Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:09AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60799
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: .com observations and questions  (Read 20116 times)

sidimilo

.com observations and questions
« on: 26-11-16, 10:10AM »
Hi all

I am new to this forum and would like to share my observations and ask a few questions.
I have now been a part time driver at dot com for just over 18 months, my first impression of Tesco home delivery was of a supermarket trying to be a delivery company (and not very good at it). After 18 months nothing as changed my mind the whole system seems to be run by logarithms.

My questions are as fellows  (nobody at my store seems to know the answer or are unwilling to answer)

Are the store leaving times based on the vans being pre-loaded
Do delivery times change for the time of day (eg allow for rush hour)
Are the store management allowed to over ride the times
Are any other drivers starting work in early and finish later and not having a full hours lunch break to achieve the times given

any comments please

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Re: .com observations and questions
« Reply #1 on: 26-11-16, 10:34AM »
Yes, for vans scheduled to leave within 30 minutes of the driver's shift starting, otherwise assumes the driver has time to load the van
No
Yes - they can cap the number of vans and number of deliveries per hour to be scheduled
Yes they are but they are fools for doing so - better to bring back undelivereds, have your full lunch break and leave at the end of your shift and make it your manager's problem not yours.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

sidimilo

« Reply #2 on: 26-11-16, 10:41AM »
Just as I thought

But where does the 30 minutes come from the norm seems to be 20 minutes at my store and last week expected to load 70 trays and van check in that time plus return to store 10 mins before end of shift.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 26-11-16, 11:12AM »
Still people continue to work through there unpaid break.

Until people start to return deliveries to store and say they are not prepared to do it Ts will think all is well.

The company source staff for nothing via government run agencies. If you want to volunteer chose where you do it.

This is a private business who are sending staff home because they are getting away with exploiting people.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 26-11-16, 11:50AM »
But where does the 30 minutes come from
to be honest that is not definitive as it is one of those important little details that are not actually written down as part of the process you are supposed to follow.  Tesco's biggest failing when it comes to training - you have to rely on hearsay and what you thought you heard being said during any so-called "training sessions".

Of course the first 15 minutes are for you to check your route and paperwork, set up the Reach, do the van checks etc.  Which leaves 15 minutes for actual loading which, of course depends on the size of the load, where the marshalling area is in relation to the loading area etc etc

dazzle

« Reply #5 on: 26-11-16, 07:10PM »
Hey guys, i work for sainsburys online it so easy the way we do deliveries. You guys sound like you have it tough split day deliveries everyday sod that.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 26-11-16, 07:16PM »
dazzle any chance of a job?

dazzle

« Reply #7 on: 26-11-16, 07:42PM »
If you can handle chillin in the van for a few hours most days watching catch up on your phone lol sure.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 26-11-16, 07:59PM »
If you can handle chillin in the van for a few hours most days watching catch up on your phone lol sure.

Sounds good to me.

It's either that or am freezing my baws off at Ts and catching up with my disciplinary meetings  :)

Not very use to doing naff all but it's about time I did.
« Last Edit: 26-11-16, 08:01PM by JL »

dazzle

« Reply #9 on: 26-11-16, 08:05PM »
I get wrong totes on my van all the time hehe I don't know where it went miss manager honest ....burp. lol :D  :thumbup:

Crocodile Dundee Centre

« Reply #10 on: 26-11-16, 08:59PM »
You must be an asset to Sainsbury eh  :(

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 26-11-16, 10:47PM »
Hey guys, i work for sainsburys online it so easy the way we do deliveries. You guys sound like you have it tough split day deliveries everyday sod that
Not sure if my dodgy knees could take much of that carrying heavy groceries up and down the steps at the back of a Sainsbury van all day long.  Very inefficient design in my honest opinion.

dazzle

« Reply #12 on: 26-11-16, 10:58PM »
I was joking about the tote thing. We have an issue with our labelling at the mo. So totes end up on diff vans. Yh i do have strong thigh muscles its just practice for the 4th floor flats. Good when it rains tho keeps me dry. Lol

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 26-11-16, 11:42PM »
Yes leaving times are based on the idea of your van being loaded but don't expect it, or it'll be loaded and 20 minutes late when you get to work.

Traffic is ignored entirely in he tesco routing system, try working in London trying to explain traffic to a manager, I could teach quantum physics to a chimp with greater success.

Managers can make adjustments to the routing, but you'd need to find one with any actual common sense and that is almost unheard of.

Even he new starters don't do the unpaid work for more than a few weeks before catching on at my place, we did athe first figuring it was just teething problems but years in we've reached the f*** em point.

Add to the fact we're now the lowest paid and hardest worked it's not surprising we only got 1 person still at our store after over 100 started.

Oh well last week starts Monday:)

dazzle

« Reply #14 on: 27-11-16, 05:40PM »
They have no idea just how tough a job it is. Should be highest paid job at the store. Fact.

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 27-11-16, 06:23PM »
Can't say I agree it is toughest.  Physically you are only working hard a few minutes every 10 or 15 as the rest of the time you are driving.  Psychologically, I would find working in store a lot tougher as I am someone who prefers not being cooped up and likes my own company.  When asked if I would like to be till-trained I said, Hell no!  Coping with one customer every ten minutes is enough for me.

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 27-11-16, 06:38PM »
I did HGV it was one of the most stressful jobs ever a doctor once told me.

Too many ar**h*le drivers about and poor weather conditions for starters.

Never mind if you done the night shift which has been proved to shorten your life.

« Last Edit: 27-11-16, 06:43PM by JL »

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 27-11-16, 07:32PM »
I meant harder than the other supermarketside, we deliver twice as much as ocado, asda, sainsbury or waitrose.

While we may only make a delivery every 10 minutes it's isn't easy taking 200 kg up 6 flights of stairs, there's a reason the other supermarkets limit what floor and what weight the delivery can be.
Add in the dark and the rain and it's hardly easy, not sure if it's easier away from the city, I'd imagine so as there's fewer flats, but in London it's a bit of a joke.

dazzle

« Reply #18 on: 27-11-16, 09:02PM »
i work for susberrys we deliver to anyfloor anywhere everyday. sometimes less then 10 minutes till next deliverie but im in a town. heavy totes x8 4th floor flats p^ss me off. and trying to find ^imposhihaveahousename^ on a 2 mile road is next to impossible on  a dark night. thats y theres a fail button. use it lol

wheelspin

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 27-11-16, 09:57PM »
I meant harder than the other supermarketside, we deliver twice as much as ocado, asda, sainsbury or waitrose.

While we may only make a delivery every 10 minutes it's isn't easy taking 200 kg up 6 flights of stairs, there's a reason the other supermarkets limit what floor and what weight the delivery can be.
Add in the dark and the rain and it's hardly easy, not sure if it's easier away from the city, I'd imagine so as there's fewer flats, but in London it's a bit of a joke.

Where do you draw the line on stairs.   I will not take them up if its anymore than 1 flight  of stairs. 
If you still have the feeling of control, you are not going fast enough!

Digimon

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 27-11-16, 10:00PM »
i work for susberrys we deliver to anyfloor anywhere everyday. sometimes less then 10 minutes till next deliverie but im in a town. heavy totes x8 4th floor flats p^ss me off. and trying to find ^imposhihaveahousename^ on a 2 mile road is next to impossible on  a dark night. thats y theres a fail button. use it lol

Until you 'fail' a delivery to a top Sainsbury' s bosses wife who then has her partner to hang your arse out to dry?

Somewhere, sometime soon you are down the job centre yourself eh?

Tesco employees sometimes forget that 'fellow' employees/customers are those who dwell a longer way up the chain?
« Last Edit: 27-11-16, 10:03PM by Digimon »
Serving Tesco's ex- shoppers a LIDL better every day

NorthWave

• Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 28-11-16, 03:53AM »
 ;) Every little helps and :-* thank you for your hard work.

johnven

« Reply #22 on: 28-11-16, 03:01PM »
I go in on time, leave on time and have a full lunch break. Vans are normally loaded admittedly. If I do leave late and if there's heavy traffic the 1st couple may be late, however the way the routes come down always catch up and get back on time. Know the system isn't perfect but don't understand how some drivers at my store don't catch up. Customers are understanding if you're running late that you deliver and run, sod the checks that's what the phone number is for. Manager doesn't like it, but don't like us being late either. Only twice in 6 years have I not delivered all my route, both times due to big accidents near my store and couldn't drive past it then back so went back and orders went out on evening van. Normally get splits and have pulled van up in yard at 2 minutes to 6, thrown keys at team support and told them to unload it. Nothing they can do, it's better than not delivering last one and unloading yourself. My store within the m25 but not central,  so area is not huge. However we do get quite bad traffic, seem to remember that was told 10 mins is added to 1st 2 drops travelling time in morning and evening to allow for that.

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 28-11-16, 06:23PM »
Yeah its completely different in rural areas. I work in a rural area & the job is easy. Very few addresses in flats etc & sometimes our runs can be 70-80 miles long with only 5 or so deliveries to make. Most of our day is driving rather than making deliveries. Quite common to put the next customers postcode in the satnav & it being 30+ miles away!!

GreenGrocer

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 28-11-16, 06:24PM »
Deliveries 30 miles apart what a waste of money for Tesco.

Where is the profit in that.