Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-01-17, 03:08PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 74698
  • Total Topics: 2028
  • Online Today: 138
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Job losses  (Read 25734 times)

viva la vida

Re: Job losses
« Reply #25 on: 09-01-17, 08:01PM »
Magor is on the old t&cs. As we serve the South West and Wales we should be ok. Distances from reading are too far and the fact that they have taken W. Green volume will work in our favour.  Reading can't cope with what they have now. We'll probably get more work off them.

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #26 on: 09-01-17, 08:39PM »
Can I just say to the people in the depots closing heartfelt sympathy for been treated in such a way by Tesco. For those of us left let's hope there are no more closures in pipeline but I doubt it, 553 jobs to be created at D. C'S to make up for the closures reading The Telegraph article sounds like Daventry to benefit most. Middlesbrough to get most of general merchandise but don't think anymore jobs

JL

• Know All
« Reply #27 on: 09-01-17, 08:46PM »
DAVEntry will benefit the most

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #28 on: 09-01-17, 09:36PM »
 >:("533 jobs to be created" baring in mind what has been announced today does anybody buy that statement, I do not
I truly believe that these 533 jobs are basically job titles that are being created, I believe the people filling these job titles will simply be doing the work of the people who Tosco have decided to get rid of, for example the podium monkey positions. I believe the change of title is just a way of legalising making higher paid personnel redundant.
As I have stated before I believe Tosco's aim is for a majority of it's staff to be on a more flexible contract offering less hours.
I believe the new SYA and SYP policies have been designed purely as an aid to help them get rid of, as described by Mr B, the 5% deadwood and more.
Following today, despite it being expected, I will find it hard to believe anything Tosco ever say.  >:(

"WHAT UNION"  >:(

OpShunned

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #29 on: 09-01-17, 09:48PM »
A Tesco spokesman said that in total 444 jobs would be lost at Welham Green, 207 jobs  will be axed at Chesterfield and 364 head office roles will go as part of the restructuring.

Seems to be a disproportionate amount of jobs going at Head Office? Have they already made preparation for 'other' jobs to go very quickly, negating the need for those folk at Head Office who have been earmarked for the chop?

Arizonarugby

« Reply #30 on: 09-01-17, 10:27PM »
Magor is on the old t&cs. As we serve the South West and Wales we should be ok. Distances from reading are too far and the fact that they have taken W. Green volume will work in our favour.  Reading can't cope with what they have now. We'll probably get more work off them.

I wouldn't count your chickens too soon , the fact is that grocery network is operating at less than 50% capacity, so there is plenty of scope to move volume and the grocery network and close at least another 2 DC's .

If you read the announcement properly, you will see that it is worded, wave 1 phase 2, so this would suggest further changes are imminent... so watch this space

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #31 on: 09-01-17, 10:37PM »
1000 job losses, but creating 500 jobs at 2 dcs
probably another 500 part time flexi contracts or agency!!! another cost cutting exercise without a doubt!!!

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #32 on: 09-01-17, 10:38PM »

Certainly is Project Pace. And many doubted it as a mere study.
study my arse >:(

Arizonarugby

« Reply #33 on: 09-01-17, 10:41PM »
Can I just say to the people in the depots closing heartfelt sympathy for been treated in such a way by Tesco. For those of us left let's hope there are no more closures in pipeline but I doubt it, 553 jobs to be created at D. C'S to make up for the closures reading The Telegraph article sounds like Daventry to benefit most. Middlesbrough to get most of general merchandise but don't think anymore jobs

Let's be honest about the mattr(a trait that is clearly alien to DL, MD, AW, ST et al) , the majority of the 533 jobs created will go to agency workers, and those that don't will be given to people  on employed on less favourable t&c's

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #34 on: 09-01-17, 10:59PM »
nail on the head!!! >:(

Equalizer87

• Smart Arse
« Reply #35 on: 09-01-17, 11:02PM »
Certainly is Project Pace. And many doubted it as a mere study.
study my arse >:(

I was referring to those who just claimed it was a "study" . I think now it's becoming more and more obvious, it's the plan, not a study.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

lackofinterest

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 09-01-17, 11:15PM »
i was just agreeing with you equaliser. my comment was aimed at tosco not you :)
« Last Edit: 09-01-17, 11:17PM by lackofinterest »

Stencho

« Reply #37 on: 10-01-17, 12:14AM »
People got made redundant in November. Full time positions redundant ,the jobs offered were mostly 16 and 22 hours. The figures tesco quote may seem OK but they are manipulated, ( surprise surprise).

Arizonarugby

« Reply #38 on: 10-01-17, 12:23AM »
"We have been speaking to colleagues from all sites about what these changes will mean for them, and we will continue to do all we can to support them at this time."

Yet more lies from MD , lots of rumours, hearsay, and scaremongering but no actual facts .

He's making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice.
M@@@ D@@@@s is coming to town....!!!!!!

Equalizer87

• Smart Arse
« Reply #39 on: 10-01-17, 12:38AM »
People got made redundant in November. Full time positions redundant ,the jobs offered were mostly 16 and 22 hours. The figures tesco quote may seem OK but they are manipulated, ( surprise surprise).

And they probably won't be the last, that's the sad reality.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

alf

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #40 on: 10-01-17, 06:09AM »
Welcome to the future of *traditional* retail.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #41 on: 10-01-17, 06:11AM »
One wonders how much the bloated management will be affected by this or will it once again be grass roots blue collar workers who bear the brunt of redundancies.

Also how many of the 500 new jobs will be for the existing tesco colleagues or will they be in the form of contractor jobs?
« Last Edit: 10-01-17, 06:14AM by forrestgimp »

Tom Hardy

« Reply #42 on: 10-01-17, 07:07AM »
We were told in our store that if they closed at Midnight & moved all night staff to twilight's they wouldn't be able to deliver the stock during the open times. Maybe with these new DC's that will pave the way for that :question:

Good luck to all those this affects  :'(

Minnie Mouse

« Reply #43 on: 10-01-17, 08:56AM »
We were told that the night shift WILL not be going in our store as SM says we won't be going to twilight and that was said by the union rep, think he believes everything SM tells him ;D and as we don't have enough space between aisles or enough tiles either, don't think I will hold my breath  ;D

Arizonarugby

« Reply #44 on: 10-01-17, 09:22AM »
"317 new jobs created through a management restructure."

Yet again, more lies and spin from MD, there may be 317 new roles created by the management restructure i.e. replacing work level 2 colleagues  with work level 1 colleagues , but there certainly won't be any new jobs created.

Zlatan_is_a_red

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #45 on: 10-01-17, 09:39AM »
The future certainly is not bright..i fear for the cull of full time contracts!!  a company which is in debt of around £18 billion? Pension deficits of £5.8 billion? How does Dave Lewis claw back that money!!

belfast driver

« Reply #46 on: 10-01-17, 10:33AM »
Is Welham Green the last Tesco DC with the old Blue Book agreement or had it changed in recent years?

Belfast still on blue book. Been talk of a new depot for a long time but this has never happened.
4 out of 7 will do me

Equalizer87

• Smart Arse
« Reply #47 on: 10-01-17, 11:11AM »
The future certainly is not bright..i fear for the cull of full time contracts!!  a company which is in debt of around £18 billion? Pension deficits of £5.8 billion? How does Dave Lewis claw back that money!!

Totally agree  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Equalizer87

• Smart Arse
« Reply #48 on: 10-01-17, 11:36AM »
"One has to hope it's not cost-driven and is naturally occurring, given their better operation in stores," he said.

"Taking away depots and logistics flexibility whilst also taking store night-fill away could leave things very tight indeed."

And this is the reaction of market analysts.

fatboy

« Reply #49 on: 10-01-17, 02:51PM »
I'm a CDD & wondering if anyone knows the answer to the following. I currently have a full time contract & was wondering, if Tosco did eventually get rid of all full time contracts & reduced my hours, but then got more drivers or multi skillers to cover the difference, would this be legal?