Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:02AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62880
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 94
Total: 96

Author Topic: hours change  (Read 17115 times)

dexter35yrs1

Re: hours change
« Reply #25 on: 08-03-19, 12:48PM »
many thanks for your replys.. :thumbup:

odif

« Reply #26 on: 05-05-19, 11:21PM »
I am going from full time to part time 4 day worker on perm contract,with 2 years protected pay,what I want to know is if someone goes on holiday can they change your days and shifts/

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 06-05-19, 06:37AM »
If your contract is permanent with set 4 day pattern, then no, you only have to work your contracted hours/ days.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

BoredBaker

« Reply #28 on: 31-05-19, 05:51PM »
Hello I was looking for some advice from you all. I work in the bakery and my manager had a team meeting with us this morning to tell us we were all going to maybe have our hours changed. We’ve all had to fill in sheets with hours we can work. The new heat map is saying we don’t need 2 bakers and 2 packers in a day as we currently do. I do 7-4 shifts just now as the later starting Baker, so will my hours be changed? I was told I might need to have my shifts changed to 10-7 or 11-8. I’m on a flexible contract but my availability sheets only has me down until 6pm. Can they change all my shifts now then without me able to do anything about it?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 31-05-19, 05:53PM »
They can't change your shifts if it contravenes what you've put down on the availability form.

BoredBaker

« Reply #30 on: 31-05-19, 06:03PM »
They can't change your shifts if it contravenes what you've put down on the availability form.

I have 5am-6pm on my flexi sheet so can they change me to a 9-6 instead of 7-4 now then? Will my set days off remain the same too or will they put pressure on me to start working those days? I only work Monday, Tuesday and Friday. My manager keeps saying they need someone for a Sunday permanently and asking if I’d be available for it which I feel is putting pressure on me. When I say no I get asked why! Why should I have to tell them what I do outside of work. I hate this 

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #31 on: 31-05-19, 06:47PM »
Boredbaker tell them to fk off and put in a grievance for bullying and harassment if they persist to ask you personal questions.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 31-05-19, 09:48PM »
Is your department going through Right Hours Right Place (RHRP)? If not they can't just change your hours, if so, you should be sitting down and having set meetings with your manager and rep, to discuss the change and the needs of the business.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #33 on: 01-06-19, 07:19AM »
With regards Sunday just hand in a Sunday opt out form as legally no one can be made to work on a Sunday.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #34 on: 01-06-19, 12:34PM »
Is your department going through Right Hours Right Place (RHRP)? If not they can't just change your hours, if so, you should be sitting down and having set meetings with your manager and rep, to discuss the change and the needs of the business.

If they see a department which is over contracted hours they should allow people to take voluntary redundancy.  :)

BoredBaker

« Reply #35 on: 22-06-19, 07:15PM »
My department is going through RHRP and myself and another colleague have been asked to move our shifts to late shifts. We’ve been told the formal process has started and if we don’t agree within 30 days our contract may be terminated. They are moving my shift back by 6hrs so I finish at 10pm at night now. I’m not willing to do this whatsoever. Any advice? 

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 22-06-19, 07:47PM »
Apparently the entire process for RHRP has changed very rece8, it's now one informal meeting and 2 formal meetings and then they can give you contractual notice .
I've no idea if stores are adhering  to this but have been told they'll be no more flexibility due to scheduler.

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #37 on: 22-06-19, 09:06PM »
My department is going through RHRP and myself and another colleague have been asked to move our shifts to late shifts. We’ve been told the formal process has started and if we don’t agree within 30 days our contract may be terminated. They are moving my shift back by 6hrs so I finish at 10pm at night now. I’m not willing to do this whatsoever. Any advice?

Tell them “no” for me to bother talking with them the “may be” would need to be a bit more “definite”.  Are they playing guessing games now. Alternative= F off.

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #38 on: 22-06-19, 09:12PM »
RHRP uses the 'moving hours' policy which was last updated April 2018.

There is a minimum of 2 formal meetings plus a final contractual notice meeting. It is worth getting a rep's health but at minimum:

1. They should provide a valid business reason for the move
2. They should provide information about any other vacancies in the store or nearby ( not just a take it or leave it approach)

BoredBaker

« Reply #39 on: 22-06-19, 09:34PM »
So they are quite within their rights to do this then? I thought there would be some policy on reasonable shift adjustments like a couple of hours here and there? Not 6hrs movement

Jethro

« Reply #40 on: 22-06-19, 10:01PM »
Tell them you will do it , but you will have to stick to the hours so don't be asking you go in early when someone else is on holiday or sick .

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #41 on: 22-06-19, 10:09PM »
@Walker,  can you give advice to bored Baker about the valid business reason , I went through this a few years ago , (drastic changes , hours, dept, etc) . They just kept showing me the heat map as their business case .
@boredbaker , Lucego and opt out have me amazing advice about RHRP , hopefully they'll reply , I fought them for a really long time and got a slightly better outcome but it was very stressful and I had to put in grievances and take it out of store . I feel this change in policy gives staff very little to fight with . Good luck

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #42 on: 22-06-19, 10:42PM »
Given that the store manager has the authority to deviate from the heat map it is probably not acceptable for them to rely on it as a sufficient business need. In the moving hours informal checklist it is pretty explicit that they need to show actual business impacts.

This will vary from case to case, including:
1. Impacts on store routines (missed deadlines etc)
2. Impacts on store budget.
3. Impacts on customer service.

But, in a fundamental way, Tesco needs to give a reason for the move that an Employment tribunal would accept as reasonable in the event of a constructive dismissal case.

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #43 on: 22-06-19, 10:53PM »
So they are quite within their rights to do this then? I thought there would be some policy on reasonable shift adjustments like a couple of hours here and there? Not 6hrs movement

I don't think my advice is going to be that helpful here but there isn't any set policy like you suggest. What is reasonable depends on the circumstances of the individual.

It echoes redundancy law in that regard.

There are a list of example objections in the formal consultation checklist for example childcare or dependant care arrangements, disability moves, religious obligations, travel arrangements etc.

If your wage is reduced by 50% you would be entitled to redundancy.

Otherwise, it's done on a case by case basis.

Make sure you explain what negative impacts the move will have on you.

Would an employment tribunal consider the offered hours/ job change reasonable? If yes, you are only entitled to contractual notice. If no, Tesco can still make the changes but you would be entitled to redundancy.

If you have access to our Tesco go to people policies and find 'moving hours' in the A-Z.
« Last Edit: 22-06-19, 10:59PM by Walker »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #44 on: 22-06-19, 10:57PM »
Then what's to stop Tesco incrementenally decreasing your hours over time? Say you were contracted 36.5 hours, then they take you down to 30 3 months later, then 24 in another 3 months, before you know it you're below half of your original hours?

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #45 on: 22-06-19, 11:04PM »
It would still trigger redundancy law even if done incrementally like that provided that the moves were all involuntary.

It's a statutory right.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #46 on: 23-06-19, 08:44AM »
@BoredBaker

It would seem to suggest that more than 50% of your shift is being moved to later hours. That would seem unreasonable to me. The more reasons against the change you can give them, should be carefully considered by them....e.g. public transport timetables, increased length of journey on public transport to other stores, as you no longer have your own transport as you couldn't afford it ( ;)) ......you have another job, childcare commitments, if you're a recognised carer etc...
What is your rep saying?? They should have updated RHRP booklets as a guide, these have scenarios of what is/isn't a reasonable change, and the reasons why.
Tesco need to be proving a detailed needs of the business for moving your hours especially to such a degree. Have you contacted ACAS for some guidance on this?

Alvor the grear

« Reply #47 on: 12-07-19, 09:09AM »
Hi I'm in a similar situation at my store and they want to change my hours from a 4 day week 7.5 hrs a day 1.5 break = 9 hour shift total 30 hrs a week. What they want is 5 shifts a week 6hours per day = my 30 hours These are 5am starts as are on the backdoor. I am dead against and have refused so far can they force me to change? My contract says flexi though I begain working with Tesco in october 2001 at another store I was permanent there moved to a metro / superstore 9 yrs ago and they put me on flexi though I never agreed to this. I only do overtime if mutually agreed and when asked to fill out availability form some months ago I only put my contracted 4 shifts as my availability. I believe doing another 5am start will negatively impact my work / life balance. Any advice appreciated

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #48 on: 12-07-19, 09:16AM »
It depends on what you've put on your availability form, if you've put you can work the hours they want you to work, on a flexi contract they can push through that change, saying that however you can ask to change your availability on a form or opt out of Sundays.

If it says you can't work those hours on the availability form, they can't force you to work them.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #49 on: 12-07-19, 10:46AM »
As you only put the hours/ days you're already working on your availability form, then that's your availability. When they put you on a flexi contract 9 years ago, I take it they didn't provide an availability form at that time? Now I don't profess to have a clear understanding on flexi contracts, but I was of the understanding that there are two types, flexi permanent contract, and flexi core hours working with the availability form provided.

As you say you have been working the same contracted days/hours, for the last 9 years, which in itself should now be recognised as your permanent contract due to the amount of years, to ask you to work an extra day, is in my opinion an unreasonable request. I was informed in the last RHRP meeting a few years back, that I would need to spread my hours from 4 days over 5. My response was that I already worked s*** hours doing a s*** job, so I wasn't prepared to give up my day off and more petrol money doing an extra day in the same s*** job.  :-X

I have heard lately that a lot of colleagues are being informed that they are on flexi contracts, who, like you, have worked many years oblivious to that fact ???  I personally think these contracts have been done automatically for new starters over the last few years, without them being informed.