Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23-03-17, 06:14PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 79309
  • Total Topics: 2090
  • Online Today: 155
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: New "My Attendance" policy.  (Read 2488 times)

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
New "My Attendance" policy.
« on: 14-03-17, 07:19AM »
Does the new "My Attendance" policy include a further assault on "Terms and Conditions?" Has anybody read any literature or have any first hand experience?  ??? ??? ???

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: New "My Attendance" policy.
« Reply #1 on: 14-03-17, 11:51AM »
Attendance Policy ...

Is this a new policy to all or just Distribution?

As you are aware SYA is still in place in Distribution, the new sickness process has been delayed in distribution, I remember some time ago that it was mentioned at national level and related down by national reps but with little info, the impression I got was that it was being delayed in distribution, we now are aware of the Restructure which was/is the probably the reason, as with other things being delayed, "there is no point rolling out new policy, which would have to have detailed training for those who may no longer be in the business due to restructure" ( yes all heart aren't they!).

With regard to "Attendance Policy " being the new sickness policy as rolled out to retail, there is some info on here about it with views based on experience.
That particular topic did mention a mangers pack that has FAQ's, one of the questions was, how to deal with a collage who has a potential terminal illness, the answer was nothing short of astounding, it suggested that although at such times it is difficult to deal with the company has to recognise that such individuals may have to be dismissed.

Such a suggestion for me only has one objective, to manage people out of the business to avoid the pension funds having to pay out for death in service, which to me is outrageous, because Death in service is life Cover built into the pension, to manage you out of the business so that you are not "in service" at the point of death or critical illness to the point that even ill health retirement is not available is quite outrageous in my opinion.

I must emphasise here that this is just my opinion and that there is no proof that the company are actively looking to protect the pension pot from big life cover pay outs.

I just think that where funds have a blackhole that they can't meet the planned expectation, the Uncertainty that the life cover and I'll health cover brings to the pot could prove even more problematic for the pension funds, I just didn't expect to see a management pack suggest identifying terminal illness early and then suggest managing that person out of the business.

If these words ever come in black and white or are spoken before me I will challenge them, to me, death in service and I'll health retirement is a right individuals have by being members of the fund, I personally think the company need to be very careful how they deal with such colleagues.

They are rights attached to our pension funds, they are earned rights from participation in the funds, any management style that inherently deprives us of those rights and assurances whether deliberate or as of a consequence should at least be seriously scrutinised in my opinion.

So further assault?
Not a blatant one, but an absolute heartless stance to take and promote.

To me such individuals should have some kind of protection from dismissal because of the impact dismissal has to the life assurance benenfits of the pension fund.
« Last Edit: 14-03-17, 11:57AM by Duracell »
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 14-03-17, 01:19PM »
Imagine a private life assurance policy with critical illness cover, you raise awareness of your potential claim by contacting your broker for a claim form, after your request which indicates a potential claim, the under writer of your policy then cancels said policy.

Similar scenario?
My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Duracell

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 14-03-17, 01:24PM »
What I have mentioned.

What a f*ck**g gem  >:( >:(

Sickness Absence/Manager and People Team area/Managers Guide to the Sickness Absence Policy/

62. How should I manage a colleague with a potentially terminal illness?

This should be managed through the normal long term absence process; however you need to be more
sensitive in these cases.

We understand that it can be very distressing managing some who is terminally ill, but this doesn’t mean that
we shouldn’t manage their absence and consider dismissal, if appropriate, as we don’t always know how
long the colleague may live for.
We should use all the information we have, including advice from
Occupational Health to make an informed decision. Where ill health retirement should be considered, the
colleague should be presented with all the options available to them.

Found here http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?topic=15564.0
« Last Edit: 14-03-17, 01:29PM by Duracell »

Duracell.

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4 on: 14-03-17, 04:22PM »
They really are a piece of work aren't they, how do they get away with it or sleep at night? I hope wishing them ill is not all we can do, got to go got some reading to do.  >:( >:( >:(

redcar renegade

• Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 14-03-17, 04:44PM »
The new policy is meant to be rolled out for distribution sometime soon last i heard from a source .But let's see what surprises they have in store

snowyowl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #6 on: 15-03-17, 08:12AM »
It must have been rolled out somewhere, has anybody seen the policy, is it available to view?

Jonthebarsteward

« Reply #7 on: 15-03-17, 12:22PM »
They've got all the compassion of a wet fish

Mr bean

« Reply #8 on: 15-03-17, 05:01PM »
Only one thing to say about this. The equality act.

Arizonarugby

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 15-03-17, 06:00PM »
I haven't seen the policy yet, but the likelihood is that it will be be similar to my performance, where the emphasis moved from the manger  / company manage an individuals performance, to the individual managing their own performance i.e. give them enough rope they'll hang themselves, which in short translates to please close the door after you leave