Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25-02-17, 02:41AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 77274
  • Total Topics: 2057
  • Online Today: 122
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 52
Total: 57

Author Topic: The health patrol has arrived  (Read 7149 times)

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
The health patrol has arrived
« on: 03-01-17, 08:50PM »
Announced in our store today is that everyones manager will over the next couple of weeks be sitting down with us to confirm our "healthy lifestyle pledge" for 2017, these are then going to be written down and placed in the back area for all to see, apparently managers will keep an eye on our progress and offer "coaching" to anyone who is not keeping to there pledge. Well I can see this one being fun and games as I for one am taking no part in the stupidity (I agree improving our health is something we should all consider) but having it dictated by a Tesco manager no thank you we are adults and can make these choices for ourselves.

That is not all we are being made to do online training around how to improve our mood and mental health, improve our mood is this company trying to wind staff up just look at all the speculation across so many areas of the business and there sitting people down in front of a computer to learn how to be in a better mood.

The final bit and I've saved the best until last, free fruit for all staff to eat every day this month and managers to hand it out to us, and talk to us about the benefits of eating it.

There is also an online health review by a health company we can have this one is "optional" but you do get a free plastic water bottle if you agree to it. Well trust me Tesco the entire thing is optional as far as I am concerned and like I say I think improving our health is a good thing of course it is but being treated like three year olds and given an apple a day well there is nothing suitable I could say on here without it being considered bad language.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Sarah C

Re: The health patrol has arrived
« Reply #1 on: 03-01-17, 09:01PM »
"To improve my health I'm going to take up threesomes, I believe the added input will help me burn off the extra inches. Oh and it will make me happy and smily."
What a load of tosh its c**p like this that is costing millions and adding nothing. Why can't we just say we come to work to pay the bills, I will do the job as my contract states, I will not ride a bicycle to work, I will not enjoy ever mouthful and I don't care where a lettuce comes from!
But we can't. Why don't Tesco take a look at themselves be revolutionary and go back to when we made money and had  colleagues to work with..New year rant over Happy 2017 fellow drones.

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 03-01-17, 09:41PM »
Makes me wish I still worked there, uncollected me be to workout by hitting managers who make stupid comments in the head, I'd be ripped by February.

Loki

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Justice is the sanction of established injustice
« Reply #3 on: 03-01-17, 10:16PM »
The idiots just cannot help themselves. I mean, for goodness sake, what planet do they live on?

Pledges for this, pledges for that, but this tops them all.

No thank you. Much the same as all the other "pledges" and WMTY initiatives, I will refrain from participating in such nonsense.
Life is a monstrous demented gag. Madness is the emergency exit.
I will not reply to unsolicited PM's.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #4 on: 03-01-17, 10:30PM »
 :D
If they try it in my store, I'm going for the threesome idea. Thanks for that, Sarah C.

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 03-01-17, 11:03PM »
Well here's my lifestyle promise to Tosco
I will eat what i want - when i want ,
I will drink just as much as i have always done - if not more when i want ,
If i want to smoke i will do so ,
my mood is only happy once i have done these habits . :) :D ;D.
As for the free fruit would i be entitled to that whilst i am a customer shopping ( having the " Free " fruit what the company recommends i have ? ) or would that be grazing - shop lifting ?   ??? 8-)
( Personally i like my fruit out of a tin with ice cream served with it - now that being served by a manager might just improve my mood ). ;D ;D

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 03-01-17, 11:22PM »
No Porkers on the payroll.

optout

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 03-01-17, 11:35PM »
Sarah C and Tumshie

I'm in !......so .....we've got the who......just a question of where and when......I'd better do some limbering up first though....,.,.it's been a long time. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

who needs all those fancy dating sites ;)
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse

LiveMyLife

« Reply #9 on: 04-01-17, 02:37AM »
We have free fruit at our store, the managers keep saying "make sure you grab some fruit xxxxxxxx!"

Haven't heard anything about these health lifestyle pledges tho.

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 04-01-17, 02:46AM »
Nurse: "Doctor, doctor, the patient is slipping away!"
Doctor: "Give him an apple and tell him to get better"

They are oblivious to the extent Tesco CAUSES ill-health, especially stress - and of course, stress can lead to smoking, drinking and comfort eating.  Instead of lecturing us and free fruit they should replace moron managers with ones who actually care about their staff, redesign their policies and procedures (including flexi-contracts that cause financial worries) and BE open and honest with colleagues (instead of pretending) about company restructuring and job security.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #11 on: 04-01-17, 03:10AM »
 :thumbup:
optout and Sarah C, see you in the training room 4 some fun-at-work. I'm happier already  ;)

GasMonkey

« Reply #12 on: 04-01-17, 07:29AM »
Total and utter Bull#### They can shove it where a Monkey shoves it's nuts

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 04-01-17, 07:41AM »
Typical BS from the caged monkeys at HO.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

bootsdaroff

« Reply #14 on: 04-01-17, 08:28AM »
Tell me this who said a manager is qualified to speak to us mere mortals about healthy eating. I don't want to be too harsh but half you seen half of these managers. This will be coming from the very people who can't even draw up a rota correctly. They can go and throw s**te at the moon  :D

captain

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 04-01-17, 09:51AM »
2 observations

Firstly my manager is overweight and out of condition through sitting down in the office too much, looking forward to a lecture on lifestyle and fitness from her.

Secondly I will just smile sweetly, make up a stupid pledge and get my free fruit every day.

If that's what the "brains" at the top want that is exactly what they will get.

And so the game goes on

fargone

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 04-01-17, 10:20AM »
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Mungo

« Reply #17 on: 04-01-17, 10:39AM »
Gonna have some fun with this, if my store bothers to do it.

Morris999

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 04-01-17, 10:50AM »
FFS!
I cannot believe they are actually going to roll this out after last years trial fiasco with this!
Yes that's right they actually had a dry run last year when the SM/PM did the same thing to the management team in my store!
We had an overweight SM/PM lecturing a cross country runner and bodybuilder on healthy eating in one of our JTP meetings last January!
I'll be honest I've no idea if there was meant to be pledges or follow up meetings/guidance as after 5 mins all the managers were laughing there heads off while those 2 overweight idiots were trying to have a serious discussion about it!
After 10 minutes of laughing and the PM getting extremely angry as no-one was taking her seriously we got up and walked out!
Clearly she fed it back that it was a success!!!!!!

JL

• Know All
« Reply #19 on: 04-01-17, 12:22PM »
So we are all meant to listen to our overweight LMs who have poor sick records, who rarely does a hands turn and smokes and drinks more than any of us.  The company should sort out staff levels and stock control issues in media. Can you pledge Redundancy at a small fee as the atmosphere is unhealthy. Some managers seem to think the only way to get you to do something is by shouting and swearing. This initiative was meant to be to improve staff sickness levels. All they need to do is tell people they can take Redundancy and if jobs will be safe. DL is using fear and uncertainty to add to his 39000 target.
« Last Edit: 04-01-17, 12:27PM by JL »

wellhereiam

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 04-01-17, 02:47PM »
If I still worked there and had my manager trying to give me healthy lifestyle advice and a daily piece of fruit I'd be telling him exactly where to shove that banana....

captain

• Know All
« Reply #21 on: 04-01-17, 02:52PM »
FFS!
I cannot believe they are actually going to roll this out after last years trial fiasco with this!
Yes that's right they actually had a dry run last year when the SM/PM did the same thing to the management team in my store!
We had an overweight SM/PM lecturing a cross country runner and bodybuilder on healthy eating in one of our JTP meetings last January!
I'll be honest I've no idea if there was meant to be pledges or follow up meetings/guidance as after 5 mins all the managers were laughing there heads off while those 2 overweight idiots were trying to have a serious discussion about it!
After 10 minutes of laughing and the PM getting extremely angry as no-one was taking her seriously we got up and walked out!
Clearly she fed it back that it was a success!!!!!!
Ah yes the  famous "trial" again, if something gets "trailed" you can bet your bottom dollar it will get rolled out in the future.

Examples being, team leaders going, nights in small to medium sized Tesco's going, canteen serving hot food, no more full time staff, all flexi hours. All these have been "trialed" with the bleeding obvious outcome every time.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #22 on: 04-01-17, 07:09PM »
If tesco wants it staff to eat healthy get rid of the sweets and sugary drinks vending machine every canteen has.....go back to chefs cooking lunches from scratch rather than zapping a frozen ready meals......and sort out shifts times so no one ever has to go from late to early.

JL

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 04-01-17, 08:22PM »
Londoner83

You can only take so much of the Ts own brand.

Bringing back scratch chefs would be good but we all know it seems to be use what we have or lose it now.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #24 on: 04-01-17, 08:44PM »
  >:( They've started it at my Depot, a bunch of overweight, chain smoking, alcoholic patronising tw*ts handing fruit out. As I have said before it's my belief that Tosco's hierarchy know the damage they are doing due to unacceptable pressure being put on their staff, mental problems, depression etc. Deal with that if you are going to do anything, idiots.  >:(