Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-04-19, 12:54AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 56438
  • Total Topics: 1001
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 38
Total: 40

Author Topic: hours change  (Read 7069 times)

dexter35yrs1

hours change
« on: 13-12-16, 06:04PM »
looking for clarification--my store wants to move me 4 hours forward, (i was under the impression they could only move 2 hours either way )
is a 4 hour move unreasonable ?..if i refuse to change and they go down the "constructive dismissal route" is it still 1 week per year up to a maximum of 12 ? and do i stay on the original shift for the duration..many thanks...

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: hours change
« Reply #1 on: 13-12-16, 06:54PM »
dexter

It depends on the 4 hour change? If it goes into unsociable hours etc....it would be my understanding, that a four hour change would not be deemed unreasonable, if it incorporates the majority of your present contracted hours, and doesn't take you into premium hours ??? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :o

It is one week a year, and yes you stay on your original contracted hours for the duration. Without you going into detail, if you can show that the hours are unacceptable due to commitments etc.... It is very rare to be dissmssed on constructive dismissal.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dexter35yrs1

« Reply #2 on: 13-12-16, 07:00PM »
hi they want to go from 10pm to 2am.. i only have 1\2 hour break not 1 1\2 break n dinner.. ill end up losing yet more money..

musicman

« Reply #3 on: 13-12-16, 07:16PM »
so you work nights filling shelves dexter?

dexter35yrs1

« Reply #4 on: 13-12-16, 07:27PM »
hi musicman no not filling shelves another dept..

musicman

« Reply #5 on: 13-12-16, 07:43PM »
thanks dexter,i find it very unfair moving peoples hrs just to save money

dexter35yrs1

« Reply #6 on: 13-12-16, 07:47PM »
i agree they are messing with peoples lives all they care about is profit..

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 13-12-16, 08:03PM »
Just the same with Boxing/New Years day at my local Metro, trying to bully staff into giving up their time off to work. Is the store gaffer doing it? Is he heck.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

part of the problem

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 13-12-16, 08:37PM »
The days where tesco would simply accommodate people's hrs are gone. If they feel the hours arnt right for the business then that's that now. I do think they went too soft and had many hrs in the wrong place for years.We all witnessed dept overmanned weekdays in the day time and short evening and weekends. They are undoing years of People pleasing. I think the days of set shifts are definitely numbered, flexibility is 100% the future. whether it's number of hrs, time hrs worked and department worked on with all be based on needs of the business.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #9 on: 13-12-16, 09:20PM »
dexter35yrs1, do they want to move your whole shift forward by 4 hours? Or start 4 hours later but finish at same time?
Either way, coming in at 2am instead of 10pm doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Remember, they have to be able to make a written case for how the business will benefit from the change they want to make and why it is your hours that have to change.
It isn't good enough just to say the magic phrase "needs of the business" or "it's on the heat map" .
http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Right_Hours_Right_Place

Also, if you do lose money because of a change they have requested, you are entitled to protected pay.
http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Protected_pay

oddjob

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 13-12-16, 10:06PM »
tesco do what they want"""  make you redundant,,then take someone on for your job??

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 14-12-16, 12:46AM »
if they make me redundant i wont give a f*** who they give my job to. theyre welcome to it!!!

Redshoes

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 14-12-16, 09:56AM »
The days where tesco would simply accommodate people's hrs are gone. If they feel the hours arnt right for the business then that's that now. I do think they went too soft and had many hrs in the wrong place for years.We all witnessed dept overmanned weekdays in the day time and short evening and weekends. They are undoing years of People pleasing. I think the days of set shifts are definitely numbered, flexibility is 100% the future. whether it's number of hrs, time hrs worked and department worked on with all be based on needs of the business.

Agree

Aeroquack

« Reply #13 on: 14-12-16, 11:41AM »
Time will tell.

dexter35yrs1

« Reply #14 on: 14-12-16, 05:31PM »
Tumshe they want me to do 2-11  my present shifts are 10-6 which will mean most of my hours will be day shift..no mention yet of protected pay or cushion payment..

blutopia

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 14-12-16, 06:55PM »
Apart from loss of earnings, I think it is unreasonable to ask someone to start work at 2am.  If you are not within walking distance and had transport problems down the line I doubt there would be a public transport alternative and I doubt the company would be at all supportive of you being unable to get to work.  If you are within walking distance, depending on the details of your route you could be quite vulnerable at that time in the morning.

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #16 on: 16-12-16, 07:59PM »
I would say this is a very unreasonable change. Out of interest do u work on pi?
« Last Edit: 16-12-16, 08:01PM by StinkyPoo »

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 16-12-16, 08:30PM »
Similar situation with my friend who works PI. They wanted to force him to change from 5am - 2pm to a 2pm - 11pm because of "needs of the business". Yet the PI role would only have been for one hour during this shift. What would he have done for the rest of it?? This remained unclear. So he has  been fighting it ever since.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

dexter35yrs1

« Reply #18 on: 18-01-17, 08:14AM »
Just an update ..protected pay will be in place. They basically said there is no room for negotiation..I have asked for the business plan..has the consultation gone to 45 days or is it still at 30 days ?  Also is the contractual notice still one week per year or has that been removed altogether..thanks peeps.will update after next meeting.

dexter35yrs1

« Reply #19 on: 11-02-19, 08:57AM »
update - they have still not kept to their part of the agreement but I have..my mgr keeps telling me every time I ask to revert to my old hours the store mgr wont allow it..but when I am off on hols someone covers my hours but they are allowed to come in on my old hours..so where do I stand ? can I just revert back to my old hours stating they have not kept to their agreement or go with discrimination grievance...advice welcome..thanks

hornimans135

« Reply #20 on: 22-02-19, 09:27AM »
Can you ask to look at the Heat map?

Can they move you from an early shift to a late shift and put someone else in your late shift.?

Blodwyn

« Reply #21 on: 22-02-19, 10:48AM »
Can they move you from an early shift to a late shift and put someone else in your late shift.?
I don't think it's legal to take those hours away from you, unless you want to, and give them to someone else.

LucyJ

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #22 on: 22-02-19, 06:44PM »
Everyone should go to the papers the way they are messing with people's lives!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 23-02-19, 09:17AM »
Can you ask to look at the Heat map?

Yes you can ask to look at the heat map, they should be offering you the right to see it anyway, to show that there is a need to change. They also should be explaining and have a written case of how it is "needs of the business"

No they cannot move your shift and put someone into that shift!! Once that shift has been removed, it cannot be reinstated as a shift, or given to another within six months. Early or late shift? Depends on whether the majority of hours you are doing fall within the new shift pattern.
« Last Edit: 23-02-19, 09:20AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Tom Hardy

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 23-02-19, 11:49AM »
update - they have still not kept to their part of the agreement but I have..my mgr keeps telling me every time I ask to revert to my old hours the store mgr wont allow it..but when I am off on hols someone covers my hours but they are allowed to come in on my old hours..so where do I stand ? can I just revert back to my old hours stating they have not kept to their agreement or go with discrimination grievance...advice welcome..thanks

It's been two years you should have fought it at the time as moving you from 10pm to 2am & to have more hours on days than nights was wrong. As for someone covering you while on hols they need the shift covered & if someone says "I will do it but not doing 2am but I will do 10pm instead" then the manager will accept as it needs doing.