Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
21-09-17, 01:05PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 7527
  • Latest: RABEBG
Stats
  • Total Posts: 70582
  • Total Topics: 1535
  • Online Today: 145
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Taking Holidays Before Xmas  (Read 3065 times)

happyhammer

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Taking Holidays Before Xmas
« on: 25-12-16, 08:54PM »
I thought it was written in tablets of stone that on no account would staff be allowed to take holidays in the last few days before xmas! Yet 3 of my colleagues from Eastern Europe were given time off from the 22nd because they were returning home to be with their families. This does not apply to staff with UK passports I was told!!! Before I start to go down the discrimination route can anyone tell me if this arrangement has been made up or it is in fact true.

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
Re: Taking Holidays Before Xmas
« Reply #1 on: 25-12-16, 10:28PM »
Hi no this is not policy you can book holidays for any part of the year. (Many people still have holidays this time of year. Your best to get these dates booked early as possible though.  Can I ask why your going down discrimination route? Did you book these dates and get refused yet someone after you book them and get them off.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 26-12-16, 07:08AM »
This used to happen a lot when the Eastern Europeans first came across to work in tesco, from the tesco arm in their country!

Apparently it was stopped, as colleagues argued that as Christmas leave was based on store specific, these colleagues were being given preferential treatment, as by allowing them this pre arranged agreement, other colleagues in the store were being refused leave due to shortage in staffing levels.

Indeed, in my store a few years ago, a colleague rightly pointed out, that it would take some colleagues longer to travel the length of the country to spend Christmas with their families, than it would take the Eastern Europeans to board a plane at the airport and be in their homes in under four hours!! Some of our Asian colleagues were also Christians, yet no proviso was made for them, should they wish to take longer leave to visit their families at Christmas. It was considered a detriment and could result in racial intolerance!

For the record, there are no freeze weeks for holiday booking. Ordinary department holiday bookings are made on a ' first come first serve' and authorised by their manager. Christmas leave, is best to be requested as early as possible, and again comes under the seven day rule of the manager getting back to you, however they will have to be authorised by the store manager.

So to sum up, what the manager told you is wrong. If you were refused a holiday request, based on the statement given, then indeed it is discrimination.

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #3 on: 26-12-16, 07:59AM »
This 'policy' has become a complete joke.  At my old store the East Europeans used to take, on average, about a week off at Christmas to visit family in their home countries but a British colleague was refused holiday to visit his elderly mum who had retired to Spain.  When he kicked off about it, his holiday was eventually granted which then prompted others to complain that they didn't have the opportunity to visit family in the north of England or Scotland but they were told they would just have to lump it as there were already too many requests granted.

In spite of getting their knickers in a twist over this, the following year management still tried to implement the holiday ban in the two weeks prior to Christmas.  When the East Europeans said they would just take the time unpaid (effectively going awol) the managers started to authorise the holidays on the proviso that they didn't tell anyone - but Tesco being Tesco, word got out.  Managers tried to fob everyone off by saying the holidays they approved were unpaid thinking that the rest of us wouldn't want to take time off if it meant losing money.  Loads of us said we'd take time unpaid if that was the deal but, again, Tesco being Tesco, few actually insisted on the time off so I guess you could say management won.  I don't know what happened the following year as I moved to another store with different Christmas holiday issues going on.

thecleaningwoman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 26-12-16, 11:35AM »
In our store you need to write a letter to  store manager normally 12months in advance with a good  reason

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 26-12-16, 12:21PM »
It's my belief that you can take holiday over the festive period but the store manager has to authorise it. I also believe he has to consider length of service and how many times previously you have had xmas off. I know a few employees who have had 3/4 years off in a row had this year's requests turned down.

heyyouguys

« Reply #6 on: 26-12-16, 04:18PM »
You do not need to write a letter to the store manager to request Xmas off spaces are limited but there are no freeze weeks any time of the year i.e. Easter and xmas

Fair play

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #7 on: 26-12-16, 05:42PM »
I had every Xmas and new year off never had to put it in writing just get my holiday slip in first . No such thing as freeze weeks . Worked at Tesco over twenty +

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 26-12-16, 05:48PM »
in my store on some departments people took time in lue days back xmas week,you could not make it up!

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #9 on: 27-12-16, 09:00PM »
1st come 1st serve.

Nattienat

« Reply #10 on: 31-12-16, 07:15PM »
Don't know what stores you are working in but I've never heard of any one able to book holiday around xmas , a few ppl have if they got a special occasion , but never just because you want them .

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #11 on: 31-12-16, 08:13PM »
The first year I was working in tesco, I was given hols in Xmas week without asking, just cos I was due some.  ;)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 31-12-16, 09:40PM »
Nattienat

Your store is brainwashed by your management!! Ask your rep if there are any freeze weeks when you cannot request holiday leave?? They will tell you no!! Then ask for their support whilst you put in your request for Christmas leave??
« Last Edit: 31-12-16, 09:42PM by lucgeo »

spooner

« Reply #13 on: 31-12-16, 09:51PM »
I had every Xmas and new year off never had to put it in writing just get my holiday slip in first . No such thing as freeze weeks . Worked at Tesco over twenty +
. Same here . It's a first come first served booking system so I always get mine in early .

Nattienat

« Reply #14 on: 01-01-17, 05:19PM »
Nice to know but I know what I've be told if I asked for holidays during Christmas.  Union or no union there'd be no chance in hell.
Thanks

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 01-01-17, 05:28PM »
And that's why they get away with!! Apathy! You may as well stop your Union subs, and spend it on buying some guts!!  :-*

Next time they try to get you disciplined for whatever reason, quoting policies etc.....they may need to be reminded of the agreed policies they overrule on a daily basis  :-X

Nattienat

« Reply #16 on: 01-01-17, 06:42PM »
 :thumbup:

Thenortherner

« Reply #17 on: 10-01-17, 04:24PM »
I've always had holiday over xmas and new year and did so this last one. The difference the last time from all the rest is I was made to feel guilty for doing so. I booked 8 months in advance and will continue to do so!!