Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-09-17, 01:12PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7527
  • Latest: RABEBG
Stats
  • Total Posts: 70582
  • Total Topics: 1535
  • Online Today: 145
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Wellness meeting  (Read 2932 times)

jatbaws

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Wellness meeting
« on: 29-03-17, 03:22PM »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice what does a wellness meeting entail ?

Sammy54

Re: Wellness meeting
« Reply #1 on: 29-03-17, 04:33PM »
Hi a Wellness Meeting is held around 4 weeks after you have been off, if on long term sick. This shouldn't be anything to worry about really. Just an update on your condition/illness.
You should not be getting pressured into coming back to work. This should be a support meeting'.
Although you may have got some shocks if you have been on long term sick recently. Changes in the way sick pay is accrued are pretty harsh.
I have worked for Tesco for 39 years.  My past absence has always been excellent. However due to a condition I now have. I took 9 weeks off almost 2 years ago, this is deducted from your allowance, fallback position being minimum of 6 weeks with 5 yrs service or more. You then have to earn those weeks back.
Therefore when I had to have major surgery recently, same condition  only got 7 weeks sick pay . I had to have the rest of the recovery time with only SSP. And if you happen to be off sick nearing the end of the year, they make you use your Holidays, you will lose them otherwise! You can't request to use them to help you ease your way back to work on your return.
Guess it's cos a lot of people have abused the system year in year out, making it hard for genuine cases. Plus another way of saving money on the wages bill to help out with Al the money the company owes out for one reason or another. Lol!
Sorry..... but otherwise if anyone is genuine, Wellness  Meeting is fine!

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #2 on: 29-03-17, 05:04PM »
"And if you happen to be off sick nearing the end of the year, they make you use your Holidays, you will lose them otherwise!"

Holidays are for holiday you cannot be MADE to use them to cover for time off sick.  You do not lose statuary holidays if not taken in holiday year due to being off sick, they can be carried over to new holiday year

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Sammy54

« Reply #3 on: 29-03-17, 05:39PM »
Hi Nomad
Yes I understand that statutory holiday means 5.6 weeks. So if you still have any more than this to take you would have to use or lose them. I think!! 
Example: Full time colleague with over 15 yrs service would have: 30 days Holidays 8 bank holidays and 1 personal day. So would most likely have some left, over 5.6 weeks?
It has become more complicated for everyone to understand. And it is different to what we have  all  previously known. Suppose we are all expected to read Our Tesco and suck it up!
But yes, Holidays are for recreation, family time etc. Your earned entitlement should be for these occasions , not to get rid of when you are on sick! Plus it is a disadvantage as to what time of year you happen to "fall and break your leg" or whatever !
I hear that in the near future these three elements will be lumped together as one . I.e.: 39 days annual leave. This makes sense. Will be easier for Managers to book them in without any errors   Causing pay shortages if coded wrong.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 29-03-17, 06:53PM »
So if you have Maternity leave ( which is foreseeable) at the end of the year, you can arrange to carry any outstanding leave over to following year. See Holiday Policy.

If you are sick which may not foreseeable you can't carry holidays. Even though Policy states where you are sick on the shift before and after any prebooked holiday, you can reschedule those holidays and that time is then Sickness absence, if this time is close to year end where are you to supposed to reschedule it to, if not rolling it over to following year. Policy regarding Holiday or sickness had no mention off cut offs for these scenarios.

Planned maternity can carry unused holidays, even though you should reasonably have planned your holiday around maternity, so that all entitlement is used, allows carrying over holidays.

Unplanned sickness absence which has much less scope to plan for, doesn't allow carrying holidays over.

Unreasonable Surely, Pregnancy has greater scope to plan for. Because Pregnancy and Maternity is a Protected Characteristic are they allowing holidays to be carried over.
Someone who has Sickness via illness covered as a protected characteristic also should have the same surely.

So I wouldn't say you can't carry over holidays if you are long term sick.

You are entitled to 28 weeks SSP, a statutory right, insisting you use holidays denies you of that right.

« Last Edit: 29-03-17, 06:55PM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

craftyarchie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 29-03-17, 07:09PM »
I have a wellness meeting on friday so I'll come back and give a more helpful answer.
I have been off for a while now and I'm totally confused over the whole payment thing.
 I was signed off sick whilst on holiday, and I had Holidays that were booked in for before the end of the year.
When paid last I had been paid for the booked holidays, otherwise I would have "lost" them!
I can only presume that my SSP formed part of my holiday pay as I am stiil getting SSP from before the holidays and after them with no break inbetween for the first 3 days!
Trying to figure out this payslip and my next one is proving problematic to say the least!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 29-03-17, 07:58PM »
My understanding is if you go off sick immediately before a planned holiday, then you can no longer claim that holiday back  ???

However, long term sick, again my understanding, is that remaining holidays can be carried over to the new holiday year ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

usualsuspect

• Regular Pain
« Reply #7 on: 29-03-17, 08:09PM »
You carry all holiday entitlement for statutory holiday as accrued according to your contract. You do not lose any for certified sickness .

US

craftyarchie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #8 on: 29-03-17, 08:13PM »
Unfortunately the days were all Bank Holidays so they were not part of my statutory entitlement :(

jatbaws

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 29-03-17, 09:22PM »
Thanks for the replies guys  iv got my wellness meeting on Friday been of for 7 weeks  just never had one before  worked for Tesco for 17 years

craftyarchie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 29-03-17, 09:51PM »
Hope it goes well.  I've had a couple in their previous forms. 
It should be informal, although you can take a rep and they will probably takes notes.
From their side it's about helping you to fulfill your contract, in other words return to work, and to identify ways that they can support you in order to do this.  This can be from altered duties, shorter days, using a mix of holidays and normal shifts, different shifts etc.

From your side it can feel like they are pressuring you to come back.  Remember very few healthcare professionals work for Tesco although many managers act like they know better than the issuer of your sick note.  "You must be able to do something?",  "What do you do at home?", "Someone else did that and they were able to come in", are just some of the ridiculous things I've heard over the years!

Remember that they are there to support you, not the other way around.  Also remember that they are motivated by targets and bonuses, got to keep that store absence percentage down & uncovered departments don't get worked.  You need to maintain your health and the long term ability to keep a job and money coming in, indeed if you are currently on SSP and not CSP then you can say that you can barely afford to be ill but have no other option - who needs to have a re-occurence a few weeks down the line?

Lastly if you need to you can, indeed you should, mention to your GP that they are trying to overrule the sick note if you feel that they are forcing you back to work.

Once again good luck.

thecleaningwoman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 30-03-17, 07:50AM »
I had a wellness meeting recently been sick long term and told you can now carry your holidays and bank holidays for upto 18 months

Chojac2412

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 30-03-17, 08:12AM »
If off sick before a holiday I thought you had to ring in to say fit to take holiday or would be coded as sick.
I would also say that if you have run out of sick pay and you are offered the chance to use up holidays at the end of the year then why not do so as you would be paid a normal wage. Same thing applies to using holidays on a return to work. You do now have the option of using holidays to ease you back in. You don't have to but for example if you work five days, Monday-Friday. If you opt to take Wednesday as a holiday for the first two wks back in work it splits your week up and gives you normal pay. It should not be forced, it should be agreed. It would not suit everyone but it would many.
A good or bad manager can make this work or fail.

snowyowl

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 30-03-17, 08:14AM »
Always give them an expected date of return, very important. (even if it's fictitious)  ;)

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 01-04-17, 03:59AM »
Hi a Wellness Meeting is held around 4 weeks after you have been off, if on long term sick. This shouldn't be anything to worry about really. Just an update on your condition/illness.
You should not be getting pressured into coming back to work. This should be a support meeting'.
Although you may have got some shocks if you have been on long term sick recently. Changes in the way sick pay is accrued are pretty harsh.
I have worked for Tesco for 39 years.  My past absence has always been excellent. However due to a condition I now have. I took 9 weeks off almost 2 years ago, this is deducted from your allowance, fallback position being minimum of 6 weeks with 5 yrs service or more. You then have to earn those weeks back.
Therefore when I had to have major surgery recently, same condition  only got 7 weeks sick pay . I had to have the rest of the recovery time with only SSP. And if you happen to be off sick nearing the end of the year, they make you use your Holidays, you will lose them otherwise! You can't request to use them to help you ease your way back to work on your return.
Guess it's cos a lot of people have abused the system year in year out, making it hard for genuine cases. Plus another way of saving money on the wages bill to help out with Al the money the company owes out for one reason or another. Lol!
Sorry..... but otherwise if anyone is genuine, Wellness  Meeting is fine!

Sammy there has been no changes in way sick pay is accrued. What you describing has been in place for at least 17 years.  Holidays should not be used however with exception being your on a return to work programme and working less hours/days during it  and you have no sick pay left then you would have option of using holidays for shortfall to keep your pay up.
« Last Edit: 01-04-17, 04:05AM by Expressdude2016 »

jatbaws

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #15 on: 01-04-17, 05:04AM »
Well it seemed like it was only a meeting to see if there's anything they can do to help me get back to work but I did say I think I had 5 days holiday left and the pm said the company has changed it now and I would get payed in the next wage  so looks like not carried forward  or just another Tesco rule they make up  when it suits them

Sammy54

« Reply #16 on: 01-04-17, 05:05PM »
Hi Expressdude 2016
No it has defo changed over last 3 or 4 years. Sick pay entitlement was reduced to Minimum if 6 weeks for 1 year only then reinstated back to full amount: i.e. 16 weeks for anyone who had worked 15 years or more.
But anyway it stands now that you have to earn the entitlement back by not being on sick ever! Let's hope we all don't have to be! Lol!

Regarding Holidays being carried over when on long term sick. I was definitely told I couldn't. USDAW told me to put my request in writing to the Store Manager, asking if I could use them as a return to work plan when I returned to work. It was a definite no.
 I had to use them in the middle of my sickness, and as someone else mentioned, I lost what I thought was my right to SSP up to 28 weeks.
It seems some stores have a more caring way of dealing with colleagues who have worked a lifetime for them with a great past absence record , who now happen to be getting over a serious illness! 😦

Grifter

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 01-04-17, 09:30PM »
So, every year on the anniversary of your start date your sick allowance is reinstated. Is it always a minimum of 6weeks if you have 5 years service regardless of what sick allowance you have used in the previous year?

his scots tie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #18 on: 01-04-17, 10:14PM »
Yes always minimum of six weeks