
You would think that if Tesco wanted everyone to be on part-time or flexi contracts ,then they would stop taking on people on full-time contracts . But,there are still jobs being advertised  at stores which are 36.5 hours a week . These jobs are all on the Tesco website and cover a range of positions.

There was recruitment for TL positions still going on right up until they announced the abolition of the role and push through the Shift Leader role.
The normal operations will keep going right up til the very end and that includes recruiting.
Since FT role account for around 10% of the work force it's would be very easy to turn on these contracts.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

baldeagle

« Reply #55 on: 10-01-17, 05:39PM »
Snodland DC transport not going over to Tesco, but being put out to tender. Can anybody let me Know if this is the case at the unity depot run by DHL. many thanks

tasha66

• Know All
« Reply #56 on: 10-01-17, 07:58PM »
What a horrible company.  They will do anything to increase profits all at the expense of employees.  You can thank the corruptness of those at the top fudging figures only to get caught which created a lack of trust in the company.

Its not over by a long shot in my opinion.  Southampton, Hinckley are next with some major restructure just because the colleagues earn way to much money.  Its as simple as that I believe.
Keep thinking youre all safe.but reallity youre a cost whoever you are!!!!!!!!!!

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #57 on: 10-01-17, 09:11PM »
You're right Tasha66, it's as simple as that, a cost cutting exercise with no thought at all for anybody who gets burnt in the process and no great thought as to what happens to the company following this exercise, as pointed out previously the people responsible will have had their cheques and be long gone before the consequences will be felt.   >:( >:( >:(

The Guvnor

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #58 on: 10-01-17, 11:56PM »
Is Welham Green the last Tesco DC with the old Blue Book agreement or had it changed in recent years?

Belfast still on blue book. Been talk of a new depot for a long time but this has never happened.

You will be the last Depot standing then with the old Blue Book agreement and the old T's&C's.
The Guvnor

Dungivnatoss

Stencho

« Reply #59 on: 11-01-17, 04:39AM »

Stencho

« Reply #60 on: 11-01-17, 07:28AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlyEuvwgbg&t=8s

no mention of the total figure of redundancies on 5 November 2016.....

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #61 on: 11-01-17, 07:37AM »
Would be interesting to know the redundancy take up percentage too. I think it would reveal the mood on the shopfloor if the take up was high.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #62 on: 11-01-17, 10:45AM »
It's my feeling and I think yours too that Tosco employees are fed up to the back teeth of being kept in the dark, being treat like idiots and bullied. I think, from conversations I've had people are desperate to get away from this despicable company and I think the percentage would be very high, more that Tosco could handle.  >:(

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #63 on: 11-01-17, 11:58AM »
Snowyowl, I agree I think it will be high. I heard someone before Xmas mention the uptake to be 82% or more. Don't know how accurate it is but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mr Grumpy

• Regular Pain
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #64 on: 11-01-17, 12:54PM »
I really think the majority of old big T workers hate working there now, and would take any chance to escape the company

Our store has many long loyal employess who now are either waitinp for redundancy, planning to get out by educating themselves more or actively looking for jobs

Well done to Drastic for the utter distruction of the loyal workforce that helped build the company

belfast driver

« Reply #65 on: 11-01-17, 01:29PM »
Is Welham Green the last Tesco DC with the old Blue Book agreement or had it changed in recent years?

Belfast still on blue book. Been talk of a new depot for a long time but this has never happened.

You will be the last Depot standing then with the old Blue Book agreement and the old T's&C's.
Oh dear it wont be too long before drastic comes after us then. Bring on the redundancy :-)
4 out of 7 will do me

belfast driver

« Reply #66 on: 11-01-17, 01:31PM »
Snodland DC transport not going over to Tesco, but being put out to tender. Can anybody let me Know if this is the case at the unity depot run by DHL. many thanks
#

Tesco has a vision to make all transport in house by 2020.
4 out of 7 will do me

bulspit

« Reply #67 on: 11-01-17, 02:18PM »
confirmation of Chesterfield D.C's closure today :(, notice of closure states that our stock is to be divided between Daventry, and Middlesbrough, as these dc's are currently underutilised, and have the capacity to deal with our stock. quote the wolfman

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #68 on: 11-01-17, 03:45PM »
Incredible, they have no idea  >:(

Dark lerker

« Reply #69 on: 11-01-17, 06:42PM »
nearest D.C.'s to Chesterfield are over an hour away in travelling time on a good day !

The same for Welham Green ,but it depends on wether you want to move or you already live in that direction . WG is an old DC with people who have been with the company for a long time . I think most of them will take the redundancy.
I'm one of the people thats being made redundant, it a disgrace the way it's been done.
I was off work when it was announced, a workmate called me, and I heard it on the television, but I had no phone call from anyone at Tesco.
We have been told it will happen in June, but there are rumours that we will be out by the end of march.
Redundancy is the only option, as Reading and Dagenham are both too far away to make it viable.
Most of the welham green workers can't wait to leave, after the way they have been treated.

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #70 on: 11-01-17, 08:14PM »
Bellfast drivers quote

Wasn't all transport in house any way until Tosco bought in Eddie Gocarts to do the job in various dc's?
Doncaster dc comes to mind with Tosco drivers striking and protesting against being transferred over to Eddie Gocarts terms and conditions which were less favourable than Tosco ?
« Last Edit: 11-01-17, 08:15PM by just curious »

Tornado

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #71 on: 11-01-17, 10:23PM »

https://youtu.be/xmlyEuvwgbg
:D :D :D People has to learn being more creative, using their imagination, being more at revolution side 8) tell them f..k  :o instead >:( which it is bad for your health. Can you see now why they are so worried with our health ? Are they not so  :-* ? They like a lot  (-*-)  :'( and  :P and it is very,very important for them that we be  (-*-) and to keep our mouth  :-X. You need to learn to be  >:D and  8). Use your imagination and be >:D.

belfast driver

« Reply #72 on: 11-01-17, 10:29PM »
Bellfast drivers quote

Wasn't all transport in house any way until Tosco bought in Eddie Gocarts to do the job in various dc's?
Doncaster dc comes to mind with Tosco drivers striking and protesting against being transferred over to Eddie Gocarts terms and conditions which were less favourable than Tosco ?

Yes it was. Now that Tesco have new contracts implemented it suits them better to have there own drivers .
« Last Edit: 12-01-17, 12:58AM by tumshie »
4 out of 7 will do me

Stencho

« Reply #73 on: 12-01-17, 04:45AM »
That's lazy maths. 500new jobs could be flexi 16hour contracts replacing 1000 staff!!!

Dark lerker

« Reply #74 on: 12-01-17, 06:24AM »
Thanks Pick to cube. 
Take the money and run. Weybridge was on the Blue Book agreement but voted out of it but kept the Tand C's with regards to the redundancy agreement.
Sadly Welham's days have always been numbered.
Best wishes to all. There is life after Tesco.
Everyone at Welham Green knew that the DC would closed sooner or later, we've had to live with the rumours for 10 years or more.
The speed that it has happened is astounding, for years Welham Green has existed, I'm surprised it has lasted for this long.
Some of the decisions that have been made are really baffling, like creating a permanent early shift, then regularly calling for people to go home between 7am and 10am.
It seems the planners could never agree on a formula that worked, they would change one thing and destabilise another area.
It's a shame, a once great company that cared for their colleagues/workers, has now got a couldn't give a toss attitude for their staff, it's all about profits.
The company we all loved and enjoyed working for has gone ... Forever