Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24-05-17, 04:30PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Express Store managers  (Read 28141 times)

kurious1234

• Regular Pain
Re: Express Store managers
« Reply #75 on: 10-01-17, 06:15PM »
Trouble is, when the last express restructure happened, duty manager was changed to deputy, and all the existing duty managers (including me) did have to re-apply and go through a very painful interview process. There was no option of redundancy then, and those who failed the interview process (the vast majority, including me) were demoted to team leader with a cushion payment and protected pay. Shift leader/runner sounds very similar to team leader, who do run shifts anyway.

I'm guessing all the existing deputies will be offered redundancy, as their role is being made...well, redundant. Those deputies that decide to drop down to team leader will therefore squeeze out at least one existing team leader. So maybe expressdude is correct in his speculation, and it's certainly worth taking notice of. I've been here before, so I know how it works, and I'm keeping my options open.

I would certainly consider very carefully redundancy if it was offered, but I can't see that happening.

During the last restructure, from duty to deputy, the guys had to interview because they were moving work levels, a duty Manager in Express was only a work level 1 (TL) whilst the new style Deputy (at the time) was and is a Level 2

Duty/Deputy is a level 1 post and always has been I'm sure . Store manager is level 2. Even Ops manager is still level 2. In previous structure change it was Duty (Level 1) to Deputy (Level 1). Therefore no redundancies offered. This time its removing the level 1 role so redundancy should be offered.
« Last Edit: 10-01-17, 06:19PM by kurious1234 »

Dougall

« Reply #76 on: 10-01-17, 07:55PM »
Expresslady

No tls would be squeezed out by deputies as they are creating more tl roles

blutopia

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #77 on: 10-01-17, 10:13PM »
I heard they want to replace the DM with just 1/2 of a TL position (or should I say shift runner).  How that would pan out in practice, I can only guess.  More likely, I think, that an existing CA will run a couple of shifts per week than recruit a new part-time shift runner.

kurious1234

• Regular Pain
« Reply #78 on: 10-01-17, 10:36PM »
Trial is to replace DM with a TL and a part time TL. Makes sense when so many shops are crying out for cover due to sick calls etc. Will leave a skill gap between SM and TL(shift leader) which will put more pressure on SM. Thats the companys choice. Pros and cons. Final choice will be the one that cuts costs as with the cuts in other formats

AlexM

• Know All
« Reply #79 on: 11-01-17, 07:14AM »
Store managers are definitely gonna find their jobs harder. & I can see any DM who has no choice but to step down not being to willing to do any "manager" tasks. Especially whilst they sit & take their 1.5 hour breaks. I feel for any DM that does have to take the team leader positions.

This will also expose those useless Sm's who have got where they are by brown nosing & haven't a clue how to run a shop save for their deputy doing it for them!

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #80 on: 11-01-17, 07:24AM »
Every restructure that has involved roles being (like TL and now DM's) only results in how much those people were actually needed ( genuine or not). I remember  the TL's  getting cut in Extras and how it really disjointed the Extra I worked in with ex TL's being begged to cover management holidays.
I fear the same will only happen with axing DM'S in express, SM's will feel overburdened and the lower roles will lack a reliable leadership structure.
The whole thing is just hollowing out the structure of each format.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Teddybonkers

« Reply #81 on: 11-01-17, 03:30PM »
Have to disagree with Equalizer87. In my opinion the DM is little more than a glorified TL - a few extra duties and a cheap suit is the only real difference. I expect that the additional duties of the DM will be absorbed into the new Shift Leader JD's, so its unlikely to have much effect on the Store Managers workload. I hope Tesco invest the savings by putting more CA's on the shop floor  - but I very much doubt it !

Expressdude2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #82 on: 11-01-17, 03:42PM »
The DM saving is being used to fund the shift leader which is replacing them and the part time shift leader that each store is getting. In many cases this will possibly cost more than what the stores Dm was on FT shift leader  18.1k basic and p/t 9.9k which is 28k wich is near te top end of what some DMs will be on but many are only on around the 22k.

kurious1234

• Regular Pain
« Reply #83 on: 11-01-17, 04:02PM »
Expressdude your figures are accurate but remember for it to cost more it means they have to increase payroll budgets. I doubt that will happen. The store payroll budget will determine the cost in the end. Therefore if the DM was on lowest pay and a shift leader and PT shift leader costs more then they will have to work on losing CA hours to make budget. This is how they make the savings. I dont think the present Tesco leadership will invest in payroll. Track record so far is only cut cut cut.

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #84 on: 11-01-17, 07:25PM »

Your second paragraph is nearer the truth. Your first is miles off.  Very few deputies get the time or have had the training to complete their job.  There are probably 1 in 10 effective deputies. Their incomplete workload isn't done by team leaders.

Alex m

"Store managers are definitely gonna find their jobs harder. & I can see any DM who has no choice but to step down not being to willing to do any "manager" tasks. Especially whilst they sit & take their 1.5 hour breaks. I feel for any DM that does have to take the team leader positions.

This will also expose those useless Sm's who have got where they are by brown nosing & haven't a clue how to run a shop save for their deputy doing it for them! "
« Last Edit: 11-01-17, 07:27PM by Rad »

expressman77

« Reply #85 on: 11-01-17, 09:30PM »
teddybonkers. you have either worked with poor DMs or very good tl. alot of dms have to pick up the pieces the tl leave behind as they go out of the door at 2.30

Teddybonkers

« Reply #86 on: 11-01-17, 11:49PM »
Exactly my point johng061, they are not managers, they are doing the same job as TL's most of the time.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #87 on: 11-01-17, 11:52PM »
There are good and bad team leaders and express deputy's unfair to label one group all good and the other all bad.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Talisman

« Reply #88 on: 12-01-17, 12:02AM »
Haha your a funny guy who have you been working with? Amitures by the sounds. If you think a DM is a TL  your as deluded as dave Lewis himself. They will not like being accountable now not like the DMS do. All that extra responsibility  for what? 

lol ok

« Reply #89 on: 12-01-17, 07:50AM »
Well, I'm looking forward to not having to do, training, reviews, holiday planning, Rotas , absences reviews/investigations, disciplinary reviews/investigations, looking after store standards (which lets face it tl's don't really do, they just run shift), looking after compliance to deliver green/blue audits (again something TL don't really do, they just run shift - which you can't blame them for, it's their job), till loss investigations, not to mention everything you do when your sm is on holiday, all the unpaid overtime and break time that gets sacrificed.
Oh no wait, I'm not looking forward to it, having the extra responsibilities is what's been paying my mortgage.
Out of interest, the guy who said dms and tls do the same job, what job do you do?

Wow that was a little bit passive aggressive  ???

expressman77

« Reply #90 on: 12-01-17, 08:10AM »
Lol ok.  So true, apart from the money it sounds a lot easier job. Not forgetting the phone calls at home, having to change day off because of a visit also will DMs now get premiums for late nights and working Sundays .......

Expressdude2016

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #91 on: 12-01-17, 11:18AM »
No one gets late night premiums anymore. Also no dMs won't get premiums for working Sundays as there won't be any which is main point of this thread.

kurious1234

• Regular Pain
« Reply #92 on: 12-01-17, 11:25AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jay-rich

« Reply #93 on: 12-01-17, 01:14PM »
So when is the structure in express changing?

kurious1234

• Regular Pain
« Reply #94 on: 12-01-17, 01:26PM »
That's what we all want know. Hopefully an announcement soon. Trial/pilot should end this week or next as original communication was 18 Oct for 12 week trial.

Pathfinder

• Regular Pain
  • Believe
« Reply #95 on: 12-01-17, 04:06PM »
A desperate plea has gone out for a list of all gold Ca's who want to stand up to full or pt Tl roles and a big push on training for them.

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #96 on: 12-01-17, 04:07PM »
A desperate plea indeed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

expressman77

« Reply #97 on: 12-01-17, 04:12PM »
that's what I mean if dm are same as tl or the new title shift leader. they get  sunday premiums at moment

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #98 on: 12-01-17, 04:22PM »
thay dont get late nights premium though

AlexM

• Know All
« Reply #99 on: 12-01-17, 04:25PM »
Still won't make up for the loss in pay, tho.